U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 07:39 AM

20,285 posts, read 22,288,249 times

Advertisements

MONEY! But not because there is a shortage--rather there is a misuse and redistribution of money AWAY from schools..

Teach for America's Mission in Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 12:47 PM

20,285 posts, read 22,288,249 times
Just read that TFA will be moving into Pittsburgh schools and replacing the higher salaried teachers...

Old 11-15-2013, 03:43 PM

439 posts, read 807,750 times
Horrible. It's all being done for money for the privatizers.

I blame Obama and Duncan directly for this mess.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:14 PM

3,475 posts, read 4,271,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
I blame Obama and Duncan directly for this mess.
I agree. Rahm Emanuel too. Especially the mess in Chicago.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:30 PM

2,909 posts, read 2,858,169 times
I read it today too. The tide is beginning to turn though. They have "awakened the mommies" in Long Island, and they are not only not backing down, they are going on the offensive for their schools. If they get righteously irate, they will begin to speak out about the conditions for poor children who are the "beneficiaries" of these brainwashed TFA social climbers whom they would never allow to teach their own children.

Diane Ravitch posted a lampoon of the TFA today that was very humorous.

Quote:
Charles Parrish of Wayne State University submitted the following proposal:

Surgeons United who Care for America (SUCA*)

This is to announce the establishment of a new approach to surgery in the United States: Surgeons for America (SUCA). Following in the high-heeled footprints of Michelle Rhee and Wendy Kopp, we will employ the model of Teach for America (TFA). That model involves the recruiting bright young graduates of our best colleges and universities, providing them with 5 or 6 weeks of training, and then sending them out to provide high-value surgical operations for patients at low cost. They will replace older surgeons who have become set in their ways and have lost the ignorant, enthusiastic arrogance of youth.

Last edited by lhpartridge; 11-15-2013 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: repair formatting

Old 11-15-2013, 04:57 PM

5,382 posts, read 9,430,028 times
Plenty of blame to go around on this. Don't for a minute think that pols on both sides of aisle aren't lining up for this.

lhpartridge, I hope you're right and I hope it's not too late.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:23 PM

2,909 posts, read 2,858,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Plenty of blame to go around on this. Don't for a minute think that pols on both sides of aisle aren't lining up for this.

The civil rights struggle in the South would never have succeeded if "uppity New York Yankees" hadn't come down here to fight and die for the rights of blacks who were virtually powerless. It was only after the rest of the country woke up to reality that change gained ground. I have to hope that once the reform movement is broken by middle class parents who know and trust their children's teachers, they will look beyond their own communities to ensure that the trough-feeders stay away from more vulnerable schools.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:10 PM

3,475 posts, read 4,271,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post

You are absolutely right. Both sides share the blame.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:18 PM

5,414 posts, read 8,170,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
MONEY! But not because there is a shortage--rather there is a misuse and redistribution of money AWAY from schools..
A misuse and redistribution of money.... in Chicago? Business as usual... Karen Lewis isn't looking so bad now, as compared to the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or