U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 10:09 PM

464 posts, read 387,712 times
Default Tips on finding a job?

I graduated college in 2005 and then a few years later decided to go through an alternative teaching program. I passed my content test (Generalist 4-8) and my PPR test to meet highly qualified status. I did do a three month internship back in the fall of 2009, but I wasn't recommended by the teacher I was assigned too. That kind of made me want to move on to something else. However, I did substitute a year before(2008) and also the last few months of 2009 after the internship, as well as 2010 through the fall of 2011 before doing something else in another field.

Last year I worked at a teacher aide at a elementary school in the school district I went to. The teacher I was working under (who I've known for a few years) thought I did an excellent job and so did the principal and assistant principal, and the principal wanted me to put him as a reference on my resume. I also helped out by designing some lesson plans, grading papers, and teaching some material on my own accord. I felt I needed to do my fair share of the workload and didn't have a problem with it. I even came in a few Sundays even though I didn't have to. Again I felt I needed to be helping out even though I don't get paid anything as a teacher aide.

Now I have been to several job fairs (two for Dallas ISD and one for Mesquite ISD where I work and know principals who used to be my teachers back in the day), and I have been applying to different positions for different school districts around the Dallas/FT Worth area as well as being proactive and calling the individual schools I applied for to see if the positions were still open and how to get an interview or what's the next step after applying within the last few weeks since principals are now officially back on campus and trying to hire people.

I'm just curious what else I should be doing because I've had one interview, and that was for a middle school I applied for in the city I live in by handing my resume to the school personally one day.

The first day of school officially starts for most school districts on the 26th of August, and I don't know how late schools still want to be interviewing potential candidates for filling teaching positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 05:45 AM

7,556 posts, read 10,058,873 times
Look here Teachers-Teachers. And K12jobspot

Old 08-10-2013, 08:42 AM

2,166 posts, read 1,430,465 times
Do you want to stay in your area? Las Vegas, I know, is still interviewing teachers.

It's probably too late to get a contract for this year, but you might get lucky. In the meantime, you could substitute teach or even volunteer a few hours a week at a school to start networking. I don't know your particular situation and am not sure if you could make this work.

What was your original major in?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Do you want to stay in your area? Las Vegas, I know, is still interviewing teachers.

It's probably too late to get a contract for this year, but you might get lucky. In the meantime, you could substitute teach or even volunteer a few hours a week at a school to start networking. I don't know your particular situation and am not sure if you could make this work.

What was your original major in?
I'm working as a teacher aide. I've already done substituting. Not doing that again. Also, I already know 5 principals in the district I'm currently working in who used to be my teachers.

My bachelors is in history. Certification is in Generalist 4-8.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:43 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,044,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
I'm working as a teacher aide. I've already done substituting. Not doing that again. Also, I already know 5 principals in the district I'm currently working in who used to be my teachers.

If you already have a job, don't want to substitute, know principals and want to stay where you are, I don't know if you will find new tips here. Most of the tips will include thinking and going outside where you are now. My suggestion is to keep networking as much as you can where you are, spread the word you want a position, be willing to take what comes up if its that critical, with the hopes of transferring if need be in the future. Join groups with other teachers and/ or take advantage of training offered to meet more people to network. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:48 AM

5,226 posts, read 6,587,243 times
Quote:

So let's tackle one question: Are you willing and able to move or do you need to stay in your current area?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:51 AM

74,466 posts, read 34,736,866 times
Quote:

Generalist 4-8 kinda limits you in Texas.
6-7-8 also want the content tests passed like Math 4-8, etc.

And the TEA is changing this all up next year.
They are getting rid of the 4-8 series of certs

It's going to be EC-6 and then 7-12
Up until Feb I was qualified to teach Math 6th grade. But then generalist 4-8 became required.
I'm no longer highly qualified to teach Math because I have not mastered science, ELA and history from the generalist test

Now I can either take the generalist 4-8 test and be able to teach Math 6-7-8 or take my Math 8-12 and be able to teach 7-12 Math only. I'm swaying towards Math 8-12 and might take the generalist 4-8 before they change it next year just to have it in my back pocket.

Might want to check the TEA site to make sure you are still "highly qualified".

Just goes to show you what "highly qualified" really means and how you can lose that status in the blink of an eye.

Also being ESL certified helps in the lower grades.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
So let's tackle one question: Are you willing and able to move or do you need to stay in your current area?
I have to stay in the Dallas/Forth Worth area and teach for a year as part of the rules of the alternative teaching program I was in. If I do well, assuming if I got hired, then I could move anywhere and get more certifications under my belt.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:30 AM

5,226 posts, read 6,587,243 times
Quote:
I have to stay in the Dallas/Forth Worth area and teach for a year as part of the rules of the alternative teaching program I was in. If I do well, assuming if I got hired, then I could move anywhere and get more certifications under my belt.
Ok. I agree with what choff5 posted.
Good luck!

Old 08-11-2013, 10:14 AM
LLN

3,555 posts, read 4,251,459 times
If you really want to teach, you need to do better on certifications than generalists...not even sure what it means. The ticket is "dual certifications/will coach" That, and a very business like appearance on an interview will probably get you a job at any middle school in the world. In the first sentence of every interview (though you will only need one) you need to say your certifications and you would "love to coach." Not, I dont mind coaching, but I would love to coach.

Oh yeah, if you can talk a little CCSS and "PROJECT BASED LEARNING" that will ensure success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching