Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 29,239 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm getting my Florida's regular teacher certification on December.
I will be relocating to California right after I get my degree and the teacher certification.
Is the florida's teacher certification going to be transferred? If not, should I take some course works again in order to get California credential?
I know that some other states grant a temporary certificate first, and then give the permanent one if you pass the required exams within a year or so.
Can anyone clarify this issue..??
Appreciate your time in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 03:55 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
All information can be found here: California Commission on Teacher Credentialing

Depends what you want certified in.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 AM

442 posts, read 1,077,536 times
Short answer is "no." You HAVE to meet the requirements for California licensure before you can be licensed in the state.

"Reciprocity" is a myth by and large. Most if not all states REQUIRE you meet that state's requirements before you are allowed to teach in the state. You don't just "exchange" one state certificate for another.

California is one state that is extremely picky about teachers. Oregon is another.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:57 PM

9 posts, read 29,239 times
Thank you for all your answers.

I thought I would be getting a preliminary certificate once I apply with my degree and FL's teacher certification(K-12 music). And I need to pass the CBEST within a year..
But do you mean that I wont even be able to get the preliminary certificate???

Below are the requirements for the preliminary certification and clear certification.
I think I got the first part, but I really don't understand what I will need to do to get the clear certification.

Are they basically saying that I may need to take some courses again to (1) meet the subject-matter competence, (2) complete a Commission-approved general education instruction program and (3) earn an authorization to teacher the English learners? I took an ESOL method class(3credit) but I don't have an ESOL(or ESL) endorsement.
This is really confusing..
Can anybody help me with this?
Any comments would be highly appreciated!
Thank you!
http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/CREDS/elementary.html

[ROUTE 1 – Less than Two Years of Out-of-State Teaching Experience Requirements for the Five-Year Preliminary Single Subject Teaching Credential Individuals prepared outside of California who have less than two years of out-of-state full-time teaching experience (see Terms and Definitions) may qualify for a California teaching credential by documenting all of the following:

Requirements for the Clear Single Subject Teaching Credential for Route 1
Individuals who qualify for the preliminary credential via Route 1 must complete all of the following to qualify for the clear credential:

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-11-2013 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: copyright - you can't just post huge chunks from other websites.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:42 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
The English learner authorization is huge here.

Also, CA doesn't use the national teaching tests but has its own. I believe you would have to pass those, and they are usually said to be harder than the national ones. (I don't think they're actually difficult, though.)

Old 09-11-2013, 07:41 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
This site might help: TEACH California | Common Questions

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post

Also, CA doesn't use the national teaching tests but has its own. I believe you would have to pass those, and they are usually said to be harder than the national ones. (I don't think they're actually difficult, though.)
Oregon is identical to California in having its own tests. Without the out-of-state teaching experience, you will have to take the tests.

Oregon is REALLY bad for out-of-state teachers. They require that teachers from other states have FIVE YEARS OF TEACHING EXPERIENCE IN ONE SUBJECT AREA to be equal to somebody who went to school in the state but has never taught a day in his or her life and not have to take the stupid tests. It's an outrage, an insult.

Oregon, however, has virtual real reciprocity to California on licensure and vice versa. That's because so many Oregon grads move to California to teach.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post

If they are like Oregon's subject matter tests, they are hard, don't kid yourself, unless you are a recent college graduate and the subject matter is fresh.

It's a LOT different for people who have been out of college for awhile.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 7,772 times
Reading this thread was:

1.) Discouraging
2.) Exactly against what fellow teachers should be doing, which is helping and educating. We are all in this together.

I did not read one helpful or encouraging thing in this entire thread, I don't want to hear how impossible it is, but what one could do to teach in CA. Really it can not be impossible. Saying it is, really is disrespecting the teacher with essentially the same education as you.

Sometimes moving is not an option and neither is finding a job, so figuring out how to do something from people who are living in the state currently is really helpful.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:26 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post

Two things - this is an old thread and Did you see my post? ^^^^

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching