Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:57 PM

529 posts, read 1,979,372 times

Advertisements

Come and try Union County NC. We are the 7th fastest county in the US and there are plenty of jobs. Also, this area is the only in the US where home sales/values continue to rise. You can easily get a 2000 sq/ft home for around 169000. This is a great area to live and work. We also have a lot of people move from NY, PA, OH, and FL. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 02:04 PM

102 posts, read 338,408 times
Some of the counties in Central Florida are layoff teachers. Port St. Lucie (PSL)district I hear has a hiring freeze. Yes, Michigan pays very well, however the job market is poor and an out of state teacher getting a job there will be next to impossible. Many new teacher grads down here in FLA. that wish they could be teaching back in Michigan.
You would do well to secure a position before coming down then rent. You will be taking a paycut.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:05 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times
Since it is a right to work state, and being a teacher in Florida, I can tell you there isn't security in the schools for teachers. You can get pushed out like that with no reasons. There are huge hiring freezes in Manatee and Sarasota counties and Manatee has even started laying off teachers. Id rule out those areas too. HA, and we thought this was a stable career? Lee county could be a good option, they pay well and you may be able to get a nice condo or townhouse in the area. I don't think their school district is making budget cuts. As far as single family home, I don't think you'll find much you'd want to live in! You could go into the inner city and teach in Polk or Orange county but I don't think you could buy much in that area as well. I'd check out Lee county, areas like Ft Myers, Naples, Cape Coral, Lehigh Acres.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:15 PM

847 posts, read 3,520,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oobie119 View Post
I'd check out Lee county, areas like Ft Myers, Naples, Cape Coral, Lehigh Acres.
Do not even waste your time looking in Lee or Collier counties, there are NO jobs and some of us with jobs will not have them next year.
The state of Florida education is in the toilet even more so than before.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:21 PM

3 posts, read 8,654 times
The Florida Virtual Academy and The Florida Virtual School are looking for teachers. FLVA and FLVS are online public schools that a LOT of families are turning to because of the poor curriculum and behavior problems in the classroom. Whatever you do, avoid Duval County. Clay County and St. John's county are the places to live if you want to teach in a brick and mortar school.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:23 PM

5 posts, read 14,672 times
I currently teach in Queens and am considering moving to Florida. I need to be close to my mom who is in her late 80's. Even though some of you have posted negative responses, I still am thinking of moving because of the emotional reasons. Right now, my experience in teaching is terrible. I wake up every morning dreading school. The administration in schools now seems to be out to 'get' teachers. Many teachers who have been working for 10+ years have been told they are unsatisfactory and have to be monitored. We use the workshop model here. Students sit in groups of four and have to work on a task. In reality, they are having fun talking and playing around in class. The work is usually done by one or two students, while the others sign their names and get just as much credit as it they had actually done something. These students are rude, nasty and disrespectful to the teachers. Teachers are acused by students of several wrongdoings and must be investigated even though students have not produced any proof. Teachers are the lowest paid and least respected workers in any school. The amount of paperwork done by teachers is tremendous now because we are required to grade everything: homework, classwork, tests, quizzes and projects. You must use rubrics for everything and they must be posted. You are told when and what type of exam to give. You must produce evidence that you are grading everything and how you created the grades. Failing students must be given extra work to make up for what they didn't feel like doing when you assigned it. You are pressured to give seniors a passing grade even if they did not turn in a single piece of paper all year. Teachers drag home piles of papers that must be graded on your own time. You have little time for yourself during school months. Yes, the pay is better but look at how you must live while you earn this money.

Old 12-12-2017, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,140 times
Can anybody tell me anything positive or negative about Victoria trails in deland florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching