Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:56 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Everything in life, including your life, is timed. College entrance exams, professional licensing exams, etc are all timed, so it's something he'll never get away from.

Perhaps you need to have him tested for special ed modifications, one of the more common is extra time on tests and assignments.

One is nottested for modifications, they are tested for academic DEFICITS--which this child would not seem to have.

Working slow is not a qualification for SpEd. The question remains is why is the student needing so much time? What has changed from his 7th grade setting to now>?

How much extra time does he need? How long are the tests? If the test is for the entire period (40-55 minutes) and 99% of the class is finishing, why can't he?

If the tests are for X amount of time, are the questions such that they should be done witin the time alloted>?

This is beginning to sound like an attack on a teacher when the responsibility might just need to be placed on the student?

SPECIAL EDUCATION DOES NOT SOLVE EVERY PROBLEM...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 10:21 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
If eight children do not finish, then I would suspect that the test is written poorly.

I don't disagree with other general arguments here, but assuming this is a normal class size or, let's pretend, 30ish students - then a good 1/4 of the students didn't even finish.

People talk a lot about test-taking as a skill (which it is), but so is test-writing. I've seen some horrible tests in my time, ones that were written poorly and didn't accurately test student knowledge. If EIGHT children couldn't finish my test, then I would start with myself as the problem, not the student.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Is it OCD? Sounds like he fears failure and therfore takes extra time to double and triple check his work...
The mother mentioned the more she works with him, the more nervous he becomes. That's a huge clue that she's the main cause of his anxiety. Oh, wait, I mean "perfectionism."

Old 11-19-2013, 12:48 PM

21 posts, read 52,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
The mother mentioned the more she works with him, the more nervous he becomes. That's a huge clue that she's the main cause of his anxiety. Oh, wait, I mean "perfectionism."
Seattlenextyear, it looks like you misunderstand my posts. Why don't you read it twice; take your time. Hopefully then you will stop misinterpreting the content.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS81 View Post
Seattlenextyear, it looks like you misunderstand my posts. Why don't you read it twice; take your time. Hopefully then you will stop misinterpreting the content.
Lol, what are you going to do? Sue me?

If you don't want people misinterpreting you, get better at communicating. Stop projecting your own problems onto others.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Lol, what are you going to do? Sue me?

If you don't want people misinterpreting you, get better at communicating. Stop projecting your own problems onto others.
No, I'm not going to sue you. I will just ignore you. People who look for an argument and who love to put others down need to be not taken seriously. So, keep posting all of your mean comments if this is what makes you feel better. Your rudeness will not affect me at all.

P.S. Look first at your own communication skills before you judge others.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:54 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times
Quote:
No, I'm not going to sue you. I will just ignore you. People who look for an argument and who love to put others down need to be not taken seriously. So, keep posting all of your mean comments if this is what makes you feel better. Your rudeness will not affect me at all.

but, according to you, we have all been rude..and hey i thought you were leaving? You gotta stop playing with my emotions like that. Lol

Old 11-19-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:

We are helping you by providing some perspective on the situation. You are choosing to ignore our advice. Until you address the underlying problems and stop blaming others, your son is going to continue to fail his classes.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
but, according to you, we have all been rude..and hey i thought you were leaving? You gotta stop playing with my emotions like that. Lol
Not all of you. Some individuals tried to help me and gave me honest/ good advises. Thank you so much to people who did that.

By saying, "this is the first time I joined the forum... and the last time," I meant that I won't post any new subjects. I will still though read the comments related to this topic. Hope you don't mind.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:30 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Agreed and if I were the parent after talking unsucessfully to the teacher I would be making an appointment with the Principal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching