Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 04:31 PM

25 posts, read 127,394 times

Advertisements

To become a high school English teacher, do you have to have a degree specifically in English? I'm a prospective student at USC and want to major in Narrative Studies, an interdisciplinary major in the English department, but I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to get a job as an English teacher unless I have a degree in English. Does anyone know? I can't seem to find the answer online. Thanks.

EDIT: I currently live in California and probably will want to stay in the state and teach, but not 100% sure at the moment. I'm also interested in teaching ESL abroad for a year or two after graduation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 04:36 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
You should call the local school boards and ask what they need. It depends on location. Here, you need a 5 year education degree with English as your specialization - or ESL.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:53 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
You need course work that will match your states erducational requirements for an endorsement in ENGLISH. You also need to complete a tEACHER PREP program.

You can always go to Teach for America---THEY TAKE ANYONE WITH A PULSE.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:30 AM

432 posts, read 760,637 times
Some states want a degree in education with a concentration in English. Some want a degree in English.

I teach Language Arts. Great stuff.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:40 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
Requirements vary by state. Since you are interested in CA, contact the state education department for the requireuments. It's probably on their website. I do believe there is some sort of test everyone has to take to prove that you can teach in English besides the state teacher exam. You can also contact the education department at USC. I'm sure there are people there who know the requirements for certification.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:49 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
You need course work that will match your states erducational requirements for an endorsement in ENGLISH. You also need to complete a tEACHER PREP program.

You can always go to Teach for America---THEY TAKE ANYONE WITH A PULSE.
I'm not a Teach for America fan, but are you trying for sarcasm with that statement?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...8bsI_blog.html

Quote:
The incoming teachers have an average GPA of 3.6 and all of them have held some sort of leadership position in college, according to Teach for America.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:12 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I'm not a Teach for America fan, but are you trying for sarcasm with that statement?

Teach for America 2011 acceptance rate: 11 percent - Campus Overload - The Washington Post

Meaning they do not care if you can teach, know how to teach or understand the concept of teaching--TFA will put anyone in the classroom regardless of aptitude or pedagogical insight.

As we all know, therer are a lot of uninformed people graduating from college and a 3.6 plus GPA is not always a reliable indicator of knowledge..

And when you have 10-20 times the number of applicants as there are positions, the acceptance rate is bound to be less than 50%.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:10 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaGold View Post
To become a high school English teacher, do you have to have a degree specifically in English? I'm a prospective student at USC and want to major in Narrative Studies, an interdisciplinary major in the English department, but I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to get a job as an English teacher unless I have a degree in English. Does anyone know? I can't seem to find the answer online. Thanks.

EDIT: I currently live in California and probably will want to stay in the state and teach, but not 100% sure at the moment. I'm also interested in teaching ESL abroad for a year or two after graduation.
You need a degree in education, not English. You can't teach unless you complete an approved teacher licensure program - which your school's education department would have. Then you get a certification or endorsement in English by taking a certain number of English and English education courses. However, there is little market for high school English teachers. You would be more marketable if you studied ESL also called TESOL or applied linguistics) and got a certification in that instead. It's very similar in terms of subject matter and would probably allow you to take many English classes in college. Naturally, this would also take care of the teaching abroad.

None of the states I am familiar with allow teaching with just a subject degree, and if CA is an exception then that would be surprising, but I guess possible. You can check the state's dept of education website about teacher licensure.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:16 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Meaning they do not care if you can teach, know how to teach or understand the concept of teaching--TFA will put anyone in the classroom regardless of aptitude or pedagogical insight.

As we all know, therer are a lot of uninformed people graduating from college and a 3.6 plus GPA is not always a reliable indicator of knowledge..

And when you have 10-20 times the number of applicants as there are positions, the acceptance rate is bound to be less than 50%.
That's quite a bit different then "anyone with a pulse."

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching