Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 05:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times

Advertisements

For the last ten or so years our school district has had early dismissal days to allow the teachers to have extended time to plan together & work on curriculum with other teachers.. The last few years early dismissal days have been every other Wednesday. The dates are listed on the school yearly calendar, school monthly hot lunch menu, weekly school newsletter, posted on the school website and most teachers include the next date in their weekly classroom newsletter. The school is very accommodating and offers free after school care if it doesn't work out with your schedule, but you must sign up for the free care.

The last one was in mid December. When I left the school about 40 minutes after dismissal time (I was a sub.teacher and allowed to leave at early dismissal -after I corrected all the papers , etc). I was shocked that the entire school office was still jam packed with kids, probably a full dozen. You would think that by December parents would have finally gotten this on their calendar. Sheesh! Secretaries were pulling their hair out in frustration. One secretary told me,"I called four different parent and emergency numbers for one child and not one number was still in service".

I happened to walk out the front door with one dad and young child and the dad was doing some serious complaining about the school. "They called me at work and got me off the job to pick up my child! The school should notify parents in advance about things like this!" I politely replied to the dad that the school puts all of the early dismissal days on the yearly school calendar. If you lost your calendar just ask for another one tomorrow. He was still pretty angry so I high-tailed it to my car.

There really isn't a question just a vent. And a request!

Parents, write early dismissal days, in-service days and vacation days on your home calendar, or day planner, or electric schedule or whatever you use. . In my district the official yearly calendar is sent home with the June report cards (for the following year) and sent home the first day of school. Transfer it to your home calendar or tape it to the wall where you can check it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 05:17 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Our students leave 2.5 hours early every Monday, so it doesn't catch anyone by surprise.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:19 PM

45,335 posts, read 60,500,026 times
They know. They don't believe their kids sometimes. Other times they don't trust the kids at home. Some just can't tell time.

Why are you correcting the sub work?

Old 12-19-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They know. They don't believe their kids sometimes. Other times they don't trust the kids at home. Some just can't tell time.

Why are you correcting the sub work?
Every other Wednesday afternoon----pretty tough to remember. (sarcastic).

I may have been unclear, I was the sub so I stayed late correcting the papers that I needed to correct for the regular teacher.
Sorry, but sometimes it is confusing as I am retired but still often refer to my former school as "my school" on C-D.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:10 PM

136 posts, read 239,124 times
Isnt this stuff online? Every school year i would get the school calendar from the website and put all the off days on my work calendar, put a copy on the fridge and put them on my phone. This stuff is always planned a head of time. No excuse not to know, even for new parents.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiShi View Post
Isnt this stuff online? Every school year i would get the school calendar from the website and put all the off days on my work calendar, put a copy on the fridge and put them on my phone. This stuff is always planned a head of time. No excuse not to know, even for new parents.

I understood. Why are you correcting the work?

Old 12-20-2013, 09:20 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Jeez, I've already updated my calendar for the 2013-2014 school year. It's been available for a couple of months on our district website.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Every other Wednesday afternoon----pretty tough to remember. (sarcastic).

I may have been unclear, I was the sub so I stayed late correcting the papers that I needed to correct for the regular teacher.
Sorry, but sometimes it is confusing as I am retired but still often refer to my former school as "my school" on C-D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I understood. Why are you correcting the work?
In the school districts where I live, if a teacher assigns work for Wednesday and there is a sub on Wednesday the substitute teacher corrects the work that the students do that day. This is only if it is something with answers that are clear cut right or wrong, such as a spelling test, math assignment or multiple choice/T & F assignment or test. A sub teacher would not correct anything subjective such as handwriting or writing assignments or art projects.

I'm confused, do sub teachers just leave stacks of uncorrected work for the regular teacher to correct the next day in your school? Or are you confused that I stayed 40 minutes late, to write a note for the teacher, straighten up and organize the classroom and correct some papers? Or did I miss something else?

Old 12-20-2013, 11:10 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,185,269 times
If it is on the calendar hanging on the wall someone has to look at the calendar. Some people are too busy to do that.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
In the school districts where I live, if a teacher assigns work for Wednesday and there is a sub on Wednesday the substitute teacher corrects the work that the students do that day. This is only if it is something with answers that are clear cut right or wrong, such as a spelling test, math assignment or multiple choice/T & F assignment or test. A sub teacher would not correct anything subjective such as handwriting or writing assignments or art projects.

I'm confused, do sub teachers just leave stacks of uncorrected work for the regular teacher to correct the next day in your school? Or are you confused that I stayed 40 minutes late, to write a note for the teacher, straighten up and organize the classroom and correct some papers? Or did I miss something else?
We couldn't get a sub to show up if they had to correct the work. Remember our subs have to be high school graduates, breathing and no recent felony convictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching