Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,377,066 times

Advertisements

Get some tranquilizers and calm yourself down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,954,964 times
I learned a very valuable trick at an in-service many years ago. It is called the circle of confidence. When I am fretting about something or need a confidence boost or have to face something unpleasant I literally take one step forward into my imaginary circle of confidence. I straighten up, stand tall and say to myself "I can do this. I am a winner. I am successful. I am competent." and then I face whatever it is I need to face. Perhaps something like that would be helpful to you.

Other people may have other ways of building confidence. Perhaps practicing in front of a mirror or videotaping yourself and reviewing the tape. Or some type of positive self-talk. Or friends cheering you on.

One of my first years of teaching in a new school district was very rough, a very large class, not enough books or materials, no prep time, a jerk for a principal, a particularly obnoxious and litigious parent of one of my students, plus more. I had two things that kept me going. I kept a copy of a reference from one of my professors that was extremely complimentary about my teaching skills in my desk drawer and frequently reread it. I also wrote down my half day wages. When I made it to lunch I would look at the paper and think "Wow, I just earned another $$." And at the end of the day I would again think "I made it another day and earned $$."

Perhaps some tricks like these will help you get back (or get started) on the right track.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-18-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,550,405 times
I guess it is time to face the music.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:52 AM

4 posts, read 3,914 times
I'm an ESOL MA student teacher right now. Trust me...you'll make mistakes that goes beyond your imagination unintentionally. Plus, if you don't communicate with your Co-teacher, it can get worse due to miscommunication.

Don't beat yourself around the bush. Get it through and you'll be proud of yourself. Make note of your mistakes so that you don't do them again. Even if you DO make notes of them, sometimes it's difficult to keep it in your mind because so many other things are happening around you. That's why teachers say that their first year is difficult.

I'm afraid of failing too....I thought I'd rock the classroom before student teaching. Things happen and they may not be the way you imagined. Same with your lesson plans. Keep tweeking it and keep communicating with your CT. I am half done with my student teaching, and the more I teach, I'm learning that I need to polish myself more and more.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching