Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 02:27 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You may end up wishing you hadn't giving up frustrated over cell phone use by middle class students.

You've glossed over and dismissed some reality stories like they won't exist where you're going.

I've been in rough schools. Have you ever done gang tattoo checks at first period ?
Anyone with a visible gang tattoo had to go to the office to get it covered with a big bandage.
How's about when the police and drug dogs show up at your door for a random check ?
Are you getting gang training ? It's to your benefit to recognize the gang colors, tattoos and symbols.

I pointed out to one naive teacher with a drawing of the Latin Kings gang symbol hanging on her wall that it was more than "nice art" by a student. She called me on it and I got on the web and showed her the Latin Kings crown. Told her that by hanging it on the wall she was showing favor for Latin King gang members and Bloods wouldn't like her for that.
I haven't glossed them over. Classroom issues are contextual. I realize the issues will be different in a school in Detroit but the issues in the suburban school I teach in are contrived. Here my job is to give out A's to the right students whether they deserve them or not. There my job will be to pass students who put in minimal effort but minimal effort may be all they have to give. My valedictorian wannabes just want a distinction they have not earned. Passing kids who should have failed because failing them does them no good is very different from giving A's to kids who earned B's because of pressure from above to keep parents happy.

Gang issues definitely concern me. However, this is a charter school and I would think they wouldn't tolerate gang activity but I just don't know. I've come to the conclusion I have a choice between the devil I know and the devil I don't know here. I know this school will bring a whole new set of issues. I've decided to stick with the devil I know. I'm sure there will be plenty of jobs in Detroit for the taking next fall if I'm unemployed and I can try teaching in Detroit then....after having read some books on African American and urban culture. Given the school is in Detroit, I'm amazed at how even the balances came out but I'm really just guessing as to what kinds of issues I'll have in Detroit. I've taught in a charter before and taught kids from Detroit in that charter but these were kids who had parents who cared enough to drive them to the suburbs to go to school and I'm sure they're in a different class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
If it is an EAA school, I would seriously consider the offer. Their salary scale is pre set and only increases based on experience.

If it is not an EAA school, I would probably continue to look for a more stable position. I have yet to hear of or find a decent charter school that treats teachers well. As you said, higher paid teachers always GO OUT THE DOOR first. If it is a "prep" type school like a Plymouth Educational or such, there will be "A's" to be given like candy. Urban schools are even worse when it comes to being a 4.0 student. If it is not a prep style school, be prepared to teach less than 10% of the class as the rest will be in their own world and have ZERO interest in you or your content.

And rest assured they raised the offer because the have no one else in line. SHould they find a new graduate who will work for less in September, they will most likely hire that person.

A school I was at last year on Woodward near the old Model A plant wentr through the same with science teachers. AT last the hired a really good chemistry teacher, but alas the school cut him loose because he was too opiniated and the Physics teacher just left around April after being hired in January.

Just ain't nothing like trying to teach in Urbania...
It's not an EAA school. It's a charter school and I've decided to hold out for a better offer somewhere else. I had an offer in an EAA school before Christmas but they wanted me to teach chemistry without a lab to HUGE classes (30+ students) and I just don't know how to do that. I'm sure it can be done but I would not want to come in mid year, after a long term sub had been in position for an entire semester and figure out how to do it. I'd want to walk in day one with everything planned out so that my students don't think I don't know what I'm doing. I would have been winging it to have taken that job mid year and just couldn't do that but I have a feeling that job or another just like it will be open at an EAA school next fall.

The EAA pay scales isn't bad. $50K for 0-3 years experience, $55K for 3-5 years experience and $60K for 6+ years of experience with a 7.5% match on a 401K. Another reason to wait until next fall on the EAA School is that I'll be at the $60K pay rate. Their school year is longer but I think we need a longer school year myself. The pay's not that great considering you work 6 weeks longer but it's much better than what most charter's offer. I was really surprised that this charter offered what they did. I was expecting an offer in the $40's not the $50's.

I think I will end up teaching in the city. I really don't fit in in the land of MK purses, Ugh boots and grade inflation. It amazes me when parents pull kids out of school to go on vacation the week before finals and then demand their child be excused from work missed because they came back too late to make it up before the end of the semester. For all it's issues, teaching in the city offers one thing I don't have and that is the opportunity to make a difference. That is something.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I second the comments that warn of students testing you every minute of every day. Like sharks going after chum, these students will likely make sport of seeing how much they can dish out to you. If you leave, they win, and they will be playing to win. I assure you that you will be able to find a position in a Detroit school for next school year, if you choose to leave then. Your current situation may or may not improve or worsen, but the devil you do know is often better than the devil you don't. Be very cautious about this decision. Assume that the worst that can happen will happen.

If it were me, I would tough it out until the end of the year and go to every Detroit job fair that they have. I would also be extremely cautious about working at another charter school. So many of them operate in ways counterproductive to teaching staff stability. If you get into a regular Detroit school, you will be able to keep your retirement and probably your insurance.

Good luck.
THIS is the deciding factor. That is a very good point. When it comes to finding a job in Detroit, there is no need to move mid year. All a mid year move does is get me out of the denial of tenure situation with my principal and part of me wants to see if he really can do it or is just blowing smoke.

It is nice to have someone wanting me enough to make a decent wage offer but there will be plenty of jobs in Detroit next year and I doubt they will care about my being denied tenure if that comes to fruition. And leaving now doesn't really hurt my principal. He'll just play it as I'm unethical and didn't care about the kids and no one will even think about the fact that teachers do not leave mid year without good reason. He will have to scramble to replace me but with the reputation of the district he will have no trouble finding my replacement. So I'm choosing the devil I know until the end of the year. If he does deny tenure, I'll go look for a job in Detroit at an EAA school. They pay better than Charter schools and, from what I've seen, have better security and that could make a difference.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:09 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
My question is..this makes job what 3 or 4 or more in your short teaching career. Eventually schools will say "what is wrong with HER that she can't keep a job"...this might be that breaking point...

Old 01-29-2014, 07:12 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,041 times
I wouldn't take it for the following reasons:

1. If they are trying to recruit you, they're showing all the good points and none of the bad. You have no way to know what it will really be like.

2. Teaching low SES students can be as difficult and demanding as the situation you currently have, if not more. Do not assume these kids are going to be on the edge of their chair begging for knowledge. There will be some of those kids, just like you probably have some now. But there will be many who are as apathetic as your current students. You may find parental support is much lower.

3. Switching schools mid-year is a death sentence for getting rehired. I would not do it for an unknown situation like the one you are describing. This is THE single most important reason I would not take it. I would stick the year out and see what you could find in the summer if it turns out you don't get tenure, or you don't want to stay.

4. Your principal sounds awful. I've had some of those. However, eventually they've moved on. Or the climate of campus changes because certain teachers retire. I would try to stay off the radar and wait to see if the situation changes.

5. The pay differential/benefits doesn't sound attractive enough that it would be worth it to me.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
One good thing from this Ivory, that should ease some of the worries you had, if they'll offer you a job mid year knowing you'd be walking out on a job, they will offer one next summer. It doesn't sound like they will care about tenure either. Hang in there, you only have a couple of months left where that principal can make your life hard.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
My question is..this makes job what 3 or 4 or more in your short teaching career. Eventually schools will say "what is wrong with HER that she can't keep a job"...this might be that breaking point...
I'm in my second position. The first was a low paying charter school that is known for turning over 40% of their teachers every year. They're a place to get your first couple of years in while you look for something else. Leaving this district is what people will raise an eyebrow to. On the surface, working here looks really pretty.

I am concerned as to how leaving this job will look but I can't change anything here. For a while, I thought if I tried to give my principal what he wanted I'd be ok but he just changes what he wants so that I never succeed. It's so bad that I cannot meet with him without a union rep so that there aren't any miscommunications and the union has to correct his recollections repeatedly. I have NEVER had an issue with not understanding what my boss wanted before in over 30 years of work history. I've come to the conclusion that my situation is like the paddle that used to hang in the principal's office when I was in school. The principal had to use it just often enough to keep us afraid of it. I think he's going to run me out as a display of his power hoping to instill fear in the other teachers. I think he's decided to command with fear because he can't command respect. The union tells me, I'm not the only teacher he attacks like this. I'm just the one who cannot be protected because I'm not tenured. The others have past evaluations written by other people to fall back on. I don't.

Rumor has it he's not long for the district but I don't think he'll be gone fast enough to help me. A friend works at his last district and told me that he escaped being fired by quitting to take the job he has now. Unfortunately, sometimes you just happen into jobs that suck but the world never believes you. It is what it is and I have to do the best I can because that's all I can do. I can't change it. I have to do my best in spite of it.

I know this. My next jump has to be my last. Lhpartridge is right in that there will be plenty of jobs in Detroit next year if my worst fears are realized. This job wasn't attractive to me because it was what I wanted. It was attractive because it would have gotten me away from my principal and that's not a good reason to jump. Lhpartridge is right. My worst case is he succeeds in denying me tenure and I go find a job in Detroit next year. There's really no point in jumping before I have to. On the bright side, I'll get unemployment for the summer.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
One good thing from this Ivory, that should ease some of the worries you had, if they'll offer you a job mid year knowing you'd be walking out on a job, they will offer one next summer. It doesn't sound like they will care about tenure either. Hang in there, you only have a couple of months left where that principal can make your life hard.
I agree. The fact they offered me this job and then came back with a higher wage offer when I turned it down says I'm marketable. Maybe not to suburban districts but I am to charter schools and EAA schools. I do find the prospect of being somewhere where I can actually make a difference attractive. Where I am now it's all just politics.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:40 PM

442 posts, read 1,077,799 times
You are in a no-win situation.

Any option you take is not going to be good.

Detroit is about the worst place in the country to be because it is under assault by privatizers.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:58 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,244 times
OK, so you're staying where you are? We will await the next chapter in the saga. I'm not being sarcastic when I say that reading your posts over the years has become a little like watching a favorite soap opera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching