Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:51 PM

8,821 posts, read 15,276,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Approx. 2,000 students k-12/
Ok. That makes sense then. In a tiny district like that I can see how the school board and superintendent would do hiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 07:13 AM

20,112 posts, read 16,089,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Approx. 2,000 students k-12/
The high school my kids went to one place had more students than that - and there were 6 high schools in that district.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:32 AM

428 posts, read 485,842 times
It varies per district. I had an interview that included the superintendent, the principal, a few teachers, and a couple of others (of whom I don't remember their titles). I thought it was overkill for an aide job. Another interview included two principals (one at the school I'd be working at and the other at a different school I wouldn't be working at) and a teacher's coach for the school district. Another interview was with only the principal. School interviews are a mixed bunch.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:05 AM

973 posts, read 1,450,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyouraveragebear View Post
It varies per district. I had an interview that included the superintendent, the principal, a few teachers, and a couple of others (of whom I don't remember their titles). I thought it was overkill for an aide job. Another interview included two principals (one at the school I'd be working at and the other at a different school I wouldn't be working at) and a teacher's coach for the school district. Another interview was with only the principal. School interviews are a mixed bunch.
When I was subbing, I started in one district. You just got a tb shot and a background check and were good to go. I already had my teaching cert, I just couldn't find a teaching job. Another district I wanted to sub in they wanted the board to interview me and they wanted me to attend some type of sub workshop. I was like "I already have my cert. I've taken college classes on elementary education." They were like "It's a requirement or you can't sub here". WTF?

Old 02-26-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
When I was subbing, I started in one district. You just got a tb shot and a background check and were good to go. I already had my teaching cert, I just couldn't find a teaching job. Another district I wanted to sub in they wanted the board to interview me and they wanted me to attend some type of sub workshop. I was like "I already have my cert. I've taken college classes on elementary education." They were like "It's a requirement or you can't sub here". WTF?
A lot of districts do require subs to do some sort of training, whether they are certified or not. The district I now sub in required an on-line training complete with quizzes. I have 27 years of teaching experience but I was still required to do it. Yes, other than some of the district specific information, it was a waste of time for me. However, if I was inexperienced, certified or not, much of what they covered would have been helpful. They also offer an optional one day classroom training that included packets of resources. The couple of subs I talked to who took the class felt it made them a lot more comfortable when they first started. Being certified does not make you an expert. Additionally, it covers the district butt if you do something ridiculous, such as tape some kid's mouth. This way they can show they tried to train you not to do that. I wasn't offended, you shouldn't be either.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 PM

809 posts, read 1,327,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
A lot of districts do require subs to do some sort of training, whether they are certified or not. The district I now sub in required an on-line training complete with quizzes. I have 27 years of teaching experience but I was still required to do it. Yes, other than some of the district specific information, it was a waste of time for me. However, if I was inexperienced, certified or not, much of what they covered would have been helpful. They also offer an optional one day classroom training that included packets of resources. The couple of subs I talked to who took the class felt it made them a lot more comfortable when they first started. Being certified does not make you an expert. Additionally, it covers the district butt if you do something ridiculous, such as tape some kid's mouth. This way they can show they tried to train you not to do that. I wasn't offended, you shouldn't be either.
Same with me. Whatever district I subbed in made all subs attend a sub workshop. We were all certified and most of had had experience.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:34 PM

973 posts, read 1,450,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I guessing these courses will also include not to masturbate on the job. Some kook just did that yesterday.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I guessing these courses will also include not to masturbate on the job. Some kook just did that yesterday.
Egads!!!!

What age level was he subbing for? Did he also get arrested? (I suppose it is very wrong of me to assume it is a male, but I am going with it.)

Old 03-01-2014, 02:46 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,929,001 times
1st teaching job; New Jersey. First interview was with department head and Principal. Second interview was with Asst. Supt and the teacher that was leaving (the one I would be replacing).

2nd job; PA. Screening interview was done by Superintendent, second interview was done by building Principal.

As dept. chair I interviewed with a committee of 2 Principals, 2 Administrators and an Asst. Principal for a part time classroom position (in my subject area). This was after they had been interviewed/screened by an Assistant Superintendent. IMO it was overkill. They did have to present a lesson to a classroom of students while at least 3 or 4 of us observed. I was furious that it was so contrived, that a co-worker and I had to give up our classroom for show and tell, and that the administrators were only partially engaged as they had something important on their crackberry phones that prevented them from observing the entire lesson.

A former colleague (department chair with less than 3 years of experience) was given a stack of applications (in excess of 100) for a music position opening. She had to purge through them and select the top 7 candidates for interviews. Sat on the committees and observed the contrived lesson presentation (they actually had to recruit some students who were working on a summer student council project to come into the classroom setting for the song and dance lesson) and in the end the administrators picked who they wanted. She felt as though her professional time and input were completely negated. The second, third and fourth time they interviewed for the same department, she wasn't even included in the interviews until they had already made their two final choices and then she was included.

Not sure there is a real procedure or protocol in the last district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching