Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:15 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times

Advertisements

We all know that there are "emergency" areas where it's relatively easy to get a job. I hear special education, the STEM fields, etc. are good for job seekers.

But are there areas that aren't "especially hard hit" when discussing job potential? Even if it's not super-easy to get a job, are there fields where you have a decent shot at getting a job if you seek one out? I hear English is pretty competitive, but what about history, geography, government, etc?

I'm speaking of secondary level education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
The soft sciences are much harder to get a job in than the hard sciences. Just be glad you aren't looking at elementary, those are the hardest jobs to get.

The orphan positions, where there is usually one or maybe two teachers per school who teach the subject, such as family consumer science, vocational ed, business ed, and foreign languages, are feast or famine. When one of those positions empty they often really struggle to fill them but finding an opening, if you aren't willing to relocate, is a crap shoot. The problem is that finding a vacancy is dependent on one specific person deciding to no longer hold that one job. Usually when those jobs are filled they are done looking for someone with that certification for over 20 years.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:04 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
We all know that there are "emergency" areas where it's relatively easy to get a job. I hear special education, the STEM fields, etc. are good for job seekers.

But are there areas that aren't "especially hard hit" when discussing job potential? Even if it's not super-easy to get a job, are there fields where you have a decent shot at getting a job if you seek one out? I hear English is pretty competitive, but what about history, geography, government, etc?

Just a warning. For STEM it's location, location, location. Here in Michigan, there are 12 applicants for every chemistry opening and it is not unusual to have 150+ applicants for a math opening in a good district. There is a shortage of STEM in the inner city but that's because no one wants to work in the inner city not because of a shortage of STEM teachers. The shortage of STEM is on paper only not real. There is a shortage of people who hold single subject certs in STEM but I find that schools don't want to hire us because our certs are not flexible. They'd rather hire people with the lesser general science cert, which is legal in Michigan to teach all STEM, because they can teach anything whereas someone like me can teach chemistry with my chemistry degree. I only fit in one place. They fit anywhere. If you want to go STEM don't major in one subject. Get a general science cert so you can teach any science. That's more valuable to schools than subject mastery.

Here the only real shortage is languages like German. I have a friend who was pulled out of retirement to teach German because of this shortage. She could have fought it but she liked the idea of collecting her retirement while working part time so she didn't.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:33 AM

189 posts, read 326,907 times
Nowadays, secondary schools are trying to get the most bang for their buck. I am dually certified and teach two different subjects. They are basically getting a two for one deal with me, but as Oldhag said, they'd have a heck of a time replacing me because of my subject areas.

Math/Science or Language Arts/Social Studies are good combos.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:23 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
I agree, the more you can add to your licence the more marketable you will be to a district. Even if it's not a second subject area, the ability to coach a sport, supervise a group, etc. will help.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:22 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Gives me some food for thought. I could get certified to teach social studies and government, I'm just not sure if I should send more time and money to get another subject area, and which one to pursue.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:42 PM

298 posts, read 565,432 times
Spot on. Schools want to hire someone with composite science, that can teach in all areas. Unfortunate. I think there is a huge difference between chemistry, bio and physics, and would prefer my kid's chem teacher to have a chem degree. Charter schools are usually able to offer this. They want teachers with a masters in their subject, not a masters of teaching. Education has become a nightmare. Don't do it...
I'm special ed, and NCLB, requires a secondary sped teacher in a resource roomto be Highly Qualified in AAAALLLL the subjects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Just a warning. For STEM it's location, location, location. Here in Michigan, there are 12 applicants for every chemistry opening and it is not unusual to have 150+ applicants for a math opening in a good district. There is a shortage of STEM in the inner city but that's because no one wants to work in the inner city not because of a shortage of STEM teachers. The shortage of STEM is on paper only not real. There is a shortage of people who hold single subject certs in STEM but I find that schools don't want to hire us because our certs are not flexible. They'd rather hire people with the lesser general science cert, which is legal in Michigan to teach all STEM, because they can teach anything whereas someone like me can teach chemistry with my chemistry degree. I only fit in one place. They fit anywhere. If you want to go STEM don't major in one subject. Get a general science cert so you can teach any science. That's more valuable to schools than subject mastery.

Here the only real shortage is languages like German. I have a friend who was pulled out of retirement to teach German because of this shortage. She could have fought it but she liked the idea of collecting her retirement while working part time so she didn't.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:47 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
My district actually has an official list of "critical needs" teachers. Maybe you could check and see if the area you want to work in has something similar.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:24 PM

442 posts, read 1,077,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post

There are none. The market is still glutted.

Any district that has any job openings is not a good one to work for.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:58 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
There are none. The market is still glutted.

Any district that has any job openings is not a good one to work for.
There are lots of openings in Fairfax County and Prince William County in Virginia every year, both of which are considered by most employees to be good districts to work for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching