Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A Great teacher can successfully educate any student regardless of their background and parents inco
Yes, if you are really good 9 20.00%
No, because the student his too far gone by that time 33 73.33%
I just don't know 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 11:36 AM

40,925 posts, read 48,890,118 times

Advertisements

Isn't there always going to be a certain % of people or kids in this world who are left behind ?
Life is cruel and we are not all born with the same mental abilities or home situation.

How do you blame a teacher for low IQ and parents who can barely function ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 11:42 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,387,129 times
I took the time in college to qualify as a teacher, but after discovering how the world of education operates, I chose to not be included.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:15 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,786,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Isn't there always going to be a certain % of people or kids in this world who are left behind ?
Life is cruel and we are not all born with the same mental abilities or home situation.

As an instructor I will move heaven and earth to help those students if they put a good effort into their studies. But in my experience most students who have a low IQ don't try that hard because they were socialized to not try.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:42 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,413,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
I agree with you but the current leaders in education policy and administration don't believe only 1 in a million teachers can do it. They believe that if a teacher can't get excellence from each and every student, they should be fired and replaced by someone else.
The reality is that in most fields (not just education) there is a labor glut. Administrators are now free to impose all kinds of stupid unrealistic standards on the worker bees, as you've seen directly in your situation. Keeping turnover high means fewer experienced individuals higher on the pay scale. Out with the old, in with the new, Lather, rinse, repeat. And that's the real motivation.

The admins no more believe the crap they're spouting than any one of us do. They're not total retards. In most cases, anyway. But it's the justification they'll use to not renew your contract once you've reached a certain point on the pay scale.

Quote:
Similar to my last employer who kept hiring sales people, gave them impossible standards and when they were not able to turn water into wine they fired them and tried someone new, over and over again. (Instead of looking into why so many of them failed.)
My comments above apply here, too.

Labor glut. It's an ugly reality.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:57 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,416,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
The reality is that in most fields (not just education) there is a labor glut. Administrators are now free to impose all kinds of stupid unrealistic standards on the worker bees, as you've seen directly in your situation. Keeping turnover high means fewer experienced individuals higher on the pay scale. Out with the old, in with the new, Lather, rinse, repeat. And that's the real motivation.

The admins no more believe the crap they're spouting than any one of us do. They're not total retards. In most cases, anyway. But it's the justification they'll use to not renew your contract once you've reached a certain point on the pay scale.

My comments above apply here, too.

Labor glut. It's an ugly reality.
As long as there is someone willing to do the job cheaper, work harder, whatever, you do what your employer wants or you join the unemployed. That is a sad reality today.

I agree on keeping pay low. As long as teachers are in high supply, they'll just keep replacing teachers with cheaper teachers.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,781,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

I wish people would read the research on IQ. IQ tests are very misleading as a measure.

Scientists debunk the IQ myth: Notion of measuring one's intelligence quotient by singular, standardized test is highly misleading -- ScienceDaily

Quote:
After conducting the largest online intelligence study on record, scientists concluded that the notion of measuring one's intelligence quotient or IQ by a singular, standardized test is highly misleading.
For a long explanation of why this is so and the politics involved in the testing industry, you can read The Mismeasure of Man by Stephen Jay Gould.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching