Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
In NC they just stopped paying extra for Masters Degree. Get out of teaching. Public Education now equals public housing!
I would not teach in NC, they have zero respect for their teachers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Don't assume a masters would make you more employable. In some places it would actually make you less employable because you cost more.

As to the masters making you able to teach at a junior or community college, there are enough folks running around with doctorates in those areas looking for jobs that I would be surprised if a masters was enough unless you had an inside connection.

If you aren't subbing you might want to start.

1.A masters always makes you more employable. Don't assume that you will be recompensed properly. All things being somewhat equal, the individual with the higher degree will get the job.

2.In many states teachers need masters degrees.

3. Not many PhDs teach at community colleges.

Your post makes no sense. Getting an masters is useless and it won't get you a job!

BUT -

Don't try to teach at a community college - they'll want a PhD!

Education is useless! Get as little a possible! Damned if you do! Damned if you don't!

Tired of these "anti-ed" posts.

You certainly do not need a PhD to teach at a community college. I know and I'm related to, plenty of adjuncts. Some also teach at public or private schools for the benefits.

In New York State, I believe that they give new grads five years after they begin teaching K-12 in which to obtain a master's degree. Many do it online. As long as it's regionally accredited, they don't much care where the teacher gets his degree.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
1.A masters always makes you more employable. Don't assume that you will be recompensed properly. All things being somewhat equal, the individual with the higher degree will get the job.

2.In many states teachers need masters degrees.

3. Not many PhDs teach at community colleges.

Your post makes no sense. Getting an masters is useless and it won't get you a job!

BUT -

Don't try to teach at a community college - they'll want a PhD!

Education is useless! Get as little a possible! Damned if you do! Damned if you don't!

Tired of these "anti-ed" posts.

You certainly do not need a PhD to teach at a community college. I know and I'm related to, plenty of adjuncts. Some also teach at public or private schools for the benefits.

In New York State, I believe that they give new grads five years after they begin teaching K-12 in which to obtain a master's degree. Many do it online. As long as it's regionally accredited, they don't much care where the teacher gets his degree.
Oh, for Heaven's sake. I did not say to not get a masters, and I certainly never said it was useless, I said don't assume it makes you more employable. It depends on where you are. Why do some people have such trouble understanding the word "some" on these forums? I am not against higher ed, where do you get that?

The OP asked an opinion about a masters and community colleges, and I gave mine. Apparently, you have a different opinion. At the community college I taught certain departments only had people with doctorates while others had a mixture. Every department had more with doctorates than those without except the vocational type departments, like CAD or real estate. Both the history and political science departments where I was had all doctorates except two ABDers. Like I said... my opinion.... those areas have a lot of people with doctorates trying to get those jobs. And to use your own logic, which is correct at this educational level, all things being equal the person with the doctorate will be the one to get the job.

Sheesh. I am not anti-education - far from it.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:13 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I would not teach in NC, they have zero respect for their teachers
Well there is hope for you yet. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:14 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Community College normally required either 15 or 18 hours of graduate education in subject field. Some get there with a masters, some get there by PhD. It is normally an hours deal, not a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching