Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 09:55 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,559,267 times

Advertisements

WBT: Powered by Funtricity!

Teachers,

Has anyone tried this method of teaching? It sounded really interesting to me and might be a great way to get the kids engaged and doing something productive. I actually tried a little of this as a sub and, surprisingly, had a bit of success at the middle school level. I often find it difficult to keep my energy up with the younger students, and any kind of model that would help me generate more ideas would be very helpful. If you have used this, please share your experiences. If you have not used this, please share with me what you do to promote student engagement. I've heard from other posters that it helps a lot to keep the energy high and to keep students' attention at all times. Turning the class into a game and making the students responsible for their learning is one way to do this.

Keeping a student's attention at all times, though, is much more difficult than one might expect, and I often still find myself losing control of the class. It may be one reason I haven't progressed from substitute teaching status. I'm not really complaining, though, because at least I have a job and I get plenty of work; however, I don't feel like a real teacher, even though I'm licensed to teach, know my subject well, and enjoy working with kids, when things go well. I feel like I need to come up with a better approach. I noticed that they do tend to listen more when I actually get up and teach instead of just passing out the worksheets, explaining the assignment, and monitoring the classroom. That makes me wonder if maybe a new teaching method may be what I need.

Last edited by krmb; 04-02-2014 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,230,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
WBT: Powered by Funtricity!

Teachers,

Has anyone tried this method of teaching? It sounded really interesting to me and might be a great way to get the kids engaged and doing something productive. I actually tried a little of this as a sub and, surprisingly, had a bit of success at the middle school level. I often find it difficult to keep my energy up with the younger students, and any kind of model that would help me generate more ideas would be very helpful. If you have used this, please share your experiences. If you have not used this, please share with me what you do to promote student engagement. I've heard from other posters that it helps a lot to keep the energy high and to keep students' attention at all times. Turning the class into a game and making the students responsible for their learning is one way to do this.

Keeping a student's attention at all times, though, is much more difficult than one might expect, and I often still find myself losing control of the class. It may be one reason I haven't progressed from substitute teaching status. I'm not really complaining, though, because at least I have a job and I get plenty of work; however, I don't feel like a real teacher, even though I'm licensed to teach, know my subject well, and enjoy working with kids, when things go well. I feel like I need to come up with a better approach. I noticed that they do tend to listen more when I actually get up and teach instead of just passing out the worksheets, explaining the assignment, and monitoring the classroom. That makes me wonder if maybe a new teaching method may be what I need.
I don't think there's any teacher that can keep all students' attention at all times.
You have 150 students (middle/high) cycling through your class all day long.
No one can achieve perfection.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't think there's any teacher that can keep all students' attention at all times.
You have 150 students (middle/high) cycling through your class all day long.
No one can achieve perfection.
That's probably true, but I was wondering if this would at least help. There's a big difference, after all, between having one or two off-task students and a whole class that is off-task.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:48 PM

Hey! I don't want this thread to die! Come on, I want suggestions! I was eaten alive by a kindergarten class today. I need ideas.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:01 PM

307 posts, read 558,611 times
Quote:
Hey! I don't want this thread to die! Come on, I want suggestions! I was eaten alive by a kindergarten class today. I need ideas.

When I was a student at the Defense Language Institute (DLI) studying Chinese-Mandarin we did a lot of "acting out". Almost like a drama class. A situation/scenario was set up. First hour of the class was devoted to verbal dialogues between two students...usually question and answer kind of thing...and on a particular topic. Later, the dialogues became longer...and more complex. We all took turns standing in front of the class doing dialogues. As we gained confidence and mastered more vocabulary...we were tasked to "ACT OUT" routine errands as you would in real-life. In small teams or pair groups, each team (everyone taking turns doing all the tasks) would set out to, count money, figure out change, deposit money in the bank and perform other "banking/money" related tasks. Then each team would proceed to fill out a customs card needed to mail a package abroad or other related activity. There were lots of other "real-world" based activities that we were required to perform. ALL CONDUCTED IN CHINESE-MANDARIN language. Lecture style was kept at minimum. Almost as if, we, the students alone were fully responsible to learn. Teachers only seemed to provided guidance and coordination...and of course, proper pronunciation.

In learning to write & read the characters, we were tasked to read/write short memos to one another...using what we have learned the previous week, ...and it keeps building up as we progressed throughout the 52-week, 8-hour a day course. We had to memorize 10 characters a week; then another 10 the following week...then tested on the 20 previous characters learned. By the end of the 4th week...the test was on all 40 characters previously learned...and so on. By the 40th week...we were reading and translating newspaper articles...and discussing/debating the articles we read.

There were lots of props and "realia" items used...like in a movie set, to make it more realistic. There was even an "international" kitchen...where we spent a full day...learning kitchen equipment and utensils and cooking terms in Chinese as we buzzed about (shouting instructions in Chinese), stir frying, baking, boiling and roasting all sorts of Chinese delicacies...all in Chinese! We got to eat what we prepared also...but we had to eat a la Chinese style and learn to critique or phrase the food we prepared...in Chinese, of course.

Although it was probably one of the toughest courses I've ever taken...it was a lot of fun!

If the course had been taught in the traditional "lecture" style method...I probably would have been totally bored and likely flunked the course by the second week. Almost forgot, we had to watch a Chinese movie about every other week shown at a theater in town just outside the DLI campus. We were tested on the movie when we got back to class. Best not to sleep during the movie.

We went through the same approach when I was at DLI several years earlier to learn French.

Your class doesn't have to be elaborate as I depicted above...there are a lot of things you can do to keep your young students interested. Make it fun! Games, games, play, lots of realia, lots of drama, lots of commotion, color, sounds, challenging the students to "act out" as they learn & get involved. Along with occasional outing to spice it up even more. Specially the little ones in kindergarten! But even teenagers and adults can use some spicing up.

When I was teaching ESL in Korea..I encouraged my students to bring to class a favorite item...from a hobby or favorite activity. I brought a few "realia" items in class that we used as topics for discussion. We also went out on outings...to town, to parks, movies (English), restaurants. The more you can make students apply what they're learning to real-world situations, and acting out what they're learning to meaningful/relevant situations..the more you'll get them interested. It is a lot easier to learn if you're interested. Even a boring grammar class can be made interesting...and fun! I'd occasionally remind my students the raison d'etre for learning a particular subject. It's good to remind them from time to time...why they're in your class. Good luck.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:38 PM

That's an excellent idea! I thought WBT might help my cause, as it is a plan to encourage student engagement. I have a lot of management problems, though, and, well, maybe the kids don't even get a chance to figure out what I want them to do; they're used to being able to not take a guest teacher seriously. I want to have a good time with the kids, but I have trouble figuring out what motivates them. I'm also not sure I'm 100 percent clear when I give directions. I've had to explain the same concept to a student about three or four times before she picked up a pencil and started writing. Usually, since I get so little participation, I concentrate on the behaviors I don't want to see. I hate doing things like this, but it really aggravates me when students don't listen.

Here's what I may try next time:

1. An activity that encourages student engagement and allows the kids to have fun
2. A score card that keeps track of student progress
3. A set of alternative activities for noncompliant students (class tasks, redirect assignments, rest time, etc.)
4. An alternative plan for students who are continuously disruptive (time outs, move seating, cool downs, etc.)

Also, I'm a language person, too. Does DLI offer classes to civilians? If so, where can I find more information? If not, are there techniques that I could glean for my personal use? I've always wanted to speak and understand a second or even third language.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:46 PM

307 posts, read 558,611 times
Quote:
That's an excellent idea! I thought WBT might help my cause, as it is a plan to encourage student engagement. I have a lot of management problems, though, and, well, maybe the kids don't even get a chance to figure out what I want them to do; they're used to being able to not take a guest teacher seriously. I want to have a good time with the kids, but I have trouble figuring out what motivates them. I'm also not sure I'm 100 percent clear when I give directions. I've had to explain the same concept to a student about three or four times before she picked up a pencil and started writing. Usually, since I get so little participation, I concentrate on the behaviors I don't want to see. I hate doing things like this, but it really aggravates me when students don't listen.

Here's what I may try next time:

1. An activity that encourages student engagement and allows the kids to have fun
2. A score card that keeps track of student progress
3. A set of alternative activities for noncompliant students (class tasks, redirect assignments, rest time, etc.)
4. An alternative plan for students who are continuously disruptive (time outs, move seating, cool downs, etc.)

Also, I'm a language person, too. Does DLI offer classes to civilians? If so, where can I find more information? If not, are there techniques that I could glean for my personal use? I've always wanted to speak and understand a second or even third language.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get the kids involved in their learning and participate in the decision-making process. You can't please everyone...but you can make sure everyone gets involved. Not sure what they want to do? ASK THEM. If what they want is reasonably DO-ABLE...do it. They expect as much from you as you should expect of them. Sure, follow the prescribed curriculum...but allow some flexibility for some deviation to make it more interesting (and fun). Many times, when I am conducting training or teaching ESL, I have no idea how things will turn out at the end of the day. But I think, for me anyway, if they learn something in the process (even if it's not in the lesson plan), makes it worth sneaking out of the box every now and then.

This is not the only way, of course. But try different approaches. What's important is getting the kids involved. If there are problems...work out a compromise. It's a challenging act trying to stay balanced...and focused. It's not a competition among themselves...a few getting better grades than the others struggling behind just to make it. This is what we've been taught in our time. (At least, in my time). The result has been disastrous.

Don't forget to foster acts of sharing, helping, caring..among themselves. Keep an eye on bullying behavior. Kids learn that...at first from their parents and siblings...then from their classmates. If it's not nipped at the bud...it will go on to adult life. Don't forget the shy, quiet ones. They need your attention as much as the bold and audacious ones. Avoid showing favoritism.
Teach them to respect their elders, adults. Too many kids nowadays treat their elders like one of them. No respect at all. It goes both ways.

How they are taught and treated today may very well determine how they will turn out to be...tomorrow. Its a huge responsibility trying to get these kids off to a good start.

You asked about DLI. It's for military active and certain Federal civilian employees. I was on active duty then. Must meet these criteria: On a need basis (one's occupational specialty must require foreign language proficiency); Passing score on the DLAT (Defense Language Aptitude Test); Be recommended by a superior or commander.

There is one other language training I attended which I thought was in par with DLI: Brigham Young University. The Army sent me there (Provo, UT) for Advanced Spanish. My professor was an American who has lived and worked in Spain and South America, and has a PhD from both Spanish and U.S. universities. It was a grueling 5-week course...but superb! After all, they're the ones who prepare missionaries to become fluent in whatever language of the country they're sent to. Anyone (who meets the university's requirement & fees) I suppose can take a foreign language courses there.
What language are you interested in?

I found excellent training aids materials, lesson plans and teaching techniques on the ESL websites. Dave's ESL Cafe, The ESL Forum, etc. I have downloaded some free materials from one of those websites that I found to be effective and fun to use in the last class I had in Washington state. The materials can be modified to suit your requirements for your class. Launching Success is a "learning" store in Bellingham, WA that I have visited and ordered some "learning" materials (toys) for grade school and kindergarten kids. Try just typing "learning success" on your pc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching