Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:02 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,661 times

Advertisements

I was searching for something for my home and found this. I thought of you and this thread. It's probably nothing new that you haven't seen. Just wanted to share.

Classroom Management

All the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 07:58 AM

46 posts, read 49,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I describe my problems to them, but it doesn't help much, as no one is observing me when I substitute teach. I have been told, however, that I choose pretty rough schools, and classroom management is different for a sub than for a regular teacher. I have been told that I may need special substitute teacher training, but the county does not provide that. I'm on my own.

I've asked other subs to observe me, but they got respect simply by walking into the room. There were also times where the students just ignored the other sub and attacked me, though. I think the students may sense less of an age difference between them and me versus most of their other subs. That may be one reason I have so much trouble. The kids routinely guess that I'm in my early twenties or even fresh out of high school. I also can't command respect by appearing competent and knowledgeable in the subject area, because, even if it's something I know, I have trouble presenting it to the kids. More often than not, though, it is something I'm not extremely familiar with, like math, and, if the kids don't know how to do it, I don't really know what to tell them. I kind of wish the math teachers would leave a guide to working the problems for me. I do feel a lot better when I can competently explain a subject to the students, and I think it helps them respect me more.
My first teaching job was age 23, my students were between ages 15-18. Like you I had no classroom management training in my education program nor in student teaching, since the main teacher had established that already and was always present when I taught. I am small, gentle, not authoritarian, all things I've seen described in your posts. I have taught subjects I have no education or credential in. I don't think you can attribute these things to your problems. Of course classroom management was hard at first. I had a few days where I cried on my lunch break, but I got support from school staff and also developed my own methods that worked for me over time. After the first few months things went well for me and i developed classroom management methods that worked for me and suited my personality. For some reason it seems you haven't been able to find this. Maybe it is too hard to figure out while subbing at different places all the time. Have you ever tried to get a long term teaching position in the grades you feel most comfortable with? I saw in another post you thought you may have Asperger's. Maybe this has something to do with it too. I don't know. But if you have been subbing for a few years, I think I saw that somewhere in your post history, and still really struggling, it may be a sign that you need to drastically change something in your approach, or consider a different position or field. Maybe you need a specific school environment or grade to teach that works well with your style. It may be better to try for that than to continue to bounce around subbing without improvement in your technique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching