Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 06:29 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I almost have a master's degree in TESOL and have a bachelor's in Secondary Education. I've been substitute teaching for a few years, though, and I never seem to have success with the students. Apparently, I'm quite unfamiliar with the ways children actually behave, and it's hurting my ability to connect with them and teach them. I've heard that it won't get much better even if I get hired as a full teacher, either, so, since I have bills to pay and don't want to be run over for the rest of my life, what should I try to transition into? What careers are in-demand that will accept an Education degree? I had all of these dreams of being a great teacher, but I'm starting to realize I have no idea what I'm doing. The kids routinely eat me alive, no matter how well-meaning I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 07:01 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
How about adult ESL students? Adults who want to learn are less likely to try to run the teacher over. Consider volunteering for a non-profit that does a mild version of it to see if you would like it.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:15 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Hi,

I almost have a master's degree in TESOL and have a bachelor's in Secondary Education. I've been substitute teaching for a few years, though, and I never seem to have success with the students. Apparently, I'm quite unfamiliar with the ways children actually behave, and it's hurting my ability to connect with them and teach them. I've heard that it won't get much better even if I get hired as a full teacher, either, so, since I have bills to pay and don't want to be run over for the rest of my life, what should I try to transition into? What careers are in-demand that will accept an Education degree? I had all of these dreams of being a great teacher, but I'm starting to realize I have no idea what I'm doing. The kids routinely eat me alive, no matter how well-meaning I am.
If you have an MA in TESOL then you can teach in a college (ESL, not TESOL) or adult education program. No behavior issues there.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:26 AM

That's a good idea and probably something I should definitely look into.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:19 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
The ESL teachers in most of the schools I've worked in have almost always had the benefit of working with students one-on-one, so behavior management is essentially a non-issue. I'm sure full class ESL situations exist somewhere, I just haven't seen much of it around here.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:51 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
The ESL teachers in most of the schools I've worked in have almost always had the benefit of working with students one-on-one, so behavior management is essentially a non-issue. I'm sure full class ESL situations exist somewhere, I just haven't seen much of it around here.
We have them here. While they are smaller in size than a regular class, they are not a cakewalk in classroom management. If you have problematic students, and you don't speak their language, not only do they develop selective English comprehension but they start chattering and plotting in theirs. When you have one of those classes get out of control, it is virtually impossible to get it back to where it needs to be without someone who speaks the native tongue of the ringleaders.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Around here, most ESL teachers have very small classes, sometimes only 5-10 students, unless it's an adult class.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:06 AM

973 posts, read 1,452,940 times
In NJ, they have full ESL classes. It's usually for things like Spanish. A language that is very common. I've subbed ESL and during my student teaching worked with the ESL class. ESL students are usually well behaved.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:15 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times
Hi KMB,

I'm sorry you are so frustrated with the rambunctious kids that you are considering a career change. I think I mentioned on your other thread that I knew someone that completely changed her major because of incidents during student teaching.

Have you ever taken a personality test? That might help you get an idea what types of positions would be suitable. It's not 100% accurate but might show some fields that you may not have considered.

ESL teacher might be good relative to working with older students, but keep in mind that they will also be from a different culture. That may or may not be an issue since you mentioned that you have trouble "reading" people. I don't want to discourage you from trying. I just wanted to point out that being able to understand body language, voice inflections and other unspoken clues in communication will probably be just as, if not more, important with people from different cultures.

Have you considered working with a company that provides tutoring? The classes are usually smaller and oftentimes one-on-one with students. You are usually assigned a supervisor who is a manager of the facility so it's easier to get feedback on your style and approach. It will also help you gain confidence because it's easier to quantify which students are improving.

I hope you find something you feel comfortable doing and don't take the current situation too much to heart. Some days my own children are "too much." I can't imagine being in a classroom and having 20-25 energizer bunnies running around creating chaos. Hang in there. You'll find your niche.

Kind regards,
MJ

Old 04-12-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
Hi KMB,

I'm sorry you are so frustrated with the rambunctious kids that you are considering a career change. I think I mentioned on your other thread that I knew someone that completely changed her major because of incidents during student teaching.

Have you ever taken a personality test? That might help you get an idea what types of positions would be suitable. It's not 100% accurate but might show some fields that you may not have considered.

ESL teacher might be good relative to working with older students, but keep in mind that they will also be from a different culture. That may or may not be an issue since you mentioned that you have trouble "reading" people. I don't want to discourage you from trying. I just wanted to point out that being able to understand body language, voice inflections and other unspoken clues in communication will probably be just as, if not more, important with people from different cultures.

Have you considered working with a company that provides tutoring? The classes are usually smaller and oftentimes one-on-one with students. You are usually assigned a supervisor who is a manager of the facility so it's easier to get feedback on your style and approach. It will also help you gain confidence because it's easier to quantify which students are improving.

I hope you find something you feel comfortable doing and don't take the current situation too much to heart. Some days my own children are "too much." I can't imagine being in a classroom and having 20-25 energizer bunnies running around creating chaos. Hang in there. You'll find your niche.

Kind regards,
MJ
If I work with kids, it might be a little more challenging, but I've volunteered with the English Language Center, and I actually think I sort of get along better with the adult international students than I do other people. I'm shy when it comes to anyone, though, and being reserved is just part of my personality until I warm up to people. I've forced myself to be different when I deal with kids, but they may know I'm faking. That might be part of my problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching