Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 09:48 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,277,711 times

Advertisements

So I interviewed a few weeks ago for a job in District A. I didn't think the interview went all that well. The questions were very objective and didn't give much opportunity to elaborate and articulate my philosophy on teaching which is where I'm strongest. They said they would make a list of quality candidates to bring back for a second interview and I would be hearing back if I were one of them. In the meantime I interviewed with District B. District B interview went very well I thought. I interviewed with them last Thursday and they said they would be conducting interviews the rest of the week and wanted to make a decision by early next week (which is now this week). They said there would not be a second round of interviews. The day after that interview District A called me back to come in for a second interview with the superintendent and assistant superintendent. That was yesterday. That interview went very well I thought. I asked them about their time frame and they said they would be doing the second round of interviews this week and should have a decision by Friday.

So my situation is that both districts have their positives and negatives, but I think when balancing it all out I would rather work for District A. It pays about $2000 more, I've subbed in the district so I have some familiarity with it, and my wife went to that school and knows some of the teachers. It's also about 10 miles closer to my house (although both are pretty far 32 versus 44 miles). The big feather in the cap of District B, and it's a really big feather for me, is that they are a 1-to-1 environment where every kids has a laptop.

If both districts adhere to their time frame then I will hear back from District B first. Assuming I hear back from them and they offer me the job I was wondering about the ethical issue with accepting the job, then rescinding my acceptance after getting offered the job by District A. I thought of just telling them when they offer it to me that I needed a day to talk to my wife about it and could I give them an answer tomorrow. Then calling the principal in District A and saying that I got offered this job but would prefer to work for them and see if they had reached any decision. That way I could let District B know right away. But I'm uneasy being less than enthusiastic about getting offered the job by District B. It just seems like telling them I needed time is getting off on the wrong foot.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 10:08 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
So I interviewed a few weeks ago for a job in District A. I didn't think the interview went all that well. The questions were very objective and didn't give much opportunity to elaborate and articulate my philosophy on teaching which is where I'm strongest. They said they would make a list of quality candidates to bring back for a second interview and I would be hearing back if I were one of them. In the meantime I interviewed with District B. District B interview went very well I thought. I interviewed with them last Thursday and they said they would be conducting interviews the rest of the week and wanted to make a decision by early next week (which is now this week). They said there would not be a second round of interviews. The day after that interview District A called me back to come in for a second interview with the superintendent and assistant superintendent. That was yesterday. That interview went very well I thought. I asked them about their time frame and they said they would be doing the second round of interviews this week and should have a decision by Friday.

So my situation is that both districts have their positives and negatives, but I think when balancing it all out I would rather work for District A. It pays about $2000 more, I've subbed in the district so I have some familiarity with it, and my wife went to that school and knows some of the teachers. It's also about 10 miles closer to my house (although both are pretty far 32 versus 44 miles). The big feather in the cap of District B, and it's a really big feather for me, is that they are a 1-to-1 environment where every kids has a laptop.

If both districts adhere to their time frame then I will hear back from District B first. Assuming I hear back from them and they offer me the job I was wondering about the ethical issue with accepting the job, then rescinding my acceptance after getting offered the job by District A. I thought of just telling them when they offer it to me that I needed a day to talk to my wife about it and could I give them an answer tomorrow. Then calling the principal in District A and saying that I got offered this job but would prefer to work for them and see if they had reached any decision. That way I could let District B know right away. But I'm uneasy being less than enthusiastic about getting offered the job by District B. It just seems like telling them I needed time is getting off on the wrong foot.

Thoughts?
Provided you don't sign any paperwork, legally you are certainly allowed to say yes to a district and then tell them you changed your mind.

Just be sure you don't ever want to work for that district again.

A word of advice: take whatever job you are offered, we are still in a teacher glut and an interview is not a job guarantee, no matter how well you think it went. Also, keep in mind that job offers can also be rescinded until that paperwork is signed.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:41 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
The highest pay always gets my attention.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:25 AM

978 posts, read 2,052,618 times
I had district A offer me a job on Wednesday, just two days after the interview. I told them that I was excited, but needed to discuss it with the wife and think it over. They told me to get back to them in about a week. I got a call a few days later from district B. Although district Bs pay is less, it was closer to where I live, and the cost of living is cheaper, so I accepted that job and called district A back to thank them, but deny the offer.

I interviewed at several schools. Most, I never heard back from. It would have been nice to get a letter or email saying that the position had been filled.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:53 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I had district A offer me a job on Wednesday, just two days after the interview. I told them that I was excited, but needed to discuss it with the wife and think it over. They told me to get back to them in about a week. I got a call a few days later from district B. Although district Bs pay is less, it was closer to where I live, and the cost of living is cheaper, so I accepted that job and called district A back to thank them, but deny the offer.

I interviewed at several schools. Most, I never heard back from. It would have been nice to get a letter or email saying that the position had been filled.
Congratulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching