Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 05:16 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times

Advertisements

Same, here. The schools I grew up in, which my parents still work in, are not air conditioned. I have actually only worked in one school that was (the year-round school, which was air conditioned mainly because it was in session through the summer in a warm climate).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 07:21 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Not all schools have air conditioning. Many of the schools out here don't have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Where I am, few schools have air conditioning in the classrooms.
Then it is time to get air conditioning. The kids are already sweltering in either June or August/early September as it is, which diminishes the effectiveness of the education they are receiving. I have taught in a lot of schools - including in Southern California - and everyone of them had air conditioning, so it's not like that is an expense that is unheard of in education.

Old 06-25-2014, 02:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Then it is time to get air conditioning. The kids are already sweltering in either June or August/early September as it is, which diminishes the effectiveness of the education they are receiving. I have taught in a lot of schools - including in Southern California - and everyone of them had air conditioning, so it's not like that is an expense that is unheard of in education.
It's expensive, and many districts can't afford it. One district just got it a few years ago, but in order to pay for it a bond measure had to pass a vote by residents.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:23 PM

Small rural districts such as exist in agricultural regions typically can't afford it, either. Particularly if the voting public in the district is of a largely conservative stripe and unlikely to approve bonds for such things.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:46 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,592 times
Where I grew up, schools were built in the 50's and 60's, to retrofit air conditioning would be cost prohibitive. I'm not sure if new schools in New England are being built with AC or not.

The school where I teach in Colorado was built with AC but it was built in the past 15 years.

But, I don't think we'll see year-round schooling in the near future. The amount that districts would need to increase teacher pay for the additional 6-8 weeks of work would stress budgets too much. Plus, I don't believe unions will allow the extended time without pay (for good reason too!).

Old 06-26-2014, 07:35 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post

But, I don't think we'll see year-round schooling in the near future. The amount that districts would need to increase teacher pay for the additional 6-8 weeks of work would stress budgets too much. Plus, I don't believe unions will allow the extended time without pay (for good reason too!).
Year round school, in my limited experience is not a longer year. It is a year broken up into four quarters, with three weeks or so breaks between quarters. The prime advantage is no learning loss over summer. A greater benefit, before budget cuts was a week, during the break for remediation. It was about three hours a day for students at risk.

Some tear round programs keep the room in use all year, but students come and go at the same number of days. To me, that is nightmare scenario.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:14 PM

It wasn't a longer year for us, either. I was at a private school, but it was the same number of days in session as our feeder public school districts. The breaks were just distributed throughout the year, versus clumped up in the summer months.

The weirdest part was that you didn't get a real sense of succession from one school year to another. They'd start August as, say, 9th graders, but then halfway through August, have 10th grader status. It wasn't that odd for us, though, since we were a special education school, and students graduated by meeting IEP goals and objectives, not by completing various grade levels, and typically went until age 21. So there was no real sense of "Oh, Johnny is a 10th grader." Johnny was a 16-year old with blah blah blah goals and objectives on his IEP in a given year. What grade he was in was basically immaterial for everything other than state testing.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:42 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
It's expensive, and many districts can't afford it. One district just got it a few years ago, but in order to pay for it a bond measure had to pass a vote by residents.
Schools in hot climates, including ones in very poor districts, have managed to come up with the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching