Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:23 PM

351 posts, read 1,873,334 times

Advertisements

I've been a sub off and on, and found it to be a horribly lonely and thankless job. The kids can be great (especially since you've got the discipline down), but the full-time teachers aren't welcoming or especially friendly, and you mostly feel invisible. The pay is no good, either.

From what I've heard and experienced, the first year of teaching is the hardest, because you're having to set up all your plans. Once you have them, though, you are pretty much on cruise control. You've come this far: don't give up. It will get easier (because you've put in your time to get your plans in place!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 09:21 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,741,813 times
:/ I subbed for 3 years almost full time. I really enjoyed it but had an opportunity to work for a non-profit I had been volunteering at and opted to go that route.

I had some challenging students, but by and large I had great teacher support and the kids were pretty good. The school I subbed at most often (middle school) had a reputation for rowdy kids, but after 3 years subbing I knew most of the kids and they knew to follow the rules and that I would treat them fairly. I still run into some of the kids I subbed for (nearly graduating HS now) and they not only remember me, but they greet me warmly and often with hugs.

Maybe I got lucky. Maybe I just had a good outlook. Either way, I wouldn't recommend it instead of teaching. A good teacher is worth his/her weight in gold. We NEED those teachers. On top of that, sub pay sucks. I used to joke that it was a paid hobby.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:59 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,940,752 times
I would echo all of the above threads. Don't give up teaching yet, we lose too many good teachers. Would your school allow 4th grade team teaching or co-teaching? If one teachers does all of the science, another the math, etc. it would reduce your load. Even if each of you would take one area to write the plans and then copy and give them to the others, it might relieve the burden of some of the subject matters. Don't let yourself become isolated. Ask for help, share what you are doing.

First year teaching is hard, it does consume you, it is stressful...but it does get better. I've been teaching 30 years, and still find it all consuming at times. I've also been able to go weeks without bringing work home because my time management skills are fine tuned. I'll go back to school in the evening or even on a Saturday morning to finish work or prepare for the next unit. Keeping the job at the job has been very healthy for me and my "other life" from teaching.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:14 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,444,632 times
While I enjoy substitute-teaching quite a bit, there are no benefits associated with it -- no INS, teaching supplements, job stability. Because I am retired, I can afford to go into the schools for a paycheck, only, but it would have been very difficult for me to support myself and contribute to the family income as a sub.

It is nice now because much of the pressure of being in a classroom every day is gone, and I can really enjoy being there with the kids. Because I am certified K-12, I tend to focus on going into the elementary schools -- it is almost like 'playing' for the day, and I actually teach the class as opposed to babysitting them.

Some of the young subs say they can work every day if they choose to, and I suppose for a certified sub, the pay would be better than some other clerical jobs. It would be the lack of benefits that would've been a problem for me, though, at their age(s).

Old 12-29-2007, 12:37 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,602,460 times
Most Subs work everyday and some get into long term Sub spots (teacher is missing for many reason..birth, sickness..etc).

If a school likes you they can put you on their list and make sure you come back daily. Even if they do not have a classroom for that day they can use you as a roaming sub..covering teachers that have IEP's and such.

However, not many (if any) school districts offer Subs any Benefits.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:16 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,125 times
Default Thank You!!!

Thanks for all the words of encouragement right now! I have to say that Christmas break has really allowed me to decompress and destress. My outlook on teaching has improved, as I have taken time for myself (and relaxed on the beaches of sunny St. Thomas)!!

I know that teaching will improve as my time management skills do. I still worry about the amount of time I spend working without pay, but I know that I can improve that. I am fortunate to have a wonderful mentor teacher, who has been offering me the same words of encouragement.

I have been considering changing grade levels, but I really love 4th graders and the curriculum. However, I am planning on moving so I may end up changing grades anyway. I worry that I will have to start over again as a first year teacher, but I would rather do that now than a few years from now.

Now, for another week of rest and relaxation!! Happy New Year everyone.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:17 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,438,858 times
As a fellow teacher, I'd like to encourage you to hang in there. Your first year is the toughest, because all of your routines have to be set up, all of your material is new to you, and grading seems to take forever. With some seasoning, all of this will become second nature to you and it will all smooth out.

But, beware. Changing to a different grade level will only make your next assignment into another "first year" all over again. Teaching is a very busy, high-energy profession. But it does get somewhat easier with more experience. Stick with it for five years before you decide whether or not it's right for you.

Old 01-01-2008, 04:02 PM

5 posts, read 16,528 times
Don't even think about becoming a sub!!! I have been a sub for the past year and I'm getting ready to graduate with a BA in secondary education. Unless you have another source of income, substituting is not very reliable at all! you get no benefits and the kids will try to make your life miserable, trust me, I know from experience! what everybody told you already is right, the first year they say is the hardest, but it will get better. Most teachers I know are able to reuse their lesson plans from previous years, which will in turn make your life much easier!

Good luck!

Old 01-01-2008, 06:26 PM

18 posts, read 68,936 times
Please learn some better time management and remain in the classroom! This is a wonderful occupation that most burn out early due to lack of time and class management skills. I suggest you take a free class on it if possible. These are offered by school districts, your NEA chapter, or your PAGE organization. Lastly, fully utilize your resources and be creative finding ways to become more efficient and effective as an educator not an employee of your school district. You are to only expend great energy and effort on your children. The rest is truly useless. For example, all the paper work that is issued for you to fill out, especially surveys, put them in a folder. If and when someone request it, fill it out and submit it with a smile. By the conclusion of the school year, you will find that administrators and others with nothing better to do have attempted to bury you in needless and endless paper work. Have fun with your kids and teach them as if they were your own. Otherwise, smile and ignore all the extra non-important dribble that does not improve your babies' education.
Have a great year!

Old 12-14-2008, 10:48 PM

4 posts, read 12,370 times
Smile it's the busiest Job"

I have a couple of testimony of teachers that i have knowm. no doubt about it. it is very time consuming.

The news that I hear is that They are not getting much sleep as well as not being able to to do much anything else..

when GOD created us He created us to work in that we would be able to LIve. but not to LIve to work.

I have another suggestion for you outside of of a substitute..

. consider being an at home tutor. . At home schooling is growing today in quite big numbers. . . if parents want their kids to learn at home but dont feel they have the knowledge. they can hire a tutor like yourself to spend a few hours a day working...

or perhaps consider to teach a lower grade level that would not take as long to correct papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching