Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:27 PM

4 posts, read 4,546 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I'm aware that there are many posts about relocating, but I wanted to ask for help here. I'm certified in K-12 English and K-5 Elementary, and I live in northern New Jersey. Ever since I graduated with my MA, I've had a hard time finding a full time position. I'm sure that comes across as a surprise to absolutely no one. NJ is a notoriously hard market. I've filled 4 leave positions in the past 2 years, and I will be filling a 10 month leave position for this upcoming school year. Now I'm not knocking longterm positions. Leave positions are awesome and a great way to earn experience. I finished my provisional year and should receive my standard license soon. But I'm gonna be 28 next year and the idea of doing another longterm job (after this 10 month one) makes me wanna go screaming into the night.

Sooo. I wanna relocate next year! I have a couple of ideas:

-- teach overseas at an international school. Most accredited ISs require an advanced degree (which would be my MA) and 2 years of experience. I want to attend the job fairs hosted by Search and/or ISS. However, I don't know if my leave experience would count? Could anyone shed light onto this?

-- teach at a domestic independent school, preferably an accredited NAIS school. I understand private schools pay less, but I'd rather take a hit in pay and have my own apartment in a city of my choosing instead of slogging through another non-permanent position in a NJ public school. Plus I'd have the benefit of small class sizes and (probably?) fewer discipline problems. Has anyone used Carney Sandoe and/or attended their FORUM job fair in Boston? How about other placement companies (CalWest, STA, etc)? How do schools view teachers who want to relocate?

-- obtain licenses for other states. I'm registered to take Virginia's test, but I honestly cannot think of any state that ISN'T going through NJ's drama (budget cuts, anti-education politicians, high stakes tasting, etc) unless you folks know someplace amazing?

Lastly:

If you're a teacher who has relocated, what has your experience been? Did you find schools took you seriously as a candidate over the phone or on skype? HAVE you applied for a teaching job far away and scored the position? If applying hundreds of miles away, it's simply unrealistic to make every single screening interview. Plus I will be working fulltime and can't drop my students to jet around US.

Advice?

Thanks! You guys are the best!

PS: I know this may sound like I'm bashing NJ public schools. I'm not. But I'm definitely ready to move on to brighter pastures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 05:56 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
I sent you a DM. I just counted 51 openings in our district for grades 1-6 and about 13 English positions.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:28 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,566 times
I believe tgbwc is in my district. No drama here - just jobs.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:48 PM

10 posts, read 18,848 times
Iowa is a good place for education. Budget cuts haven't hit us as much, nor have I noticed a huge emphasis on the testing. That being said, I am looking to move to a big city, like Phoenix or Denver, in a few years as I'm tired of the lack of diversity and the lack of things to do. Good luck!

Old 07-16-2014, 08:16 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
I relocated to NC in 2009. By 2012 I was bailing due to freezes and pay cuts. Came back to Michigan and had to take a position at a nasty charter school because no public school wants to hire a teacher with 20 years experience.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:18 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder99 View Post
Iowa is a good place for education. Budget cuts haven't hit us as much, nor have I noticed a huge emphasis on the testing. That being said, I am looking to move to a big city, like Phoenix or Denver, in a few years as I'm tired of the lack of diversity and the lack of things to do. Good luck!
I'll ditto this post. Pay is decent and the cost of living is much more reasonable than you'd find anywhere in the northeast. The weather isn't all that different than New Jersey temperature wise. You can replace your hurricanes and occasional noreasters with tornado warnings and more frequent blizzards. One big plus is you'll find the students in general being a little more respective.

Iowa isn't a thrill a minute tons of fun state if you require professional sports, theater, or world class entertainment. What it offers is basic good living. Just set your sights a little lower when it comes to being within close proximity to the big time entertainment.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:30 PM

I'm intrigued that two people recommended Iowa to me. Is the area around Des Moines a good place to teach? I don't need world class entertainment, but I'd love to be near a city with lots of young professionals.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:30 PM

978 posts, read 2,053,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
because no public school wants to hire a teacher with 20 years experience.
Is this because they'd rather hire a new teacher who will be paid much less? You'd think school districts would want experienced teachers, but I guess money is the primary factory in today's world.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:34 AM

On a semi-related note, does anyone work/know someone who works at NAIS-accredited schools or international schools? I don't want to only limit myself to public schools. But I'll definitely look into getting my VA and Iowa licenses. It seems like "praxis states" are the easiest to break into. I don't really want to spend more fees on tests when I've already taken the praxis.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:22 PM

5 posts, read 11,316 times
most states accept Praxis test, if you are transferring from another state. I know that is how Arizona is.

Here is the thing, if you think you are going to get some nice, pretty, great salary, job in the suburbs your going to struggle.

Here is what you need to get a full-time job

1. experience in tough places (reservations, rural america)
2. coaching- if your a good coach and they know that, it helps
3. connections- my dad is friends with the principal type of stuff.

Other then that, its hard to break in, because you have to understand that in those good areas 100+ qualified applicants per position in most cases. and of those, probably 10% have at least one of the 3 things that makes them attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching