Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 04:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckinley120 View Post
Could it be that we all live in states where the union is worthless?

I forgot to mention that my only planning period is usually taken by some pointless meeting or coverage for another classroom, therefore there is no real break in the day except for a short 20 min lunch. That's the harshest part of my schedule - no prolonged respite.

Well, I guess I sound pretty whiny with my schedule. The thing is the multiple subjects that's really annoying. Even with 6 periods to teach, the fact that I have to prep for another subject automatically doubles my work and time demands even if it is only one other subject area. This being especially true for a lab science. I'd much rather have 1 subject to teach and that being a re-run throughout the day, be it 6 or 7 times.

Does anybody have an extremely light class load that they could share? Or, has anyone ever pushed back about their teaching duties?
Nope, I live in a very strong teacher union state.

I have very few students. Next year I will have 21. Total, not per class. But I will see each of them for 3 hours a day.

Having taught a typical 2-3 preps (one year four) of lab science, in a traditional schedule, with 25 students in each class. This schedule is still more work. Last year I had 29 students. It was insane. But one of our classes is a research course were students basically do a thesis. They average 200 hours of data collection, averaged hundreds of data points, average paper was 40-60 pages so I basically act as thesis advisor to each student. Fun, but exhausting, and is actually a year round position. This is the first summer I have been compensated for my summer work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 06:08 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sadly it became de facto over time that teachers do all their planning/prep/grading at home or come into school over the weekend.
Unfortunately, that is part of the trade. I'm lucky if I get home by 5:00 PM on week days and I bring work home with me. My biggest problem is motivating myself to work on it after dinner. Once I sit down, I really want to stop but if I do it just piles up and up and up. I don't know whether to clone myself or become a vampire so I don't have to sleep.

My new school year's resolution is to not get behind on my grading.....of course that's my new school year's resolution every year. I have half a shot at it this year though because I only have two preps and 6 classes to teach (3 of each).

I do envy an acquaintance of mine. She teaches in a private school where she make half again what I make and she only teaches 4 out of 6 periods. She has two prep hours. One for each science class type she teaches (she teaches chemistry and physics). Her classes are capped at 18 students so she has a maximum of 72 students. Of course it costs over $20K/year to attend the school where she teaches. You know maybe money does buy happiness.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:28 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,342 times
I'm at elementary but a special's teacher.

Seven 45 minute classes
40 minute lunch- classroom teachers get 45 minutes
40 minute prep- classroom teachers get 45

We do have 5 minutes in between classes and 10 minutes between duty and students coming to us, so that is the difference in lunch and prep.

We have duty every morning and sometimes in the afternoon as well.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I do envy an acquaintance of mine. She teaches in a private school where she make half again what I make and she only teaches 4 out of 6 periods. She has two prep hours. One for each science class type she teaches (she teaches chemistry and physics). Her classes are capped at 18 students so she has a maximum of 72 students. Of course it costs over $20K/year to attend the school where she teaches. You know maybe money does buy happiness.
And doubtless, she couldn't afford to send children to the very school at which she teaches, on the salary she is paid to do provide high-caliber instruction of the sort that justifies $20K tuition.

I always chose to work private v. public. Working with small groups of students is my personal requirement. But there are tradeoffs, indeed.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:33 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Elementary

Through last year I planned for reading, writing, and social studies for each of two classes plus a half hour T-F remediation/enrichment block.

Last year my class sizes were 28 and 29.
45 minute planning (music/p.e.) four days a week, with one of those used for a CLT meeting.
One hour planning on the fifth day (art).
30 minute duty free lunch.
Early release for students on Mondays at 12:30 which left 2 hours and 45 minutes for staff. Once a month that time was used for a two hour staff meeting. Other Mondays were used for other meetings or PD. On average I probably had two Monday afternoons a month as teacher directed time.

Starting this year I will have the same subjects and most likely similar class sizes.
Monday early release will end, so students will have a consistent school day throughout the week.
30 minute duty free lunch.
60 minute planning daily (by School Board regulation) with one to be used for collaboration/CLT. The other four are to be unencumbered.
Staff meetings, announced with a certain amount of advanced notice) can be held no more than twice a month and may be no longer than one hour each (by regulation).

Old 08-02-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
And doubtless, she couldn't afford to send children to the very school at which she teaches, on the salary she is paid to do provide high-caliber instruction of the sort that justifies $20K tuition.

I always chose to work private v. public. Working with small groups of students is my personal requirement. But there are tradeoffs, indeed.
Actually, she can because they give her a discount. I believe she pays 20% of the tuition rate. Of course that's a big chunk of her salary but nowhere near the $20k other parents pay.

Hers is the only private teaching job I've ever heard of that pays a decent salary. All of the other teachers I know who teach in private schools make next to nothing. Ditto for the teachers I know who teach in charter schools. I made $32K/year when I taught in a charter school and that's with a masters degree and the benefits sucked. This will be my 7th year teaching and IF they give steps this year (they've only given them once in the last 4 years), I'll be making $50K/year. I don't think we're getting steps this year though. I think I'll have to wait until next year. I find it amazing that the district cries poor and then hurts the lowest paid teachers by denying steps. They make such a big deal about how your pay will go up year after year if you take the job and then freeze steps year after year.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:54 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Actually, she can because they give her a discount. I believe she pays 20% of the tuition rate.
I think that is TR's point--she would NOT be able to send her children there on her salary alone. She and many other teachers work for less than they would earn in public schools so that they can get the staff discount. I'm surprised they don't have to declare it as income so that the government can get their pound of flesh.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I think that is TR's point--she would NOT be able to send her children there on her salary alone. She and many other teachers work for less than they would earn in public schools so that they can get the staff discount. I'm surprised they don't have to declare it as income so that the government can get their pound of flesh.
Actually, she doesn't work for less. She makes a lot more than I do. Her starting pay was half again what mine is right now. She is the only teacher I know who works for a private school and makes decent money. The others I know make between half to three quarters what I make and my pay is low. They've frozen wages 3 out of 4 years I've been teaching and most likely will again this year. I'm looking for a job in engineering because I can't afford to send my dd to college on what I'm making. No luck yet but I'm looking.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
I'm at elementary but a special's teacher.

Seven 45 minute classes
40 minute lunch- classroom teachers get 45 minutes
40 minute prep- classroom teachers get 45

We do have 5 minutes in between classes and 10 minutes between duty and students coming to us, so that is the difference in lunch and prep.

We have duty every morning and sometimes in the afternoon as well.
I am glad that you have five minutes between classes.

The elementary specials teachers in my area all have back to back to back classes.
They can't even catch their breath (let alone go to the bathroom) when the next class is walking in while the last class is walking out.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I think that is TR's point--she would NOT be able to send her children there on her salary alone.
dingdingding!

The premise that private education is valuable enough to charge through the nose for it, but not valuable enough to pay those providing the instruction a competitive wage to do so is always an interesting one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching