Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you were a teacher what would be your ideal grade to teach?
Preschool 2 8.70%
Kindergarten 1 4.35%
1st 0 0%
2nd 0 0%
3rd 1 4.35%
4th 1 4.35%
5th 0 0%
6th 2 8.70%
7th 1 4.35%
8th 1 4.35%
9th 1 4.35%
10th 1 4.35%
11th 2 8.70%
12th 1 4.35%
College 9 39.13%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 08:42 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

I was initially certified in 7-12 (the secondary ed certificate in my state then). I since added other endorsements and have taught pre-K through 12th. All have their charms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 11:42 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Teaching in middle school is the best gig in education - as long as you can tolerate the drama and are good at classroom management. Because you usually teach the exact same thing all day long, it requires less planning and prep than the other levels. Most of my time was at the middle school but I spent 3 years of my career in elementary, including one year in the purgatory otherwise known as kindergarten, and two at a high school. Elementary teachers have a special place in my heart because I know how hard they work, they put in more hours than any other level, but no one seems to want to acknowledge that.
I've thought about teaching middle school students. After many years in the elementary grades I think it might be worth trying. My state certification is NK-8, but I'm not sure I could actually teach middle school without a specific content area endorsement/certification.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:12 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,077,590 times
I think teaching teenagers would be a nightmare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg5E0_1QqIw

Old 08-18-2014, 07:11 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,985 times
I prefer the attitudes of 5th grade, but if I had to think about the curriculum and state standardized testing, I'd pick 4th.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:17 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
For me, it would either be high school AP or college. I like working with students who can manage themselves, and I hate shenanigans, absolutely can't stand anything that interrupts my agenda and attempts to make me look foolish. I love reigniting a sense of wonder and working with someone to whose experience I can relate. I hate trying to make things easy for students but, in the process, making things complicated for me. I like showing off my skills and knowledge and love the focus to be on what we are learning, not necessarily how we are learning it.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:20 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
I taught college for a few years and now teach high school. My upper level students (11/12 grades) are generally well behaved, however the Freshmen can be a little troublesome. HS students are often less motivated than college students, but I find that I can have more fun in class with high school students. Whenever I tried to play a game in a college class (I teach foreign language), the students would act so bored. HS students generally enjoy any games.

I've thought about trying middle school in the future.

I don't think I would ever teach anything other than college, HS, or MS. Elementary (to me) is too much babysitting and requires a lot more patience.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:30 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Elementary (to me) is too much babysitting...
Oh boy. [Grabs popcorn]

Old 08-22-2014, 08:34 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,309 times
High school juniors. I can't deal with the immaturity of children. Juniors are almost adults, and I think care most about their grades, as opposed to seniors that are just thinking about graduating. Sophomores are ok, but still too immature. Forget freshman, practically still babies. And I don't know how people teach middle school, you folks should get extra pay for dealing with that age group. I guess elementary kids are cute and can be molded, but not my cup of tea.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:02 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
College/university is my preference as there are few disciplinary issues to deal with usually in the classroom.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Oh boy. [Grabs popcorn]
Depends on your idea of "babysitting."

It's true that elementary levels (and early childhood ed) requires a LOT of behavioral intervention (at times, near-constant), which is not necessarily every teacher's burning passion when deciding to go into education. Referring to the reality that the early years of education represent the time of life when individuals are doing more growing and changing and developing compressed into a relatively short period of time than they will at any other time in their lives as "babysitting" sells it short. Elementary ed teachers are tasked with getting a LOT of basic skills honed while dealing with an age group for which simply keeping them from injuring themselves and one another can really be a full-time job.

Special ed teachers get slammed this way a lot, too, and it's only people who don't really understand what the job entails who are the ones perpetrating this particular view.

The poster who referred to it as babysitting did bring up one very, very true point, and that is that patience is an essential attribute...typically more patience than the average person possesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching