Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 12:32 PM

96 posts, read 91,912 times

Advertisements

I am a NYC Physical Education. I received a developing rating overall. It is my tenure year. For some time I have been thinking about leaving the profession. The job is stressful. I work with high school kids and I just don't like the disrespect that teens display to teachers. Most don't want to be taking physical education. It's stressful having to manage behaviors and motivate these students to want to participate. When I saw my rating, I felt so incompetent and felt like crying.

I feel that I am an effective teacher. I received feedback from paras who observed my classes; received feedback from students who liked my lessons; and feedback from colleagues who have said that I am a good teacher. My UFT leader has said that he likes me as I am one of the few "good" teachers in the school. My evaluator is inaccurate with her evaluations. She penalizes me heavily for minor occurrences that happen within the lesson. For example, I received an ineffective for managing student behaviors because a female student her her cell phone out and I didn't notice it. That was the only issue in the lesson. Students were engaged and actively participating in the lesson. None of my students were disruptive. I received effective for engaging students in the lesson.

As a result of my rating as a developing teacher, I now have to go on a teacher improvement plan and the decision on whether or not I receive tenure is jeopardized. I am really thinking about changing careers because I don't feel happy. I recently completed graduate school and feel I wasted my time. I have 9Ks of student debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 03:06 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETeacher83 View Post
I am a NYC Physical Education. I received a developing rating overall. It is my tenure year. For some time I have been thinking about leaving the profession. The job is stressful. I work with high school kids and I just don't like the disrespect that teens display to teachers. Most don't want to be taking physical education. It's stressful having to manage behaviors and motivate these students to want to participate. When I saw my rating, I felt so incompetent and felt like crying.

I feel that I am an effective teacher. I received feedback from paras who observed my classes; received feedback from students who liked my lessons; and feedback from colleagues who have said that I am a good teacher. My UFT leader has said that he likes me as I am one of the few "good" teachers in the school. My evaluator is inaccurate with her evaluations. She penalizes me heavily for minor occurrences that happen within the lesson. For example, I received an ineffective for managing student behaviors because a female student her her cell phone out and I didn't notice it. That was the only issue in the lesson. Students were engaged and actively participating in the lesson. None of my students were disruptive. I received effective for engaging students in the lesson.

As a result of my rating as a developing teacher, I now have to go on a teacher improvement plan and the decision on whether or not I receive tenure is jeopardized. I am really thinking about changing careers because I don't feel happy. I recently completed graduate school and feel I wasted my time. I have 9Ks of student debt.
If you are unhappy this is the time to make the move. If you are just starting out you have a long time to work ahead of you. There are many other options to find something that you enjoy. If you want to stay in physical education perhaps you can work in a fitness center, rehabilitation or a sports-related business.

Teaching can be an isolating career and if you decide to leave 10 or 20 yrs from now the move will be much harder as your skills will not likely transfer to jobs paying anywhere near your exit salary.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:34 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:

You know that in NYC, the reason for your rating has nothing to do with how effective you are at teaching PE. A large part of your rating is based on how much improvement the kids have had on the state math and reading tests. It's totally bogus and imo, will only get worse.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:21 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
I have yet to meet any teacher rated over PROFICIENT. I have been told by a few administrators that if teachers all scored highly effective, there would be no room for growth. I asked how much more growth could a teacher with 25 years experience show? The next day I had time to up date my resume...

Old 09-12-2014, 08:57 AM

107 posts, read 198,341 times
Get out of NYC and get out of public schools.

NAIS is your friend for your next job.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:52 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Quote:

You've learned that teaching is indeed a political career, and thus the need for tenure protection to keep administrators from arbitrarily terminating people. I hope you're a union member and that you've contacted your local rep. Perhaps you can contest the evaluation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching