Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 06:39 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,980 times

Advertisements

I didn't major in education. I majored in journalism and minored in music. I'll try making this long story short. I've taught adults ESL for years and years, and I came to North Carolina (from Ohio, born in Miami, FL) to get a TESL Certificate at Duke, thinking it would enhance my resume. Anyway, I worked as an ESL TA for six months, having been called in to help out at three schools. It was a temporary situation, but my supervisor said I should take the PRAXIS II and if I passed I could teach in a public school. Well, no one would hire me because I didn't have "initial licensure."

Fast forward. I've been doing admin. temp work over the years (hate it) and when my last assignment ended I put myself on the sub lists at some parochial schools. I'm waiting for my transcripts to be evaluated at the RALC (Regional Alternative Licensing Center). I've applied for numerous TA positions and clerical ones too at the schools here in Raleigh. My hope was to find a job and then in January start taking courses again and be focused on getting licensed here in NC since I'm living here. I have yet to find anything. I am working three afternoons at a parochial school in an after school program. I enjoy it a lot but of course need additional employment. I have learned that NC now has a stand alone ESL license but they won't let me work on that license as an initial license because my degree is not a relevant degree (would have to have majored in English or linguistics). So, I'm going to see what I need for licensure in either music or language arts.

It's amazing here. I don't know how other states are. But here, people don't return phone calls for days and days and it's one obstacle after another. I got the name of one woman at a nearby university as the person to contact re: licensure. I did, and she finally wrote back and said she doesn't do advising. I called the person she suggested today and thus far no contact. I have been in touch with two music advisors at two universities to inquire about licensure. I sent my transcripts back in July and followed up. They were busy preparing for the fall term. Here it is September and neither has the courtesy to contact me.

I was going to start a Master's in TESOL at a university in Ohio. I put it off because I have been hesitant on getting a Master's and whether it will be a good return on the investment. I'm in my 50s and serious about this because securing a loan, only to come out with finding part-time teaching only concerns me. That's what I've been doing, teaching part-time. However, despite not going forward with that I still think I should've gone there (Findlay) or I should go back to Ohio to Cleveland where I lived for three years. Yes, it's really cold, but people there seem a whole lot more efficient. To see if I can still do the Master's, or get licensed there.

Or maybe not? Maybe another state. Does anyone have any feedback to offer on this? I do want to teach and I know I want to go on one of the routes I'm interested in. But where? Also, what is more marketable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 04:07 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Have you contacted North Carolina Public Schools

That should be your first step. They will tell you exactly what you need to get a license here.

If you already have a BA/BS, ask them what coursework you need in order to become certified. My friend had a BS in criminal justice and did her teaching cert. course work at Meredith. It was an 18 month program and she was awarded with a Masters degree in Education upon completion.

Be aware that you will not get any additional pay for holding a Masters degree in this state. You had to have been enrolled in a program this past summer in order to get those benefits.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:38 PM

564 posts, read 1,042,980 times
Ironic that you mention Meredith College because I went there on Friday. I knew previously that they have a Master's in TESOL degree with licensure but I never considered it because of the tuition. I can't pay the tuition anywhere for that matter, so the only way I'll be able to do it is via a loan. But, there are a few small grant possibilities. The program looks really good. I feel like getting into a formal program like Meredith's will be the only way coming from a non-education degree. The only drawback at Meredith is I won't be able to start till Fall of 2015, and it requires a GRE. Master's programs in TESOL in other places don't all require the GRE and one can start in Spring or Summer too, not only Fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching