Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 01:27 PM

122 posts, read 159,390 times

Advertisements

Hello, all

I am a Resource Teacher in Houston, Texas. As "good" as the big boy Charter schools are supposed to be, one area they sorely lack is in their Special Education departments. I won't name names, but one Charter in particular just drags their feet when it comes to paperwork.

So my question is, how long does a district have to send IEP paperwork for a student when a student transfers? This student started at the beginning of the year and ended the year at her previous school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 05:19 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredboredteacher View Post
Hello, all

I am a Resource Teacher in Houston, Texas. As "good" as the big boy Charter schools are supposed to be, one area they sorely lack is in their Special Education departments. I won't name names, but one Charter in particular just drags their feet when it comes to paperwork.

So my question is, how long does a district have to send IEP paperwork for a student when a student transfers? This student started at the beginning of the year and ended the year at her previous school.
In my district, students can not be placed in a special education program of any type until the IEP actually arrives, and is processed, in the district office. So, in my district, that child would be in the regular classroom with zero services until the IEP arrives.

However, I should clarify, that if a parent brings in their copy of the IEP and all of the other reports the school will usually place the child until the official paperwork arrives. Most districts send the paperwork within two weeks of the official signed request.

BTW. When children with extreme problems start in the district, and are forced to be placed in regular education classes with no support, my district has been known to call the other district and insist that the most important papers be faxed over that same day.

Last edited by germaine2626; 09-17-2014 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching