Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 05:29 AM

158 posts, read 256,519 times

Advertisements

I don't know where to start. I've been working in finance over the last five years, but I've become very disillusioned with my job as a "number cruncher" that I feel it's time for a change. I'm a bit old (I'm 28), so what would be the best route? Preferably, I'd like to teach in a different state. Should I be looking into a master's program in education or obtain alternative teacher certification?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 12:55 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Why>?

Old 09-23-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Why>?
Why not? I think it would be more personally fulfilling. I've made enough money, so I don't care about that.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:37 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySide View Post
I don't know where to start. I've been working in finance over the last five years, but I've become very disillusioned with my job as a "number cruncher" that I feel it's time for a change. I'm a bit old (I'm 28), so what would be the best route? Preferably, I'd like to teach in a different state. Should I be looking into a master's program in education or obtain alternative teacher certification?

Thank you
Where are you currently located?

BTW: As a teacher I am doing more and more "number crunching" every year.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
You need to determine what state you are going to seek teaching positions in, and check with their state dept of education in regard to their certification standards and process. It varies state to state. In most cases, a master's in ed with no teaching certification isn't going to do very much for you in terms of getting into the classroom.

And, yes, there is now loads upon loads of paper pushing and number crunching and data collection and data analysis that is part and parcel of teaching. The feel-good image of the impassioned educator, instructing and enlightening and molding young minds is a romanticized view of a profession that has loads upon loads of administrative busywork crammed into the list of responsibilities one is tasked with. Actual TEACHING, as you probably understand it, is only one part of the role.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:16 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Why not? I think it would be more personally fulfilling. I've made enough money, so I don't care about that.
Haven't you heard, it ain't about the money.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:20 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Before you embark on a teaching career, spend a good chunk of time in a classroom. My husband thought he wanted to teach and took the certification classes only to find it was nothing like he had envisioned. It was a huge disappointment for him, as well as a big outlay of time and money.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:28 PM

235 posts, read 299,059 times
I would check the requirements within your state.

It might also be a good idea to ask current teachers about the pros/cons that come with the job. That way it will give you a better idea as to whether or not going into education really is the best move for you.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:03 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,985 times
Quote:
Have you ever taught before?
Ever subbed?
Ever talked to someone about the reality of teaching nowadays?
Do that first (if you haven't) and then make up your mind about becoming a teacher.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Have you ever taught before?
Ever subbed?
Ever talked to someone about the reality of teaching nowadays?
Do that first (if you haven't) and then make up your mind about becoming a teacher.
I've subbed before and have volunteered to grade state proficiency exams for high school students. So what's the next step? This is a sincere question. I already am aware of the negatives, I was a student myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching