Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:52 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Your expectations of yourself and your education are way too high, which is causing your insecurity. I recently graduated with a teaching degree. I got very little from the pre-student teaching practicums. One of the teachers I observed had his classes either playing a test review game or watching, Saving Private Ryan," almost every class I attended. I don't think I actually saw him teach a class after sitting through at least 10 classes.

I got little feedback in my student teaching experience since my cooperating teacher was out of the school 1-2 days a week at meetings and spent much of class time on the phone.

I have gained more knowledge from substitute teaching because I have had the opportunity to observe so many different teachers. I am co-teaching today in a middle school English class with a teacher I had never met. She is very assertive, positive and self-confident. She is actually a long-term sub in this position.

I think you will find most professional jobs have much less preparation and training than teaching. For most jobs, the most important qualification to have is self-confidence and being a self-starter. I think you will find it to be more difficult in another professional career field.
Substitute teaching usually just beats me up, but maybe I haven't been asking the right kinds of questions. The admins usually give me blanket answers if I ask for classroom management tips, but the teachers usually have something somewhat specific that they do. They've been little victories, but I do notice a bit more control in the classroom when the students know, or think, that I'm familiar with the regular teacher's discipline strategies. I think what really might work for me is to make sure I know as much as I can about the particular classrooms and schools where I sub. If there is a school-wide discipline plan, I need to know it. If the classroom teacher regularly gives punishment writing assignments or makes the students copy math problems when they do not follow directions, I need to be able to act like I will do the same. Being familiar with the regular teacher's procedures works; when too many things are different, students start to remark, "she doesn't know what she's doing," and then I have a fight on my hands. The closer I stick to their normal routine, the more success I have. Unfortunately, the typical "sub day," even at an okay school, consists of simple worksheets and allowing students "free time" when they finish their "work." This usually translates to students making paper airplanes out of the worksheets and throwing them across the room while talking so loud that other teachers complain about the noise level. I wish "sub plans" actually went along with what they were studying so that they would take the assignment seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 02:38 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I'm beginning to think this is just a hard job, and perhaps I've chosen the wrong line of work.
I think you would do better as a resource teacher (as others have mentioned). You would not have to "think on your feet" as much, and you would not be dealing with discipline problems. Being in a classroom of 20 or more students requires that you are able to switch gears quickly, which does not seem to be one of your strong points. Your approach seems better suited to a one on one environment.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:21 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Substitute teaching usually just beats me up, but maybe I haven't been asking the right kinds of questions. The admins usually give me blanket answers if I ask for classroom management tips, but the teachers usually have something somewhat specific that they do. They've been little victories, but I do notice a bit more control in the classroom when the students know, or think, that I'm familiar with the regular teacher's discipline strategies. I think what really might work for me is to make sure I know as much as I can about the particular classrooms and schools where I sub. If there is a school-wide discipline plan, I need to know it. If the classroom teacher regularly gives punishment writing assignments or makes the students copy math problems when they do not follow directions, I need to be able to act like I will do the same. Being familiar with the regular teacher's procedures works; when too many things are different, students start to remark, "she doesn't know what she's doing," and then I have a fight on my hands. The closer I stick to their normal routine, the more success I have. Unfortunately, the typical "sub day," even at an okay school, consists of simple worksheets and allowing students "free time" when they finish their "work." This usually translates to students making paper airplanes out of the worksheets and throwing them across the room while talking so loud that other teachers complain about the noise level.
I wish "sub plans" actually went along with what they were studying so that they would take the assignment seriously.
Perhaps part of your difficulty are the schools expectations for substitute teachers.

I have been subbing for several years, after I retired from full time teaching, and I have never been in an elementary classroom where they had the substitute give out "simple worksheets" and then allow free time. In 100% of the cases substitutes are expected to be the teacher for that day. If the teacher has math lesson 2.5 scheduled, the sub better follow the teacher's manual and completely teach math lesson 2.5 that day so that the regular teacher can go on to math lesson 2.6 the next day. If the spelling lesson on page 82 is scheduled the sub needs to complete that lesson so the teacher can move on to the next lesson the next day.

Of course, there may be some "rearranging" perhaps the teacher will shift a science experiment or the introduction of a new concept to after she she/he returns but at least in the districts where I teach the sub does the actual "teaching" for that day. Sometimes, the lesson plans left are just extra notes written in the classroom teachers weekly lesson plan book.

It is somewhat different in MS & HS but teachers, in my area, still leave plans related to their current topic or unit, but just geared to someone who may or may not be certified in that subject area.

All of the teachers are required to leave information about their classroom routines, disciple policies, and any school wide policies/rules.

Perhaps, the schools in the OPs area are different.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:43 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
To the OP, did you actually go through a STUDENT TEACHING portion of the teaching program? If so, and you actually passed it, I have to say you're host teacher did you a terrible dis service by giving you a passing grade. Im finding it hard to believe a host teacher allowed you to create lessons and handle your own discipline and you're findding yourself in this current distress

I also truly think one of your mistakes is covering elementary school classes as a Sub. Those teachers and administrators at that level can be quite anal. As mentioned, many expect you to teach the class as if they would. And you say one wrong thing to a kid at that level and you will be immediately removed. I find it risky becuz the kids will misinterpret any form of sarcasim or round about joke and may even start to cry when you didnt mean anything by it

Old 10-24-2014, 03:14 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
To the OP, did you actually go through a STUDENT TEACHING portion of the teaching program? If so, and you actually passed it, I have to say you're host teacher did you a terrible dis service by giving you a passing grade. Im finding it hard to believe a host teacher allowed you to create lessons and handle your own discipline and you're findding yourself in this current distress

I also truly think one of your mistakes is covering elementary school classes as a Sub. Those teachers and administrators at that level can be quite anal. As mentioned, many expect you to teach the class as if they would. And you say one wrong thing to a kid at that level and you will be immediately removed. I find it risky becuz the kids will misinterpret any form of sarcasim or round about joke and may even start to cry when you didnt mean anything by it
The only thing I like about elementary school is that the teachers leave real work. Middle school and high school teachers usually just leave worksheets, usually enough work to only fill a few minutes. Sometimes they do them, and sometimes they don't. I usually take high school assignments, though, because that is my area of specialization. I haven't had a lot of luck with elementary school and have only tried it a few times. I will say, though, that some of the lessons the teachers come up with are very good and well thought out. I also like the fact that I have access to technology and get a chance to be perceived as a "real teacher," by the kids, until I make a mistake, at least. Middle school and high school students do not give me that courtesy, and the work their teachers leave may not even cover the topic they are learning. I've had to come up with new tricks for them. The middle school students like the sub to be an entertainer, which I'm not good at doing, and the high school students want the sub to chat with them and take it easy; I can do that if the students are well-behaved. If not, though, I have to be the authority figure and get a little bit of rebellion when I ask a kid to do something he or she doesn't want to do. It also helps to know the policies of the individual school. If the blanket policy says, "students are not allowed to listen to music," and I catch someone listening to a device, unless instructed otherwise, I request that the student put it up. Sometimes, though, the teachers allow them to do things that the policy would otherwise forbid, like the eating and drinking in the computer lab example. In this case, allowing them certain liberties keeps the otherwise defiant students calm, so it's important that they be allowed little freedoms here and there. It really all depends, not only on the school, but on the individual teacher and class. The latest groups of middle and high school students I've been dealing with, though, are a new level of bad. The maturity level is low, so I'm not really sure how to deal with them.

Last edited by krmb; 10-24-2014 at 03:27 AM..

Old 10-24-2014, 05:41 PM

425 posts, read 431,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Middle
Ok, well I can believe that. But that's very different from high school -- almost the difference between a kid and an adult. I believe my claims stand again. It may or may not be relevant to kmb (don't know if he's doing high school).

Old 10-24-2014, 06:08 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiMT View Post
Ok, well I can believe that. But that's very different from high school -- almost the difference between a kid and an adult. I believe my claims stand again. It may or may not be relevant to kmb (don't know if he's doing high school).
I subbed at all levels in the DC school system four months before I was hired full-time. Just FYI, as far as behavior goes, everyone is easier to manage than middle schoolers. My point is, and was, that you have to be able to read the kids and figure out how to best respond because not every child responds the same way to the same attempt to control them - you have be flexible. There is no pat answer, teachers and subs have to be able to assess and adjust. Those that can do so well have an easier time managing a classroom. Those that can't, will have a rougher time.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:36 PM

425 posts, read 431,773 times
I see your point about middle schoolers but still believe that certain high schoolers would be more difficult. All of the solutions you listed would be dismissed by certain high school kids. I have seen it, not just with me, but much bolder and higher authorities than myself. When an obstinate 17 year old "checks out" (or tunes you out completely), there is sometimes very little you can do. Even the "worst" middle schoolers are usually not hardened in their ways.

As for being able to read kids, be quick, flexible, innovative... yeah. These are definitely traits you need to be successful. They are also traits that can usually be built over time.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:47 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
The only thing I like about elementary school is that the teachers leave real work. Middle school and high school teachers usually just leave worksheets, usually enough work to only fill a few minutes. Sometimes they do them, and sometimes they don't. I usually take high school assignments, though, because that is my area of specialization. I haven't had a lot of luck with elementary school and have only tried it a few times. I will say, though, that some of the lessons the teachers come up with are very good and well thought out. I also like the fact that I have access to technology and get a chance to be perceived as a "real teacher," by the kids, until I make a mistake, at least. Middle school and high school students do not give me that courtesy, and the work their teachers leave may not even cover the topic they are learning. I've had to come up with new tricks for them. The middle school students like the sub to be an entertainer, which I'm not good at doing, and the high school students want the sub to chat with them and take it easy; I can do that if the students are well-behaved. If not, though, I have to be the authority figure and get a little bit of rebellion when I ask a kid to do something he or she doesn't want to do. It also helps to know the policies of the individual school. If the blanket policy says, "students are not allowed to listen to music," and I catch someone listening to a device, unless instructed otherwise, I request that the student put it up. Sometimes, though, the teachers allow them to do things that the policy would otherwise forbid, like the eating and drinking in the computer lab example. In this case, allowing them certain liberties keeps the otherwise defiant students calm, so it's important that they be allowed little freedoms here and there. It really all depends, not only on the school, but on the individual teacher and class. The latest groups of middle and high school students I've been dealing with, though, are a new level of bad. The maturity level is low, so I'm not really sure how to deal with them.
You completely glossed over my main question......Have you actually completed a state teaching program where at the end you had to work as a student teacher, preparing lesson plans and handling discipline alongside the regular teacher?

If you have, what subject did you complete the program in?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:28 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiMT View Post
As for being able to read kids, be quick, flexible, innovative... yeah. These are definitely traits you need to be successful. They are also traits that can usually be built over time.
They can be built up, yes, but for some people not enough to be effective as a classroom teacher. Not everyone can be a successful teacher, there are some traits you simply have to naturally possess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching