Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 03:14 PM

607 posts, read 761,020 times

Advertisements

I strongly feel that art and music classes add so much to children's education. The actual model of US grammar schools at the turn of the 20th century(just when education became mass/compulsory), had as its' model the German "Gymnasium". Children were taught Montessori-like, well-rounded, to make the complete person. It was meant to enhance what was considered the human spirit in a child.

Now, with the gutting of music/arts(even PE in many cases), we seem to have lost that sense of helping to form and bring out a whole human spirit, well-rounded and deep. So much is lost.

I am thankful I was one of the last generations to go to grammar school when they still had art and music teachers full-time as a matter of course, with plenty of materials for them to work with. That was a precious part of our week. So many wonderful projects(of course with Elmers Glue and construction paper, essentially duct tape for kids!). Our music teachers would have the entire class sing a round style version, with different kids coming in at diff times. Was wonderful.

Do they even have show and tell anymore?......what have we lost with all the budget slashing, even of PE in many cases? Gym, Music, and Art were absolutely awesome parts of our week. Letting the young soul soar with wings.

Are there any music/art teachers left anywhere anymore?

Pic below "creative commons" re Wikipedia, vetted by the same....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 04:47 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
My grand children's elementary school has music, art and PE. They rotate for these specials, so they don't have music and art every day. Not sure about PE. They also have a library rotation.

Looking at the district itself, it would seem that all the elementary schools have these (they are k-4 schools).

Old 10-30-2014, 07:14 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Our elementary schools have art, music, and PE.

They have "show and tell" in the younger grades.

Perhaps rumors of their demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:36 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
I haven't experienced their loss. We have art, music, strings, band, p.e., foreign language immersion, Foreign Language Through Content, and library (with lessons, not just browsing).

Old 10-30-2014, 08:04 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I started embedding music and arts into my core subject classes, so kids would still get that exposure.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:52 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I started embedding music and arts into my core subject classes, so kids would still get that exposure.
Only the very best teachers do that!

Old 10-30-2014, 08:58 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,766,438 times
We still have music, art, Spanish, computer, band, choir....elementary school. The younger grades have show and tell.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Only the very best teachers do that!
You wouldn't believe the complaints, though...

"it's ENGLISH. Why do they have to do ART?"

Old 10-30-2014, 11:11 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Perhaps you live in a depressed area? Where I live, I haven't seen any kind of significant cuts to the art, music, or PE programs over the past 25 years. They are all mandatory as per the state curriculum. Every elementary school has general music one or two times a week, plus chorus, plus band, plus orchestra.

The New York City Public Schools, with over 1,000,000 students, the largest district in the US just hired hundreds of new music teachers and several hundred drama teachers K-12. Granted, their music programs are subpar in comparison to the neighboring suburban schools, with the exception of the specialized high schools like LaGuardia. There are plans for additional expansion. There are also several charter schools with a music theme.

I do notice that with the increase on academics in the lower grades that show and tell has been severaly cut back. It's still a big part of nursery school, prekindergarten, and in some kindergartens.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:24 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,864 times
My kids' public elementary school has daily "specials". They have one per day: art, music, PE, technology, library, and then beginning in the 3rd grade, project based learning.

They've never had Show & Tell, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching