Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 05:15 PM

527 posts, read 705,966 times

Advertisements

Seriously how did you pass that praxis exam? My son wants to be certified for Social Studies / ESL /
/ Special Education but sample questions looks so difficult for both of us! He wants to do the alternate route. He did substitute teach for a year and loved it. Best job ever... A dream for him.

Please give advice!!

Old 12-04-2014, 06:06 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,251,426 times
Which exams will he be taking specifically?

Old 12-04-2014, 06:20 PM

588 posts, read 1,433,875 times
Praxis II?

Old 12-04-2014, 06:22 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,420,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Seriously how did you pass that praxis exam? My son wants to be certified for Social Studies / ESL /
/ Special Education but sample questions looks so difficult for both of us! He wants to do the alternate route. He did substitute teach for a year and loved it. Best job ever... A dream for him.

Please give advice!!
Why is this your question? Shouldn't your son be the one figuring out how to pass a test he has to take? It's his test to take and his problem to figure out how to pass it. You really can't help him here.

It looks like there are study aids on their website and you can purchase other study aids.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 12-04-2014 at 06:45 PM..

Old 12-04-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot201 View Post
Praxis II?
Yes

Old 12-04-2014, 08:06 PM

10,290 posts, read 10,531,602 times
Quote:

Please give advice!!
I read your other posts in the Work and Employment forum. I don't think you and your son are very realistic about a teaching career. I understand your son has recently graduated with a degree in sociology and is starting a new job with low pay and no benefits. Teaching looks attractive to him. You state that he wants to do an alternate route.

My take is if he was able to do an alternate route, it would not look attractive when interviewing for a teaching job in social studies/special education as compared to people who have majored in history and/or political science, and have also take the necessary classes for a dual certification in special education. Most principals that are making a hiring decision are going to want to see a background in coursework related to what the person will be teaching, and a decent GPA in these courses.

The normal way for him to get his teaching certification at this point is to go back to school for a masters in education or a postbaccalaureate program to complete the education and social studies classes required for social studies/special education certification. This will require him to student teach for a minimum of one semester, if they will allow a placement for social studies and a placement for special education during that semester.

The social studies Praxis assumes basic knowledge that someone would learn during middle school, high school and taking at least eight social studies related courses in college. The The exam has six major content areas: United States history, world history, government/civics/political science, geography, economics, and behavorial sciences. It is not a difficult test for someone who has a strong interest in history and knows what areas they need to review. It could be overwhelming for someone without the necessary background in these subjects. Many people do not pass the test on the first try.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 12-04-2014 at 08:26 PM..

Old 12-04-2014, 08:16 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,555,963 times
Quote:

Please give advice!!
If you are a native English speaker and have studied the field, it should be easy. You just go in, sign your name, and sit for the test. Many of the questions are common sense and stuff your professors emphasized and re-emphasized.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,314,997 times
The OP's son hasn't studied any of those content areas...per earlier threads, the son has a degree in sociology and felt that majoring in education was too difficult.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:34 PM

10,290 posts, read 10,531,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
If you are a native English speaker and have studied the field, it should be easy. You just go in, sign your name, and sit for the test. Many of the questions are common sense and stuff your professors emphasized and re-emphasized.
I don't know what Praxis test you are referring to but that is not true with the social studies test. I had never studied ancient China and had several questions on my test on ancient Chinese civilizations and dynasties. Other questions assumed a knowledge of the Constitution, amendments and Supreme Court cases. It requires specific knowledge not common sense.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:36 PM

^^ My son is able to teach Social Studies actually because in our state doing the alternate route he must take 15 credits of different history classes; he took already all of those and got all A's

However, he just needs to score high on the praxis exam!! He got A's because his professors were easy graders and liked him according to him. He forget most of what he learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching