Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 09:12 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,674,513 times

Advertisements

» Why half of the nation’s new teachers can’t leave the profession fast enough.

This attrition rate is costing the US 2.2 billion dollars a year.

This article hits the nail on the head. What is most telling was that leadership always states the road to improved attrition rates as: More professional development and better teacher education programs. Not one teacher, past or present, stated this as the reason. It just shows the disconnect between teachers and "leadership".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 10:29 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
» Why half of the nation’s new teachers can’t leave the profession fast enough.

This attrition rate is costing the US 2.2 billion dollars a year.

This article hits the nail on the head. What is most telling was that leadership always states the road to improved attrition rates as: More professional development and better teacher education programs. Not one teacher, past or present, stated this as the reason. It just shows the disconnect between teachers and "leadership".
I agree with this article. A good principal can make all the difference.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:37 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
The issue with teacher pay comes down to class size. You can only pay teachers according to the amount of "revenue per child" and we insist upon having small class sizes, therefore we cant pay teachers as much because we need more teachers per school. If we dropped the ridiculous notion that students have to be babied by teachers in small classrooms then we could pay teachers more, and in turn have better motivated teachers.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
The issue with teacher pay comes down to class size. You can only pay teachers according to the amount of "revenue per child" and we insist upon having small class sizes, therefore we cant pay teachers as much because we need more teachers per school. If we dropped the ridiculous notion that students have to be babied by teachers in small classrooms then we could pay teachers more, and in turn have better motivated teachers.
Although teachers do deserve to be paid, at least, enough to be part of the middle class, pay was not one of the reasons given. From the article:

Quote:
Looks like we found the “key element”; now what can leaders do?

For starters, create a better environment: support teachers, listen, help, and be nice.
Don’t over schedule teachers. Teachers need time to plan and time to work with peers.
Take some of that money spent on testing and throw a teacher an extra planing period.
Take all extra, bureaucratic, busy work off teachers’ plates and let them teach. Enough with the fat; trim it and give teachers some extra time.
Restore autonomy and creativity back to the classrooms

Old 01-08-2015, 05:05 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I agree with this article. A good principal can make all the difference.
YES! YES! YES!
Seriously. Having a principal that is out of touch with what it's really like to teach in the classroom nowadays is miserable. Then when they make 2, 3, 4 times more than their teachers and don't do what they're supposed to just makes a bigger divide within the school

Quote:
^Teachers at my school were told to believe this baloney as well.
My school switched to open enrollment and teachers were told that "by having more students in your classroom, you'll be payed more money since the school is getting more money". It's been a few years. No raise, no extra money being handed out, yet I'm stuck with almost 30 kids.

Did the school get more money? Yes, but it isn't going to the teachers!

Old 01-09-2015, 08:39 AM

^It's rare that I ever had less than 30 students.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:24 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
But, when district A pays starting teachers $41K and the one next door pays $46K, how many teachers are staying in District A?

Also the problem is charter schools, especially the FOR PROFIT schools. They have driven salaries down by hiring any teacher that s willing to work for less than $38K starting salary. When a teacher gains some experience and asks about steps or any raise, they generally are RIF'd and another group of new and inexperienced teachers are hired for the $37K..

Old 01-09-2015, 04:22 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
^It's rare that I ever had less than 30 students.

Are you elementary? I am. I can't imagine having more than 30 students in an elementary classroom.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Are you elementary? I am. I can't imagine having more than 30 students in an elementary classroom.
No, secondary.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:16 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
It's not that uncommon here. My wife has 29, which is big but not unusually large. Another person on her team has 34. I don't think I've ever had more than 31, but we did have an elementary science class last year with 36.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching