Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:58 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Well, I guess I'm going to buck the trend...

Yes!

Actually you have to be crazy (at least a little) to work with the rough and tumble kids. I've found that the most successful inner-city teachers were a little off. Let's face it, if you're too normal you won't be able to cope with all the little, "adventures," you're going to face as an inner-city educator.

It sounds like you're interested and capable. Just be aware that you will recive little to no administrative assistance and you will have behavioral problems (see Mrshvo's post). If you are unsure about the inner-city setting, you may want to try special ed LD children. I understand that area is just as challenging and rewarding.
I guess I am a little off then (I don't know how you define successful, I don't think I'd say I have been among the most "successful" but I have lasted over ten years). Have you had experience in an inner city school yourself?

To the OP, I'd say you're not crazy, but I would caution you to really do your homework. There are good schools in bad neighborhoods. You want a strong and supportive administration who will support you in every way. This is the key. I think I've lasted this long because the kids in my school are very decent and the conditions, overall, are a lot better than in many schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 06:32 PM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
Quote:
I guess I am a little off then (I don't know how you define successful, I don't think I'd say I have been among the most "successful" but I have lasted over ten years). Have you had experience in an inner city school yourself?
Lol, oh my yes! I'm just a bit touched in the head, my warped sense of humor helped me out for 8 years. I would say that after 10 years you must be very successful. My measure of success? When your students come back to visit you year after year. Test scores don't measure your personal commitment to your kids, the kids themselves determine that.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:13 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
Lol, oh my yes! I'm just a bit touched in the head, my warped sense of humor helped me out for 8 years. I would say that after 10 years you must be very successful. My measure of success? When your students come back to visit you year after year. Test scores don't measure your personal commitment to your kids, the kids themselves determine that.
I'd also describe my sense of humor as "warped", and you're right, it helps, especially with middle school kids.

I consider myself successful because I've simply been able to keep at it- I know a lot of good people who simply could not do it.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:02 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,009,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
I'd also describe my sense of humor as "warped", and you're right, it helps, especially with middle school kids.

I consider myself successful because I've simply been able to keep at it- I know a lot of good people who simply could not do it.
Whoo! Ten years in inner-city middle school and still going?! (Bows down in admiration!) After Katrina, I just don't want to go back, (6th grade in elementary setting), my nerves won't take it.

I know what you mean about good people who can't do the job. I always felt sorry for those Teach America kids who would come from some small town chomping at the bit to get started and would leave at the end of the year exhausted and terrified over what their next assignment would be.

My take on it is this: If you find yourself with a ED student threatening to hit you over the head with a chunk of cement because you are trying to prevent him from, "killing James," with the same chunk of cement. And you find yourself scarcastically saying, "Good luck James, run!" right before you see your life flash before your eyes. You've got what it takes. (That, "good luck James," line had everyone laughing, including the police.)

Old 01-13-2008, 10:45 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
You are SO on-the-money, Drouzin. It takes a lot to work with those kids, but the rewards are almost immeasurable. In ten years of working with difficult, if not sometimes impossible kids, at the former JR HS level, I only recall one child that I felt we lost -- at 18, he robbed a pet store one day, and shot and killed the owner during the course of the robbery. Doesn't mean we reached all of the kids, I guess, but that one stands out especially.

To have a kid come back, even if just to visit, meant more to me than any administration handing out kudos and accolades, any day.

While having the support of a good administrator helps, I think you (as the teacher) can still reach those kids as long as the administrator stays out of your way. The ole, 'in spite of them,' approach. It still takes personality, and caring, and that whack-o sense of humor saves many a day, I agree. I used to tell the kids to take the fight out in the hallway, but laid the ground rules -- "No one survives." I explained I could handle calling the office to come remove bodies easier than I could having to explain why they were fighting.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:47 PM

603 posts, read 2,339,929 times
I teach LD special ed in a school that is considered to be inner city, although it is far from an inner city school in NYC. I would never want to work in a school with rich, privileged kids. There are plenty of people who want to do that. If that's where you want to teach, I say "go for it". This teaching job I have now is the best that I've ever had. I work with the most dedicated faculty and administration that I've ever had the opportunity to know. Former posters are right about moving around so much. I did that too for my first few years. My resume started looking better when I stayed in jobs longer.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 4,419 times
Thumbs up Flat Out Crazy

I don't think you are crazy. It may seem so at first because of your teaching background, but inner-city schools could use a teacher with your experience and more importantly, your attitude. A good percentage of student disciplinary problems comes from feeling that they are inept and everyone else around them, especially their teachers feel the same way.

I say go for it, but use common sense when you are interviewing. When you first step into the building be very observant. It may be less than ideally quite depending on what time of the day you are visiting (I'm sure you know the noise level in between periods), but not chaotic. Those first few minutes will give you an idea of who is actually running the school - students or administrators. Then after an overall assessment make your decision from there.

As I am sure you already know, a strong leader usually represents a strong school community. Give it some serious consideration. I plan to be a teacher myself. I graduate in May and I am hoping to become a New York City Teaching Fellow. Therefore, I do understand your dilemma.

Also, every school is not gang infested nor saturated with metal detectors. My oldest daughter is in high school and I have yet to see one and we live in Harlem.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:51 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
I'm still playing with this idea. My wife and I live in NJ. We are looking for homes near where I work now but am not sure where we are going to end up. If we can more somewhere close I will definitely continue to teach where I am, based on my own sanity and the advice of everyone on this thread. If we move too far away, I may actually to through with this.

Can any veteran teachers or administrators out there give me some ideas on how to best gauge whether an inner-city school is well run and the teachers have administrative support? I know I cannot simply show up at a school and start asking the teachers questions. Are there good ways to gauge it through a short observation?

Also, is anyone out there familiar with any of the Abbott Districts in NJ? My wife and I are looking at points south of Trenton, so Trenton would be included, as would Camden, Atlantic City (not Abbott but urban), Burlington City, Millville/Vineland, etc. Not sure if anyone has had any experience teaching in these schools but if you have, it would be interesting to hear experiences.

I deeply appreciate the advice that people here are sharing with me. Thank you for the advice, ideas and encouragement so far.

Mark

Old 04-07-2008, 07:11 PM

137 posts, read 1,004,936 times
Look at the teacher turnover rate. Is it a place where people want to work, or does 25% of the staff leave every year.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:59 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
What is the average absentee rate of the staff? If teachers are regularly taking several days off each year, there's likely to be a problem. Also -- when teachers are absent, does the Principal hire a sub, or are other teachers expected to cover classes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching