Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:06 PM

442 posts, read 1,077,145 times

Advertisements

Boundaries have to be taken seriously in education because of liability.

Teachers cross boundaries with students, they get fired. If the boundaries are sexual in nature, license revocation and even prison happens, the latter depending on the state.

It's up to the teacher to set those boundaries and make sure they are never crossed.

In my current district, inservice courses are required of all staff regarding staff-student relationships. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior these days, and I think we have an instance of mentally disturbed people who are being hired as teachers (but pass background checks because they haven't committed previous misconduct) when they have no business being in the classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 02:16 AM

609 posts, read 807,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some school systems (mine, for example) require teachers to set up their own class web page and engage the students on Edmodo. The creation of a class based Facebook page is encouraged but not required, as is the teacher giving his upper level students his cell phone number as well as his personal email to assist with any class questions which might come up out of school.

There have been situations where the teacher has refused to do the two latter things and been "counseled" by Administration after student (parent) complaints. My response was to point out he didn't have my cell or email so why should a student.

The student can already send emails through the school's system in any event.
Do they require communication outside of school hours/contract time?

Old 02-18-2015, 03:33 AM

45,284 posts, read 60,438,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
Do they require communication outside of school hours/contract time?
That's the whole point of the web page and Edmodo. It's not explicit but implied that the students and teachers will engage outside of the school day. In fact, several staff members are highlighted at most faculty meetings for their use of technology in communication.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:05 AM

469 posts, read 912,580 times
It's no more prevalent than when I was in school, just frequently reported. Circa 1975-81, we had several situations where teachers and students hooked up. Happened on a number of levels. Football coach, home economics teacher, shop all had known relationships with students. Our Photoshop teacher went on to marry a student.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:42 AM

1,791 posts, read 2,222,000 times
As a teacher, I'll say it time and time again. Stay the hell off of Facebook and Twitter.
I see teachers "friending" their students, trying to be the cool teacher, and I just shake my head.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:23 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,717,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Thus the screename, "OLDHAG". You sound a bit out of touch. Kids nowadays like to be more in tune with there teacher whether thru social media or whatever. Thats the world they know. They seem to be more motivated if they're teachers are more accessible. Just like they're favorite celebrities
The "like" word is the issue. The real world pays little attention to like. Operative words are have, need and must.

Teachers, parents, students and like are what have destroyed American education.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
As a teacher, I'll say it time and time again. Stay the hell off of Facebook and Twitter.
I see teachers "friending" their students, trying to be the cool teacher, and I just shake my head.
Teachers should not friend their current co-workers, either. It can very easily backfire.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:52 AM

1,791 posts, read 2,222,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysam View Post
Teachers should not friend their current co-workers, either. It can very easily backfire.
Agreed. I love my job and my coworkers but I've friended NONE of them. I've heard people talking about fellow teachers at staff meetings.
"Where's so-and-so?"
"She said she was going out of town this afternoon to the doctor's. Saw it on her Facebook page."
"Glad you saw it and told me. We were supposed to work on this project. She didn't call. What kind of doctor? Hope she's ok."
(other teacher overhearing) "Hey, what did you say was wrong with so-and-so?"

No one needs that much connection, especially on personal issues. Don't need the whole staff at a staff meeting talking about a pap smear appointment.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:03 AM

I am FB friends with a number of former coworkers, including principals, and that is perfectly okay.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:48 PM

609 posts, read 807,332 times
I think it's better to leave coworkers off Facebook. What if they post something scandalous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching