Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 04:35 AM

43 posts, read 72,983 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing well. I am working on a major essay for my college course. I was able to choose my own topic. The topic is listed below... Please give your opinions on it. I need as many different opinions as possible. and possibly links to help support those opinions would be really helpful! So here we go.

My research topic is all about American schools freedom of speech; more particular, religion. They say American offers "freedom of speech," but is this true within schools? Schools are forbidden to teach religion. However, schools continue to have religious clubs, choir classes with religious music, etc

Do you believe schools should be allowed to teach religion?

Do you believe it should be mandatory to learn? ^

Should religious after school clubs also be cancelled if religion cannot be taught?

How about choir? ^

Should schools offer a religion electives?

Does America really have freedom?

These are a few questions I came up with. But everything helps!

Old 02-24-2015, 05:03 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babypop07 View Post
Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing well. I am working on a major essay for my college course. I was able to choose my own topic. The topic is listed below... Please give your opinions on it. I need as many different opinions as possible. and possibly links to help support those opinions would be really helpful! So here we go.

My research topic is all about American schools freedom of speech; more particular, religion. They say American offers "freedom of speech," but is this true within schools? Schools are forbidden to teach religion. However, schools continue to have religious clubs, choir classes with religious music, etc

1. Do you believe schools should be allowed to teach religion?

2. Do you believe it should be mandatory to learn? ^

3. Should religious after school clubs also be cancelled if religion cannot be taught?

4. How about choir? ^

5. Should schools offer a religion electives?

6. Does America really have freedom?

1. NO

2. NO

3. NO

4. Songs are songs and not theological dogma

5. NO

6. YES, one is free to practice ANY religion they want, but not free to FORCE their religion upon others.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:18 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
1. Yes, as long as they don't focus on any one religion. Here is what I copied from the 5th grade Program of Studies for my district. SS.G5 FCPS Program of Studies It includes, for example:

Benchmark 3.d
Describe the Origin and Basic Beliefs of Judaism
Indicator 3.d.1
Describe the origin and basic beliefs of Judaism

Benchmark 4.b
Describe the Origin and Basic Beliefs of Hinduism
Indicator 4.b.1
Describe the origin and basic beliefs of Hinduism

Benchmark 4.c
Describe the Origin and Basic Beliefs of Buddhism
Indicator 4.c.1
Describe the origin and basic beliefs of Buddhism

Benchmark 4.d
Describe the Origin and Basic Beliefs of Sikhism
Indicator 4.d.1
Describe the origin and basic beliefs of Sikhism

Benchmark 5.b
Analyze the Origin and Basic Beliefs of Confucianism
Indicator 5.b.1
Analyze the origin and basic beliefs of Confucianism

Benchmark 8.d
Describe the Origin and Basic Beliefs of Christianity
Indicator 8.d.1
Describe the origin and basic beliefs of Christianity

2. Yes, if it is part of the curriculum/program of studies.

3. No.

4. No. Choir is choir. Not sure what it has to do with religion.

5. Possibly. I'd have to know more about the purpose of the course.

6. Yes

Old 02-24-2015, 05:21 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Here are standards from a high school course. "World History and Geography to 1500". I copied and pasted some of the standards from the VDOE website.

In part:

c) explaining the development of religious traditions;
d) describing the origins, beliefs, traditions, customs, and spread of Judaism;

c) describing the origins, beliefs, traditions, customs, and spread of Hinduism;
d) describing the origins, beliefs, traditions, customs, and spread of Buddhism;
f) describing the impact of Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism.
b) describing Greek mythology and religion;

b) describing Roman mythology and religion;

h) describing the origin, beliefs, traditions, customs, and spread of Christianity;
i) explaining the development and significance of the Church in the late Roman Empire;

d) explaining disputes that led to the split between the Roman Catholic Church and the Greek Orthodox Church;

c) describing Japan, with emphasis on the impact of Shinto and Buddhist traditions and the influence of Chinese culture;

Old 02-24-2015, 05:45 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babypop07 View Post

Do you believe schools should be allowed to teach religion?

Do you believe it should be mandatory to learn? ^

Should religious after school clubs also be cancelled if religion cannot be taught?

How about choir? ^

Should schools offer a religion electives?

Does America really have freedom?

Um... you do know that you don't have freedom of speech in the workplace, right?

When my work-phone rings, I can't pick it up and start proselytizing - and this seems like a freedom of speech issue to you? Tell me, how would any business function if an employee refused to do their job and just talked, and then claimed that the First Amendment protected them?

No, teaching religion in public schools is not permitted, for that would be '[respecting] an establishment of religion'. Teaching of religion is permitted, though in any depth that tends to devolve into a dispute between myriad sects who all want more focus on their variation. And given how there never seems to be enough time for instruction of the really important topics (English, mathematics, history, etc.) it seems that getting overly granular in looking at religion is little less than a waste of limited time.

In 1995, the Clinton Administration issued a concise yet detailed memorandum spelling out all rights of and limits upon religion in the public school system.

Quote:
Teaching about religion: Public schools may not provide religious instruction, but they may teach about religion, including the Bible or other scripture: the history of religion, comparative religion, the Bible (or other scripture)-as-literature, and the role of religion in the history of the United States and other countries all are permissible public school subjects. Similarly, it is permissible to consider religious influences on art, music, literature and social-studies. Although public schools may teach about religious holidays, including their religious aspects and may celebrate the secular aspects of holidays, schools may not observe holidays as religious events or promote such observance by students.
http://whitel.people.cofc.edu/ClintonSchoolReligion.htm?referrer=webcluster&

Old 02-24-2015, 06:28 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
This thread has been closed. Not only was it cross posted across three forums, it's homework help. We don't allow that on the education forums.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching