Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 01:01 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times

Advertisements

I recently had a two day assignment in a second grade classroom.

In my five years of subbing she has been the only teacher who indicated in her lesson plans that I needed to correct all of the homework that comes in each morning, put the grades in her grade book and that the corrected homework had to be sent home the same day that it was sent to school.

I had subbed in her room earlier in the year and she requested that, in addition, to correcting the homework, I needed to correct and grade the spelling test, put those grades in her grade book so that the tests were sent home the same day. Her only qualification, was that if it was too hard to read a child's handwriting I should hold on to that specific test and let her grade it.

I always correct all of the math assignments during the day but those are not recorded in the grade book or sent home. Occasionally, I am asked to grade other assignments or tests if I have time .

Is this common for a teacher to have the sub teacher grade things, put the grades in the grade book and absolutely, positively get the corrected papers sent home the same day?

Since, I had recess duty both days and other work to prepare for her during my brief preparation period (worksheets to run off, materials to prepare for lessons), I needed to do this while eating my lunch.

It seemed sort of unfair for her to give me work to do that could only be completed while I was on my "30 minute" (actually less) "duty free" lunch and bathroom break? Or I am missing something?

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-07-2015 at 01:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 03:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I've corrected papers and graded tests but never put in the teacher's gradebook.
I would think the teacher would want to look over what you've done and put the grades in him/her self.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:24 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
No. I have never expected a substitute to check student work.

We don't grade homework and my grade book is on the school's server, but still grading isn't something I'd expect.

As the teacher I never get work checked, recorded and sent home the same day.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:51 PM

609 posts, read 807,925 times
The teacher sounds like a type A buzzard. I would open up AESOP and put a huge X next to her name. Never sub in that room again!

Old 03-07-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
The teacher sounds like a type A buzzard. I would open up AESOP and put a huge X next to her name. Never sub in that room again!
Thanks for the tip.

When I taught full time I knew that you could ban sub teachers from your room but I did not realize that as a sub I can "ban" teaching assignments.

And, I did not even mention in my original post that this teacher asked for detailed notes about how each activity went throughout the day.

In addition, she made a huge, big deal on her lesson plans that the room must be left "neat, clean and in perfect shape" at the end of each day (and commented that it had been a problem with some sub. teachers). Since she packs so much in her schedule during the day, and having no time to spare (because of recess duty, and responsibilities during the short prep time plus during my lunch/bathroom break) I ended up staying a full hour after teacher dismissal time both nights writing notes to her, and organizing and straightening up the classroom (as I did not want her giving me a bad report).

Sheesh! They don't pay subs enough to do all of that extra work!

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-07-2015 at 07:41 PM..

Old 03-08-2015, 01:23 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Put her on your "only if I can't pay my bills without this day of work, and maybe not even then" list. As far as putting grades in the grade book.... There is a quite legitimate case to the argument that a limited sub having access to the grade book would likely be a violation of FERPA laws.

Old 03-08-2015, 10:22 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Our gradebook is electronic (GradeSpeed), so I would have to give my login, HUGE no no!

All I ask a sub to do is to check off when a student turns in work (just as I do). I hope the room is left neat, it is the rare occasion when it is not.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Put her on your "only if I can't pay my bills without this day of work, and maybe not even then" list. As far as putting grades in the grade book.... There is a quite legitimate case to the argument that a limited sub having access to the grade book would likely be a violation of FERPA laws.
Frankly, I was a little surprised by that, too.

It was hard for me to find the section to put the spelling grades (the last time that I subbed) so I needed to look through the entire grade book to find the right section. All of the social studies, science, math, etc. grades on tests and assignments were listed for every child.

This building has several people who are frequent substitutes who live in the neighborhood and their children attend the school. No one else seems concerned about it but it seems like they have access to a lot of personal and private information about their neighbor's children through subbing. As substitutes, they all eat their lunch in the teacher's lounge and while most people are pretty careful about confidentiality it still seems somewhat inappropriate.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:19 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

This building has several people who are frequent substitutes who live in the neighborhood and their children attend the school. No one else seems concerned about it but it seems like they have access to a lot of personal and private information about their neighbor's children through subbing. As substitutes, they all eat their lunch in the teacher's lounge and while most people are pretty careful about confidentiality it still seems somewhat inappropriate.
We have many parents who sub. They often eat in the staff lounge. I don't see that as unusual, but you definitely have to be aware of what is said and who is around when you say it.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
I hope the room is left neat, it is the rare occasion when it is not.
Just one more gripe. (I probably need a vacation).

I always leave the classrooms neat after I sub., but this teacher has asked subs to wash all the tables & student desks if they do a project that makes a mess (and the students don't do a good enough job cleaning themselves).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching