Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 01:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,923,967 times

Advertisements

I can't think of a single teacher I've had that divulged the slightest details of their personal lives. Even those teachers that had a child that came to school on the odd occasion... none of us ever knew... or cared... how that child came to be in the world... we assumed... they were products of a heterosexual union, same as us. But we never knew. We never knew the spouses of our teachers, not their names, nor any other detail. Ever. Is that such a terrible thing, if, as a gay person, your students thought that your child was the product of an opposite sex relationship? Assuming that that information becomes public. I mean... kids have decades in which to figure this stuff out. Do they really have to have it brought to them in the elementary grades? Straight teachers lose their jobs every day because they cross lines of appropriate sharing with students. A a gay teacher do you really want to go there? Yes!!! And that, my friends is the crux of the matter.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-23-2015 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: Removed off topic talk

Old 03-23-2015, 01:20 AM

490 posts, read 659,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's not necessary. It's not necessary to even give that information, if you choose not to. There's nothing wrong with choosing to, and I've never felt the need to keep that or select other information under wraps. But it's not at all necessary for students to KNOW I'm married, my spouse's name, any kudz, their names, etc. I might choose to share it...but it's not necessary.

I haven't said or implied once that he doesn't have the right, from my first post on the second page of the thread on. I have stated, and will continue to state, that every choice you make may have a variety of consequences that you may not intend. That doesn't, however, mean the choice isn't yours to make, in most situations.
And he should take your warning with a grain of salt.
And he should take my encouragement with a grain of salt.
glad we agree

Old 03-23-2015, 01:31 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM90046 View Post
And he should take your warning with a grain of salt.
And he should take my encouragement with a grain of salt.
glad we agree
If your years of experience teaching have taught you that what you choose to say or do in the classroom does not ever result in an unintended consequence of any kind, great! Perhaps the OP will have the same, rare, experience.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:34 AM

490 posts, read 659,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If your years of experience teaching have taught you that what you choose to say or do in the classroom does not ever result in an unintended consequence of any kind, great! Perhaps the OP will have the same, rare, experience.
If you think the world will become a better place by doing the same thing as everybody else, great!
Hopefully the OP realizes, this is not the case.

Old 03-23-2015, 01:46 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Closed until the Education forum moderator gets a chance to moderate the thread.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:05 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
Thank you Oldhag, for calling this thread to my attention and closing it. Since the topic has veered off of the subject of teaching and into a controversial subject, I'm going to keep it closed. It looks like everyone got their 4 cents in anyway.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.