Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 11:14 AM

67 posts, read 96,654 times

Advertisements

I teach a number of one or two session adult education classes for a local school district. These are fun evening classes in art, travel music and communication skills. My students seem to like me and the classes I teach and it is a fun way to earn some extra money. I am not a professional teacher, trainer, or educator, but I do OK.

At the end of the class I am required to hand out a survey where the students evaluate my teaching skills and the class content. Usually they like me but I do have critics! One of the main complaints about me is I don't remember their names. Yes, I do ask for everyone's name at the start of the class but with 15-20 students in a one or two session class it seems like an impossible task to remember everyone's name, so I find it an interesting criticism.

No, I am not going to put a name tag on everyone because their name is not that important in a short one or two session class, in my opinion.

What do you think? Should I remember everyone's name by the end of a one session class if they introduced themselves at the start of the class? (In a 15-20 student class) Would you be insulted if I did not remember your name in a one or two session class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 11:38 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,812,682 times
Welcome back again!!!

Old 03-26-2015, 12:44 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
I also teach adult education classes(ESL) and sometimes they are one session drop-ins. I don't use tags, but I do ask everyone to put their name on a folded construction paper card.

My excuse is so that other students can more easily address each other during discussions.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Most people will not remember everyone in a room's name for a one- or two-session program when 15-20 people are involved. It's different than not learning a classroom full of names when you have them for an entire semester or year.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:29 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,555,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Education View Post
No, I am not going to put a name tag on everyone because their name is not that important in a short one or two session class, in my opinion.

Why not? I go to plenty of meetings, classes, etc., that are one (or more) sessions, and we wear a name tag. The tag is not only for you, but for the other students.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:46 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
No, it takes me at least 3 or 4 classes to remember names. I don't think the problem is not remembering their names - I think it must be however you are handling that. It's an unusual complaint. How do you refer to them when you don't know their name? What do you say? I think the problem is there, not the lack of knowing names by itself.

I don't think it's silly to do name tags - I would do a piece of paper folded in half on the desk. I've had teachers do that before, and I didn't mind it. Easy to do, and people wouldn't criticize you for forgetting names anymore.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
No, it takes me at least 3 or 4 classes to remember names. I don't think the problem is not remembering their names - I think it must be however you are handling that. It's an unusual complaint. How do you refer to them when you don't know their name? What do you say? I think the problem is there, not the lack of knowing names by itself.

I don't think it's silly to do name tags - I would do a piece of paper folded in half on the desk. I've had teachers do that before, and I didn't mind it. Easy to do, and people wouldn't criticize you for forgetting names anymore.
I call them sir or ma'am while pointing at them if they raise their hand.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:02 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,026 times
When you first meet a student, repeat their name out loud. Mentally assign some way to remember them. ("Evan has the thick plastic eyeglass frames.")

Old 03-28-2015, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
When you first meet a student, repeat their name out loud. Mentally assign some way to remember them. ("Evan has the thick plastic eyeglass frames.")
Remember, most of these classes are fun courses and just one session. I am afraid that if I put that level of effort into remembering all 15 student's names, I would not be able to get in the right mental state to make the actual class successful. While these are leisure classes, I don't think the students know how much work goes into making it a success.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:33 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Education View Post
Remember, most of these classes are fun courses and just one session. I am afraid that if I put that level of effort into remembering all 15 student's names, I would not be able to get in the right mental state to make the actual class successful. While these are leisure classes, I don't think the students know how much work goes into making it a success.
Well, it is true it is a lot of work, but I don't see why you won't do the obvious - a name tag or name card. Even if it isn't for you, other students would be happy with it ( personally, I would hate to call a student sir or m'am).

I'm a trained adult educator. I know you aren't, but at a minimum, remember the six principles of adult education. #6 - They like to be respected. In that principle, it means they like to be respected as a colleague, rather than a student - teacher relationship. I don't call my colleagues m'am or student. My students call me by first name.

They've told you it bothers them. Listen! It doesn't matter in your opinion, but adult education is student directed in many ways, why don't you respect their opinion?

This is an easy-to-fix issue.

Last edited by aliss2; 03-28-2015 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching