Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

The majority of my work is in Special Ed, and within that frame of observation, I find standardized testing to generally be a waste of time, as far as producing meaningful results. These are students whose education is highly individualized; they don't receive a standardized education, but rather progress by meeting individually developed benchmarks relevant to their needs. Standardized assessments don't fit that model at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 04:53 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
My thoughts? Poorly executed necessary evil. We need some way to measure student progress but the tests we use are poorly written. They don't really test what a child should have learned in the past year.

Personally, I think we need exit exams for every grade/subject in school and if students don't pass the test they don't pass the grade/subject. We need to stop just pushing kids forward who lack the skills to go on.
I agree with this and I would support exit exams for each grade level/subject.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Default your thoughts on standardized testing

Standardized testing certainly has its place and it needs to be returned to it.

The silly high stakes attached to it becomes the problem. Using test results as the only measure of performance for students, teachers, campuses and districts is beyond stupid. Education is supposed to be anti-stupid. Micromanaging political policies = very stupid.

Is there anyone who cares to argue that public education has improved over the past dozen years or so?

Old 05-20-2015, 05:18 PM

12,846 posts, read 9,050,725 times
No. They are not only unnecessary, but a negative. Too much time spent on the tests and test prep rather than teaching and learning.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:10 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
You folks are thinking way too small.

These tests are big money for corporations and hence, their frontmen, the politicians.

It is all about the money. Any and every school district can justify, some well, why scores are poor, there is always a reason.

But, with every test, someones pocket gets some coin, and all likelihood, someone else's pocket gets lined.

Nothing to do with education or assessment, it is just money!

Old 05-21-2015, 04:14 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
Sad but true. It's a consequence of society's embracing of the idiocy that schools should be run like businesses.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:18 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
We moved our kids to private school to take them out of the high stakes public school world. Even if you opt out of testing the public schools still spend an inordinate amount of time preparing for standardized tests.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:56 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
We moved our kids to private school to take them out of the high stakes public school world. Even if you opt out of testing the public schools still spend an inordinate amount of time preparing for standardized tests.
Which is, the bigger problem. If we just gave a test once a year it wouldn't be that big of a deal but what it have evolved into is us teaching testing, not subjects.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:10 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,145 times
Mostly a waste of time. Just use SAT's when a student is a junior and leave it at that. It's the only standardized test that really matters and is the same throughout the country.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:52 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
I think that the original intention of standardized testing was fine and it somewhat worked because the economy was good enough for students who couldn't learn in school to go take a factory job.

Then the economy fell apart and a large segment of students who weren't previously tested started being tested, and that led to a huge gap of academic haves vs. have nots.

Then the tests started getting politically correct and questions were revised. The results now can't be compared to past decades, and I'm not sure that the data is truly meaningful at all. I see students from "good" school systems with serious problems in reading comprehension and even reading at the 11th grade level when they are in the 2nd year in a 4-year college.

At this point, I think that all mandatory standardized testing should be dropped. Make testing optional for college-bound students only in grades 10, 11, and 12.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching