Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 02:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
If an engineer is given substandard materials and parts to work with does anything different happen?

Luckily, I have not had this happen anywhere I have taught nor anywhere where my kids or grandkids have gone to school.
For those that worked with hardware and a quality problem was found it was called "pressing the red button".

It was an adage from the days of the manufacturing line. Any employee could press the red button if they saw a problem. That, in effect, stopped the production line.

As a software engineer, a glaring problem in a design doc written by someone else would be reason to "press the red button" which, in effect, stops development until it can be looked into and corrected.

And yes, I have pressed that red button over my career. For me though it was walking into my manager's office and verbally saying "I'm pressing the red button" as I was a software engineer.

And it's all usually documented. So if mgmt tells you to continue regardless then you are not held responsible.

The GM tale of the faulty ignition switches is a current example as they used the paper trail to trace back the issues logged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 09:54 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
If an engineer is given substandard materials and parts to work with does anything different happen?

What if you are Allan McDonald or Roger Boisjoly on the morning of 28 January, 1986?

What if your boss does tell you to use substandard material to save costs?

What if you boss tells you to "take another look" at test data that doesn't match political desires?

Scientists and engineers are not shielded from politics. They are right front and center on worldwide TV. When they get the math wrong, billions of dollars are at stake. And people die.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:53 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
I'm not sure what the point of this thread is? It almost seems like an elitist jab at teachers from those in engineering?

I'm a mechanical engineer and my G/F is a teacher. Never have I ever thought her profession was substandard to mine due to reasons listed in this thread. She works hard, and I see it and it's just funny to see generalizations made about teachers that, unfortunately, I used to believe as well until seeing in person for myself what occurs.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:44 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm not sure what the point of this thread is? It almost seems like an elitist jab at teachers from those in engineering?

I'm a mechanical engineer and my G/F is a teacher. Never have I ever thought her profession was substandard to mine due to reasons listed in this thread. She works hard, and I see it and it's just funny to see generalizations made about teachers that, unfortunately, I used to believe as well until seeing in person for myself what occurs.
Unfortunately most people haven't seen what teachers really do. They actually believe we're too stupid to get "real" jobs, that we work part time and we're over paid.

I'm a former engineer and what I miss most about being an engineer is the assumptions people made about me. They assumed I was intelligent, that I would get the job done, that I earned my wages and they respected me. I miss the respect more than I miss the wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching