Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:45 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_Fermi View Post
Records show southern states being mist backwards in regard to equal rights and hate crimes. I'm sure many good southern school systems still exist though. I just get tired of all the anti-evolution and abstinence only sex education
Not so fast on the hate crimes my friend: FBI 2011 Hate Crime Statistics - Business Insider

The 10 states with the most hate crimes per capita are:

Washington, D.C., with 13.4 incidents per 100,000 people.
Massachusetts, with 5.77 incidents.
New Jersey, with 5.76.
Oregon, with 5.25.
Kentucky, with 4.33.
Maine, with 4.14.
North Dakota, with 4.05.
Connecticut, with 3.91.
Colorado, with 3.73.
Minnesota, with 3.71.

Please note that only one of the top 10 rate of hate crimes per capita occurred in a southern state.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:58 AM

93 posts, read 99,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Um, this is not true AT ALL.

"The South" includes several states, and all requirements are different. Just the county in my state requires subs to either hold a teaching license, have completed at least 90 hours in a teacher prep program, be enrolled in a Master's in Education program or be a previous county employee who left in good standing.

The requirements for the district I live in:
-High school diploma
-18 or older
-Background check
-Attend a 3-hour training in August

This is in Texas by the way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 03:30 AM

395 posts, read 374,529 times
I have a lot of friends in Texas and would enjoy living in certain areas, but it is a completely backwards state.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:04 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debragga View Post
-High school diploma
-18 or older
-Background check

Wow, just wow.

Although, in Wisconsin you can get a sub license with just a college degree and a special request from a school district in most districts all the sub teachers are either licensed teachers or at least graduated with a four year degree in education.

In the districts where I sub you are expected to be able to actually teach the subject. Whether it is leading a discussion on chapter five of To Kill a Mockingbird or to do every subject in grade one or grade five, you must actually teach. It is truly hard to believe that a typical 18 year old high school graduate could even be an effective "warm body" in a classroom. Just the classroom management alone is a challenge for many adults.

I'm a retired teacher and consider myself quite knowledgeable on a wide variety of subjects but even I don't accept certain jobs, such as HS math, because you are fully expected to teach that subject and my trigonometry and calculus is pretty rusty.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Although, it is pretty rare, a few subs are needed right away. I once subbed the first two days of school because the teacher was in a bike accident the day before school started.

In general, subbing gets busier each week during the first month of school. In my area, it takes about six weeks before subs are common & regular in each building (due to illness & meetings).
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Wow, just wow.

Although, in Wisconsin you can get a sub license with just a college degree and a special request from a school district in most districts all the sub teachers are either licensed teachers or at least graduated with a four year degree in education.

In the districts where I sub you are expected to be able to actually teach the subject. Whether it is leading a discussion on chapter five of To Kill a Mockingbird or to do every subject in grade one or grade five, you must actually teach. It is truly hard to believe that a typical 18 year old high school graduate could even be an effective "warm body" in a classroom. Just the classroom management alone is a challenge for many adults.

I'm a retired teacher and consider myself quite knowledgeable on a wide variety of subjects but even I don't accept certain jobs, such as HS math, because you are fully expected to teach that subject and my trigonometry and calculus is pretty rusty.

Since I started subbing after retirement I have begun the year subbing for vacancies, including ones waiting for background checks. That was common in the last teacher shortage but has been rare the last couple of years. This area has always struggled to find enough teachers, despite the teacher glut elsewhere, because of the low unemployment and high cost-of-living. I imagine other parts of the country will start needing more long-term subs to start the year in the near future. However, they almost always TRY to get actual certified teachers, preferably retired ones, for those spots for just the reason you were giving, along with having to come up with you own plans.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:03 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
Quote:
-High school diploma
-18 or older
-Background check

My district requires a degree, plus all of the above to sub for certified. HS diploma for para positions (paras themselves need 60 hours of college)

Old 07-24-2015, 01:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Not so fast on the hate crimes my friend: FBI 2011 Hate Crime Statistics - Business Insider

The 10 states with the most hate crimes per capita are:

Washington, D.C., with 13.4 incidents per 100,000 people.
Massachusetts, with 5.77 incidents.
New Jersey, with 5.76.
Oregon, with 5.25.
Kentucky, with 4.33.
Maine, with 4.14.
North Dakota, with 4.05.
Connecticut, with 3.91.
Colorado, with 3.73.
Minnesota, with 3.71.

Please note that only one of the top 10 rate of hate crimes per capita occurred in a southern state.
That could be because the southern states don't report the crimes as hate crimes. The fact is that there are plenty of racially motivated hate crimes in the south that are not reported or prosecuted as such.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
-High school diploma
-18 or older
-Background check

But you try applying for a sub in cities like Austin/DFW/Houston, etc and you'll see the sub rolls are full of certified teachers.

I'm in Texas too. Certified teachers who sub make more money then uncertified subs.
And most of the subs are retired teachers themselves.

I'm rural and have worked in several school districts. It's not very common to see 18 year old HS graduates subbing. That is the min requirement but is not the norm in schools.

What I see are retired teachers and retired professionals doing sub work.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
That could be because the southern states don't report the crimes as hate crimes. The fact is that there are plenty of racially motivated hate crimes in the south that are not reported or prosecuted as such.
I don't want to hijack the thread, but as a minority who has lived in various location in the nation, I have been treated with much more respect in the "hateful South" than I was in California, which frankly was one of the few places I was treated like a pariah, Ohio, or Obama's home state of Illinois. As a minority teacher, it has been easier for me to get a job too. In the South I got hired out of interviews and in those allegedly more enlighten states I only got jobs after subbing and proving my worth. Sure it might not have been my race, but as the person living and breathing the experience, it sure had that vibe. In the South the bigots are out in the open, elsewhere they still exist, but they like to pretend like they aren't so they are harder to identify, but they are there. I'd rather they be out in the open. Just saying.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:34 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread, but as a minority who has lived in various location in the nation, I have been treated with much more respect in the "hateful South" than I was in California, which frankly was one of the few places I was treated like a pariah, Ohio, or Obama's home state of Illinois. As a minority teacher, it has been easier for me to get a job too. In the South I got hired out of interviews and in those allegedly more enlighten states I only got jobs after subbing and proving my worth. Sure it might not have been my race, but as the person living and breathing the experience, it sure had that vibe. In the South the bigots are out in the open, elsewhere they still exist, but they like to pretend like they aren't so they are harder to identify, but they are there. I'd rather they be out in the open. Just saying.
I have only lived in two places in the south. My ex-dil had never had discrimination (she is Hindu, east Indian) until we lived in Louisiana and we think they thought she was hispanic. Here in Houston, there is definitely discrimination, but more religious than racial for us. My granddaughter was proselytized from the time she was 5 (at the school bus stop, no less). Several of the neighbor girls have complained about being told they are going to hell for not praying the correct way (they are in jr. high). One is hispanic, the other is East Indian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching