Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 06:09 PM

809 posts, read 1,327,390 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any suggestions? My daughter taught special ed for 4 years (usually about 7 or 8 students)- she has been sick every Labor Day weekend with a virus- cold, sore throat, etc. This year she moved to a regular 2nd grade classroom- 26 students. She knows she attracts every germ known to mankind. Before school started we cleaned the classroom from top to bottom to disinfect. She has the students clean desks and chairs everyday at the end of the day with antibacteria soap and water (her second grade teacher did this to avoid germs many years ago).
She made it 3 days and BINGO- she got a sore throat last night. Luckily she got lots of sleep last night- fluids, gargled with salt water. She made it through the day, but it is getting worse.

Any one have this happen every year? Any suggestions? She is one step from being OCD about germs. Doesn't want to make it more obvious- one little girl asked her today why she washes her hands so many times throughout the day!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 06:51 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,466,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Anyone have any suggestions? My daughter taught special ed for 4 years (usually about 7 or 8 students)- she has been sick every Labor Day weekend with a virus- cold, sore throat, etc. This year she moved to a regular 2nd grade classroom- 26 students. She knows she attracts every germ known to mankind. Before school started we cleaned the classroom from top to bottom to disinfect. She has the students clean desks and chairs everyday at the end of the day with antibacteria soap and water (her second grade teacher did this to avoid germs many years ago).
She made it 3 days and BINGO- she got a sore throat last night. Luckily she got lots of sleep last night- fluids, gargled with salt water. She made it through the day, but it is getting worse.

Any one have this happen every year? Any suggestions? She is one step from being OCD about germs. Doesn't want to make it more obvious- one little girl asked her today why she washes her hands so many times throughout the day!!!!
She works with kids. She's going to get sick sooner or later. There is only so much she can do. I would recommend she get a flu shot, take her vitamins and make sure she gets plenty of rest so she can fight off what she's exposed to.

I would not recommend using anti bacterial soaps. They kill the weaker germs and leave the stronger ones to breed so that when you do get sick you get the worst of them. Using anti bacterial soaps is a good way to get REALLY sick when you do get sick.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:01 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,593,444 times
I'm a music teacher, we do lots of circle games with hand holding, partner games, etc... Every time I touch a student's hand, I use hand sanitizer. Even doing that, I caught strep this year. She shouldn't just have students wash the desks, the door knobs and light switches need it everyday too.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:10 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,360,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post

It's called "Occupational Hazards" when dealing with large groups..As a Now retired HC provider Nurse..I constantly exposed to coughing, sneezing amongst so many pathogenic people..and worried about bringing something home to my kids. I used things like Vitamin C and other natural remedies to boost immune system..then promoted hand washing..NOT sharing cups/toothbrushes/ personal hygiene items etc...Use of proper mouth cover techniques...to avoid spreading droplet transfer of germs/virus..Man the list goes on!!

Any profession that deals with the public like public sector employee's don't need to be paranoid..But use common sense...IF it's a problem..then one must re-evalute their decision of being in such a profession!

On the bright side..people in professions like HC and Teaching..are actually at benefit..as we get.got exposures and are able to build resistance to many things regular folks don't get..So I have to confess..I built up a fantastic immune response to most things..In fact..If run down due to workplace stressors..loss of sleep etc..I would end up catching something from my own kids ( who caught it at school) ..So hey..It's part and parcel of that profession..

Could be while working you are vigilant and careful..once home..you relax that and guess what?....Voila..you get what is brought home by your own family!!

I caught Chicken Pox from my child ( never had it as a child/no immunization back then) ..so Suffered ..I didn't get it at work..So really..OP worried? I say relax..Sars/Colds/Contagious Disease is everywhere..and one cannot inoculate themselves against everything..Deep Breath..Trust instructions and yes protect oneself..but allow yourself to feel confident your "Immune System" will assist!

Immune Compromised Folks..Completely different scenario..Thus discussion surrounding immunizations of children..That's another thread!!

Old 08-27-2015, 08:27 PM

809 posts, read 1,327,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
She works with kids. She's going to get sick sooner or later. There is only so much she can do. I would recommend she get a flu shot, take her vitamins and make sure she gets plenty of rest so she can fight off what she's exposed to.

I would not recommend using anti bacterial soaps. They kill the weaker germs and leave the stronger ones to breed so that when you do get sick you get the worst of them. Using anti bacterial soaps is a good way to get REALLY sick when you do get sick.
I'm going to tell her about the antibacterial soap. Maybe she can just use regular soap.

Thanks for all the suggestions. She does most of what everyone suggested. Vitamins, eats healthy, wipes the doorknobs, light switches.

Luckily, she doesn't have children yet, so she doesn't have to worry too much about catching anything from other family members. Hubby goes to work before she gets home, so they aren't passing germs.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
I taught preschool, and also taught special ed for years.

Basically, there was one reliable method of not basically continually harboring some pesky nuisance-level illness or another: leaving the profession.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:21 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I taught preschool, and also taught special ed for years.

Basically, there was one reliable method of not basically continually harboring some pesky nuisance-level illness or another: leaving the profession.
Yep.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:43 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,361,746 times
You build up a tolerance eventually. Now I rarely get sick. It's a good thing to just get it over with before she has her own kids, as you have to use your sick days for your kids after you have them.

Now I can have a kid sneeze directly in my face and not get sick!

Old 08-28-2015, 01:22 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,935,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
You build up a tolerance eventually. Now I rarely get sick. It's a good thing to just get it over with before she has her own kids, as you have to use your sick days for your kids after you have them.

Now I can have a kid sneeze directly in my face and not get sick!
THERE is the key! IMO, she has gone through life being a little obsessive about germs, and therefore has allowed her immune system to get lazy. She needs to build up her immunity so her body can fight off the onslaught of all those germs and viruses that children naturally harbor. Let's face it, children are filthy little germ-ridden creatures! I raised five of them, I know! they are also more than a little mean, but that is another topic.
Instead of soliciting advice from strangers on the internet, she needs to talk to her doctor about ways to build her immunity!
I wish her luck.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:27 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,410,624 times
You can't live in a bubble, exposure happens no matter what you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching