Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2015, 04:00 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times

Advertisements

I am currently licensed to teach in Missouri under a temporary certification as part of an alternative certification program. As part of this certification, I took some classes at a university. I've finished my classes, but I have to wait until the end of this school year to upgrade my temp license to an initial professional license due to state requirements.

However, I want to move to Minnesota for next school year. The only issue I'm having is that my initial professional license won't be issued in Missouri until June. Minnesota needs this MO license to give me a license in MN. I could wait until late May for my initial license in MO to be issued, then apply for a MN license. However, I've heard that most districts like to see licensing in hand before being hired, or even interviewed. However, I'm assuming that new college grads don't get their certification from the state until the summer?

Would it be best to stick it out here another year, or just go ahead and start applying for jobs in MN in the spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 09:10 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
What subject/grade level? It matters.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
What subject/grade level? It matters.
I am certified in French and German K-12.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:24 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I am certified in French and German K-12.
If you were elementary I would definitely recommend waiting a year. Yours is a hard call. I would call the district that posted the vacancy letting them know the situation because it will depend on their prior experiences, particularly how long it took to replace the last foreign language teacher. The fact that you have two languages will make you more competitive than someone with just one.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
If you were elementary I would definitely recommend waiting a year. Yours is a hard call. I would call the district that posted the vacancy letting them know the situation because it will depend on their prior experiences, particularly how long it took to replace the last foreign language teacher. The fact that you have two languages will make you more competitive than someone with just one.
I think that's what I am going to do. Tell them the situation before even applying. If they okay it, I will apply.

My current district hired me without any kind of certification, but they knew I was going to get the temporary certificate.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:48 AM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
When you say next school year, do you mean 2016? I've also been looking into another out of state license. For this particular state, the website states that you can apply for jobs, as long as you have started the application process, even if you don't have the state certification yet.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
When you say next school year, do you mean 2016? I've also been looking into another out of state license. For this particular state, the website states that you can apply for jobs, as long as you have started the application process, even if you don't have the state certification yet.
Yes, 2016-2017 school year. I figure it's better to go ahead and start thinking about this stuff now than in April/May.

I suppose I could start the license process for MN in April, go ahead and send in transcripts, fingerprints, etc. Then send in the license when it's upgraded in MO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching