Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 09:34 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,026 times

Advertisements

Never gave grades for those, but did give a few extra homework points as additional incentive. The office would generally track them down eventually if they weren't turned in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 01:03 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,612,344 times
I asked this question originally because there was conflicting answers here.

Of course it involves my child...lol My son is in 7th grade and received a zero on a parent signature paper because he turned it in on the third day of school instead of the second day. That teacher says it is teacher discretion as to whether or not they use it as a grade. My older daughter, who teaches in the same district, says they are not allowed to grade parent signature papers.

I can't take it any further without causing a major uproar and I am fairly certain that would bias the teacher against my son. So, now we have to see what the future holds.

Thanks to those who did reply.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
I asked this question originally because there was conflicting answers here.

Of course it involves my child...lol My son is in 7th grade and received a zero on a parent signature paper because he turned it in on the third day of school instead of the second day. That teacher says it is teacher discretion as to whether or not they use it as a grade. My older daughter, who teaches in the same district, says they are not allowed to grade parent signature papers.

I can't take it any further without causing a major uproar and I am fairly certain that would bias the teacher against my son. So, now we have to see what the future holds.

Thanks to those who did reply.
Was the form something that had a time deadline? For example, was it a computer compliance sheet and the students were scheduled to use computers on the second day of school (so your child missed work time) or was it a science/chemical safety/procedures compliance sheet and your child missed a lesson because you had not signed? Or something like that?

In my district it is up to the teacher, most will just give a plus, or extra credit or a small treat or something if the paperwork is in on time.

But, in some schools, in my district, the teacher will get into big trouble with the principal if all of the forms are not collected by the teacher and turned into the office by a certain date (usually the morning of the fourth or fifth day of classes). When you have 25 or 30 elementary students and about ten forms for each child (some with both the child's signature and the parent's signature) that can be a lot of paperwork to keep straight.

Obviously, I don't know your specific situation but you would be absolutely shocked at forms that parents "forget to turn in". I once had a student start to throw up and run a high fever on the first day of school so the office tried to reach the parents. It turned out that the parents changed their phone number (or it was disconnected) AND dad was not working at the job that was listed from last year AND the grandparents had changed their phone number (or it was disconnected) AND the emergency contact had moved away. So we could not reach anyone. When the parent finally came to pick their child up at the end of the day they couldn't understand why the principal was angry with them.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:50 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Obviously, I don't know your specific situation but you would be absolutely shocked at forms that parents "forget to turn in". I once had a student start to throw up and run a high fever on the first day of school so the office tried to reach the parents. It turned out that the parents changed their phone number (or it was disconnected) AND dad was not working at the job that was listed from last year AND the grandparents had changed their phone number (or it was disconnected) AND the emergency contact had moved away. So we could not reach anyone. When the parent finally came to pick their child up at the end of the day they couldn't understand why the principal was angry with them.
Contact information I'll agree, but the teacher and school really do not need to know my income, my net worth, whether I own or rent, how many computers I have in the home, what I do for a living or anything like that. Nor is there a legit reason for the dozen or so "contracts" students and parents are required to sign for every teacher now days. If the teacher or the school has a problem with me, then take it up with me. But don't hold my child hostage to do it.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Contact information I'll agree, but the teacher and school really do not need to know my income, my net worth, whether I own or rent, how many computers I have in the home, what I do for a living or anything like that. Nor is there a legit reason for the dozen or so "contracts" students and parents are required to sign for every teacher now days. If the teacher or the school has a problem with me, then take it up with me. But don't hold my child hostage to do it.
I can't imagine where you live, as a parent I have never been asked any inappropriate or intrusive questions by any of my children"s schools. They attended a very large metropolitan district. a private, religious school and a upper middle class suburban school district. The only time that financial questions were asked was on the FAFSA for college loans and scholar ships. .

Old 09-28-2015, 07:19 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

Unless you're filling out the Free and Reduced Meals form I've never seen a school form asking for income and certainly not net worth. You may get the second when filling out forms for college financial aid, as well as the own or rent question.

Some schools may now be asking about computers since so many are opting for on-line textbooks rather than printed ones. It makes it difficult to assign work if the kid doesn't have computer access at home (the number that don't surprises people. Many times the kid isn't allowed on the home computer because of inappropriate use).

Addresses are important in areas where there is a lot of military presence and on base housing. Knowing that number helps for calculating payment in lieu of taxes for federal property. That form also asks if the parent is a civilian employee or military member if they work aboard the base.

My school required we assign a homework grade for the return of forms, to answer the original question.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Was the form something that had a time deadline? For example, was it a computer compliance sheet and the students were scheduled to use computers on the second day of school (so your child missed work time) or was it a science/chemical safety/procedures compliance sheet and your child missed a lesson because you had not signed? Or something like that?

In my district it is up to the teacher, most will just give a plus, or extra credit or a small treat or something if the paperwork is in on time.

But, in some schools, in my district, the teacher will get into big trouble with the principal if all of the forms are not collected by the teacher and turned into the office by a certain date (usually the morning of the fourth or fifth day of classes). When you have 25 or 30 elementary students and about ten forms for each child (some with both the child's signature and the parent's signature) that can be a lot of paperwork to keep straight.

It was for a science class that had the classroom policies and lab safety listed out. It was sent home on the very first day of school - Monday, due Tuesday for this teacher....all the rest of the classes were due that Friday. There was no science lab until almost 3 weeks later so there was no crushing deadline and he missed nothing. It was signed and ready to be returned Tues, however he didn't turn it in until Wednesday. He got a zero.

I spent over 11 years in management in a child care center and have been doing child care from my home for 13 years now, so I do know all about the issue of getting forms returned, signed etc. and even more so about getting in touch with parents. I spent one night over 2 hours past closing time waiting for a parent to pick up their child! Also have had parents not be able to be reached when their child was sick and the poor kiddo not get picked up until closing time...6:00 PM.

However, the expectation of a form that has to have a parent signature to be returned the second day of school or else the student gets a zero for a grade is not fair to the student. Especially when only one other teacher out of the 8 gave a grade for it and no one expected it back the next day except this one.

Now if the teacher wanted to give a quiz over lab safety and grade it to see if they actually read the rules....I am all for that. At least it's graded on something they should know.

In our initial email discussion the teacher told me that if he was not happy with his grade, he would still have the opportunity to increase it with a few more grades that will be added in before the end of the grading period. Well, first it's not exactly about the grades but more about the fairness of it and second if the teacher had actually looked at his grades she would see that he can't increase his grade more than 2 more points overall for this grading period, as all his other grades are 100 except for one 92. Can't improve on 100 as it is...so it's again, it's not really about the grade. lol

Then I got a follow up phone call, which conveniently can't be documented....and one thing that is said is that when teaching college this same procedure was followed. Really now? College classes do not require parent signature papers AND this teacher has NOT taught college. (something easy to see on their FB page)

So....now there is no respect from me for this teacher and I am not discussing this issue again in order to make sure there is no fallout against my son in this class.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:44 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Then I got a follow up phone call, which conveniently can't be documented....and one thing that is said is that when teaching college this same procedure was followed. Really now? College classes do not require parent signature papers AND this teacher has NOT taught college. (something easy to see on their FB page)

So....now there is no respect from me for this teacher and I am not discussing this issue again in order to make sure there is no fallout against my son in this class.
I've taken a significant number of college level classes that had labs. At least 50% of them, if not more, required a signed lab safety/rules contract, it is done because of liability. Children can't legally be held responsible, it has to be signed by the parent.

How do you know whether or not they taught college based on their Facebook page? Based on my Facebook I have no children, no spouse or even in a relationship, and no job. Additionally, 23 adults can verify I teach college classes at least once a week, but not my Facebook.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
It was for a science class that had the classroom policies and lab safety listed out. It was sent home on the very first day of school - Monday, due Tuesday for this teacher....all the rest of the classes were due that Friday. There was no science lab until almost 3 weeks later so there was no crushing deadline and he missed nothing. It was signed and ready to be returned Tues, however he didn't turn it in until Wednesday. He got a zero.

However, the expectation of a form that has to have a parent signature to be returned the second day of school or else the student gets a zero for a grade is not fair to the student. Especially when only one other teacher out of the 8 gave a grade for it and no one expected it back the next day except this one.

Now if the teacher wanted to give a quiz over lab safety and grade it to see if they actually read the rules....I am all for that. At least it's graded on something they should know.
While the deadline does seem extremely fast to me, I suspect that the teacher had a good reason to require that. Perhaps he or she had students in past years mess around with the chemicals or Bunsen burners or equipment in the classroom before the first science lab and he wanted the parents to be aware of the dangers and procedures ASAP.

Or perhaps because of the make-up of his particular science classes he felt that it was best to error on the side of caution in making sure that everyone, students and parents alike, were aware of the potential dangers and the safety rules when the children entered the classroom on the second day of classes.

But I just noticed that your child had the signed form in his possession and did not turn it in during class. What's up with that?

Old 09-30-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I've taken a significant number of college level classes that had labs. At least 50% of them, if not more, required a signed lab safety/rules contract, it is done because of liability. Children can't legally be held responsible, it has to be signed by the parent.

How do you know whether or not they taught college based on their Facebook page? Based on my Facebook I have no children, no spouse or even in a relationship, and no job. Additionally, 23 adults can verify I teach college classes at least once a week, but not my Facebook.
On their FB page it says which college this teacher graduated from with a link to the college newsletter in which the announcement was made. Their name is listed with an undergraduate degree and they are currently working on a masters. Pretty certain that virtually every college requires a masters to teach, if not a doctorate, I asked my daughter to ask a former team colleague of that teacher about it since she now teaches at the high school where my daughter teaches. She told the former colleague that her brother has this teacher and that they had said they taught college. She laughed and said the teacher has only been at the middle school for 3 years, does not have her masters and has most definitely not taught college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching