Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:16 AM

395 posts, read 374,412 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I specifically used the word lazy. I only remember telling her it's not acceptable to just do the easy work and give up when you're asked to think. That's essentially the same thing as saying she's lazy though.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:25 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_Fermi View Post
I'm at a school that has lots of behavior issues. The school doesn't even care what is going on here so I'm wondering if they would even care what happened if I just left?

There is rough housing, fighting, etc. I sent a student to get someone in the office who said she'd come soon because she is busy. She never came. I called the 8th grade office who said they were sending someone that never showed up. I called the main office and asked for the resource officer. She said she'd send someone to the classroom and nobody came again.

The school just doesn't care so I think they wouldn't even care or know if I left. This school district pays the highest because subs never come back after a couple times.
Are you there right now? If so, unless you're on lunch or a break, don't go on message boards. 😀

Old 10-28-2015, 12:19 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
I don't know if I specifically used the word lazy. I only remember telling her it's not acceptable to just do the easy work and give up when you're asked to think. That's essentially the same thing as saying she's lazy though.

And, just because the student is SPED, doesn't mean she didn't "get" the implication of laziness.

"Are you sure you're finished?"

"What didn't you understand?"

"Here, let me help you get started."

As it is, as a day to day sub you have zero credibility to question a student's work ethic. A professional helps the student starting at the kid's level.

Oh, by the way, your statement earlier about Black students and teachers is offensive and insulting. As well as probably not based in actuality.

Schools today don't put kids in SPED because of race. It's too expensive is one reason. There are several more.

Boys are in SPED at much greater rates than girls. Is that a conspiracy against boys?

There are times I'm glad this is over the ether and not in person. If it was, you would get a much....harsher is the word I'll use, wake up call from me.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:31 PM

A couple weeks ago I mentioned every time I go to a school with all white kids I seem th em doing creative thinking multimedia projects. When it's all black kids they are doing concrete fill in the blank sheets.

Someone said it's because they have too much going on in their lives that they aren't capable of complex thought. There you go. The reason most kids in special education are black is because teachers think black kids aren't capable of doing as well as white students

Old 10-28-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
A couple weeks ago I mentioned every time I go to a school with all white kids I seem th em doing creative thinking multimedia projects. When it's all black kids they are doing concrete fill in the blank sheets.

Someone said it's because they have too much going on in their lives that they aren't capable of complex thought. There you go. The reason most kids in special education are black is because teachers think black kids aren't capable of doing as well as white students

You don't know the square root of ****.

That also was not what was said, it was what you took out of it. If I remember, that was the thread where you thought it was disgraceful, or something, because 11th graders couldn't do Alg II. Then you went on some sort of tirade.

You would not accept what those of us, who collectively have hundreds of years in the classroom, told you about having to meet the kids where they are and not where they're supposed to be.

You want to see frustration? Give students an assignment for which they don't have the tools. That's what you would do, and did during student teaching.

How'd that work out for you?

Old 10-28-2015, 12:39 PM

Yeah, and according to you, it's because they are black that they aren't capable of doing it.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and according to you, it's because they are black that they aren't capable of doing it.
Oh. When have I ever said that? Please bring up that quote.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:40 PM

I also didn't give any work that grade level standards say they couldn't do.

They can't do 8th grade math? Well, they shouldn't have been passed in 7th grade math. Not my problem.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:44 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:

You are a racist and I hope you are banned from here.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:49 PM

No I'm not racist. I'm talking about the racial bias teachers have with giving black students less challenging work. Read "Multiplication is for White People" by Lisa Delpit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching