Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 10:19 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,926,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
My choices would be Charlotte, E. North Carolina, Jacksonville, Washington State, Utah, Colorado, South Dakota, possibly Milwaukee or South (rural) Louisiana. For the "no" places I wouldn't want Baltimore, New Jersey and a host of other places they'd like you to pick from. NYC or DC would be awfully expensive to live in.

Getting a master's in curriculum and instruction education may be an alternative you might want to consider instead.

Let me chime in on the South Dakota site.

I think teaching on one of the reservations will be a little safer than teaching in most any inner city ghetto. The majority of the schools have housing available for the teacher who come in from outside the area. I'm not sure of the rent arrangements. Some have dormitory setups.

I wouldn't stroll around much after dark in some of the areas, especially if your female. Listen to the advice from your administration. During the daytime you'll be pretty safe most anywhere. Due to rampant alcohol and now drug abuse there, you will run into uncomfortable situations now and then. Don't get me wrong, the majority of people on the reservation will treat you well. They appreciate the fact that you're there, but often what's not appreciated is if you try to push any of your ideals on them. As a whole, they are very stuck in their ways, even if their way doesn't obviously work or doesn't give them a chance of escaping their life of poverty.

Teaching in the classroom you'll discover that there's a disproportionate number of students there with special needs. Fetal alcohol syndrome is rampant there. Many kids are unmotivated. This is often a learned attitude stemming from having most of their family being unemployed and living from government payments. Also, these kids in your class may already have serious drug and alcohol problems even at a very early age

The two biggest adjustments you'll have are, getting used to living in near total isolation from things you now take for granted. You are often 50 to 100 miles from any kind of urban amenities. There is practically no place to go for any relaxation other than being at the school. The other big adjustment is the weather during the winter. It can be brutally cold there and the wind blows all the time in SD. Getting caught in a blizzard is many times life threatening. Driving on the highways in the rez you'll find it's many, many miles between any homes let alone between towns.

You might feel a great deal of satisfaction in knowing you helped make a difference after the 2 year teaching stint is done, provided that you can overcome the negatives I listed above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 11:42 AM

888 posts, read 454,199 times
Why not an intern credential? Typically you attend classes and do practice teaching the summer before (think at least 50-60 hours a week with homework, which is what you'll easily do as a first year teacher), and then work as a full time teacher in a regular teacher job while doing the credential coursework part time. Many programs allow you to get a master's degree after the credential with only a few more courses. Google teacher intern credential programs if you want more info.

Some are reasonably priced. Others are expensive, but you have an income and get the master's much sooner. That allows you to move up on the salary scale faster, which in turn helps pay back the loan for the credential and master's. It's also a year or two towards retirement.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:47 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
I got hired in my district without having certification. I completed my classes online while teaching full time. I have the same certification that people with education degrees have.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:49 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I got hired in my district without having certification. I completed my classes online while teaching full time. I have the same certification that people with education degrees have.

You were Alt Cert, right? Plus you had college teaching experience. And are in a high need subject.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You were Alt Cert, right? Plus you had college teaching experience. And are in a high need subject.
Yeah, I did alt cert. I had a few years of college teaching experience (which I'm sure helped). French and German are definitely high need in rural Missouri.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:14 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfdog17 View Post
Ok, let me clarify. I know urban districts will be more "dangerous" , but its common knowledge that cities like Chicago or Detorit have some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the country. So in response , I did not put those places on my list.

I know virtually nothing about many of these cities and im looking for any info regarding how dangerous they are , or if there good places to live in general.

I have taught underprivlidged kids before , and I dont really mind. That does not bother me. What bothers me is , that there is violence or heavy gang activity in these cities. I do not want to have to live in a gang ridden neighborhood.

And for the record, I do plan on going into teaching as my full time job. I just had to major in the subject I wanted to teach, rather then get an education degree, due to how my credits transfered.
Hey I resemble that remark. I have been teaching in Detroit for the past 6 years and love it. One is either a teacher or they are not.

Sounds like Colorado would be the perfect fit for you. The underprivileged will love you.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:20 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

French and German are definitely high need in rural Missouri.
Is this sarcasm?

Old 03-04-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Is this sarcasm?
No. For schools that have French/German programs, it can be near impossible to find someone qualified to teach those subjects. I was the only applicant when I applied at my school. No one else wanted to teach in the boonies.

But you're right, there are very few schools in rural areas of any state with French and German programs.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:08 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
What about Honolulu???

Old 03-09-2016, 07:07 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
If you do decide to go through with it, despite warnings, pick your state carefully. Remember, if you get your teacher certification in a particular state, you may not be able to easily move and work in another state without meeting the second state's certification requirements. For example, if you did the NYC teaching fellows and then decided to work/move back home, you'd need your home state's required tests, which will not be the same as the required tests in New York.
Don't disregard this point. If you do want to teach later, pick that state to do your TFA in. Not only can you get certified in that state, but if you do well you may be hired as a regular teacher by the administration. Teacher certifications vary widely by states and many are NOT reciprocal. I know more than a few people from my area that went out of state for college and got their teacher certification in a Southern State and were surprised that not only did their certification not transfer to Pennsylvania, but they would have to take classes and different tests to be certified here.

My daughter taught in a charter school in NYC a few years ago along side TFA people. She actually found that they had more support than she did and they were required to get state certified. However, the year after she taught there the school had it's charter revoked and the TFA's were placed in another school. And yes, there were some that only lasted the first month.

I agree with most posters that TFA is not looked upon well by most people in education.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching