Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 03:22 PM

104 posts, read 151,274 times

Advertisements

Right now, in my home state, everyone is complaining about the shortage of ESL teachers. As an education major, this was one of the reasons I chose to specialize in TESOL. However, deportations of all illegal immigrants and limits on the number of legal immigrants could end the shortage, or even turn it it into an oversupply ESL teachers. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 04:12 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
People don't realize that the president doesn't have as much power as they want everyone to believe. However, a president is really good at bringing up ideas.

Blame congress for most things.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:56 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:11 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Yes, but probably not for the reason you think. Trump says he wants to abolish the federal Department of Education and send control of education back to the states where it constitutionally belongs. That will totally change the face of education, including the end of federal mandates that currently create a large number of special programs. It is one of the few things I agree with Trump about.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:11 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,254,094 times
There are so many layers of bureaucracy and rules at both the federal and state levels that I doubt you have anything to worry about at all. Usually when a politician says abolish or reduce regulations and paperwork, it all seems to grow even larger.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBuckeye View Post
Right now, in my home state, everyone is complaining about the shortage of ESL teachers. As an education major, this was one of the reasons I chose to specialize in TESOL. However, deportations of all illegal immigrants and limits on the number of legal immigrants could end the shortage, or even turn it it into an oversupply ESL teachers. What do you guys think?
In 2012 nearly 9% of children under 18 had one illegal parent.
In 4 years I imagine that number has grown.
And these children are citizens themselves as they were born here.

I highly doubt that all the illegals will be deported.

ESL will always be needed as we don't do immersion classes with our immigrants like other countries do; they are put into bilingual or fully English classes.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:30 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Yes, but probably not for the reason you think. Trump says he wants to abolish the federal Department of Education and send control of education back to the states where it constitutionally belongs. That will totally change the face of education, including the end of federal mandates that currently create a large number of special programs. It is one of the few things I agree with Trump about.
Special education has been about the only positive thing coming out of the DOE. The rest have been unfunded mandates and overemphasis on testing. Those currently in charge of the DOE are dangerously affiliated with the privatization movement, favoring charters, testing companies and Teach for America.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:53 AM

393 posts, read 409,236 times
Never happen.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:45 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
Trump DOES NOT have that kind of authority, thankfully. All a Trump precedency would be is maybe a little relaxing of tough federal mandates on Education and maybe a little more ability for the states and cities to decide what programs they want to be a part of, if he can even get that much pull. Special interest groups, judges, lawyers, activist groups, and people in higher places than the president are the ones who make THOSE kinds of nightmares happen.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:38 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,066,660 times
This assumes that 1) all undocumented people speak non-English languages and (2) there are no citizens/perm residents/visa holders in need of ENL services.

In reality (well, my NYC educator reality) half of all ENL students were born in the US to parents that speak other languages. With the additional mandatory support services and overall population increases in NYC, I'd say your degree is still a safe bet in my 'hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching