Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 05:01 AM

7,154 posts, read 9,258,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
The strange thing is that the students don't understand that these programs are for poor people. They are quick to tell you that they aren't poor, but they don't get that really, "low income" is another word for "poor".
This is very true.

I grew up in a family with 7 kids and not much money so we frequently missed meals. I slept on the concrete floor for awhile because we couldn't afford a mattress for me. I had cardboard sheets in my shoes to cover the holes and in the summer I frequently went barefoot.

But I never thought of myself as poor. I didn't know that we were much different from the other people.

However, coming from that beginning actually helped me in life because it made me tough. I figured out how to adapt and how to succeed in spite of the obstacles. I learned that I could always find work and earn a living by just being creative, inquisitive, and not being afraid to take risks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 05:22 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,677,079 times
I have no idea who is/isn't on free/reduced lunch. But, it's probably not difficult to imagine who is based on family status, clothing, and student address.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:55 PM

11,597 posts, read 12,636,246 times
Our students eat lunch in the classrooms under the supervision of the teachers. School lunch is delivered to the classroom. The parents can order the school lunch and pay for it per month. Some do not have to pay or pay at a reduced rate. Some send their child with a lunch from home. The teacher is given a list of all of the students in the class and next to each name is a code. Staff and teachers are aware which code represents paid, reduced, or free. The teacher has to mark any name of a student that had school lunch. After lunch, the teacher has to tally how many paid lunches, reduced lunches, or free lunches were served. This information is used for funding for the meal programs. That only provides information about lunch, not the families' finances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching