Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 06:35 AM

280 posts, read 421,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Depending on what "hitting" was, clearing the room may have been appropriate. But I can't presume, as obviously nobody but the OP witnessed.

John Doe, while rolling around on the floor reached up and punched another student in the legs with a clenched first. The teacher did nothing. He kept rolling around making noises all morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 10:58 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times
This classroom is obviously not a good fit for you. Things happen in a SPED classroom and the rules are different. We have no idea what his IEP's are or if he is on a behavior contract.

Maybe they are documenting everything during an observation period, in order to get him additional help.

We weren't there and we don't know the circumstances. Listing an isolated incident doesn't help us understand the situation.

Sorry this happened on your watch. Maybe you should become an aide in a mainstream classroom or work in the book room/office aide.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
This classroom is obviously not a good fit for you. Things happen in a SPED classroom and the rules are different. We have no idea what his IEP's are or if he is on a behavior contract.

Maybe they are documenting everything during an observation period, in order to get him additional help.

We weren't there and we don't know the circumstances. Listing an isolated incident doesn't help us understand the situation.

Sorry this happened on your watch. Maybe you should become an aide in a mainstream classroom or work in the book room/office aide.
I already knew it wasn't a good fit when I witnessed that behavior. 90 percent of my work is in resource rooms where this is not happening. I get many call backs to come back and sub so I know I am useful to the teachers I serve.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:17 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan_Davis View Post
What are NVCI principles? And what about the safety of the other students? This boy tried to hit almost every student in the class as well as the adults. What about the fact that he got no work done? I still stand by my statement it is frustrating to watch. Perhaps it doesn't bother others.
But did the boy know what he was doing? If he didn't understand you wouldn't send him to the office.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
But did the boy know what he was doing? If he didn't understand you wouldn't send him to the office.
Speaking as someone who has only been there for one day-I can say that the boy appeared to know what he was doing. He was saying that the class was a bunch of "retards" and that he could do whatever he wanted because the principal never does anything anyway. And I can't discipline a child as a substitute, that's for the regular aide or the teacher, so I cannot send anyone to the office. It's a rule in my district.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Speaking as someone who has only been there for one day-I can say that the boy appeared to know what he was doing. He was saying that the class was a bunch of "retards" and that he could do whatever he wanted because the principal never does anything anyway. And I can't discipline a child as a substitute, that's for the regular aide or the teacher, so I cannot send anyone to the office. It's a rule in my district.
He may have been echoliaic. The fact he was rolling on the floor making noises make me think autism. Either way he was in the room for a reason. Did the boy he hit get upset?

Old 05-03-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
He may have been echoliaic. The fact he was rolling on the floor making noises make me think autism. Either way he was in the room for a reason. Did the boy he hit get upset?
Yes, the boy who got hurt kept saying his arm hurt. Hopefully everyone involved got the help they needed. I haven't been back since and don't plan on taking a gig there next time.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
John Doe, while rolling around on the floor reached up and punched another student in the legs with a clenched first. The teacher did nothing. He kept rolling around making noises all morning.
Quote:
Yes, the boy who got hurt kept saying his arm hurt. Hopefully everyone involved got the help they needed. I haven't been back since and don't plan on taking a gig there next time.
But you said he was punched in the leg?

Old 05-03-2016, 09:41 PM

Sorry there were 2 kids hurt by John Doe. Like I said case closed, I'm not going back, hopefully everyone gets helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching