Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 04:35 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Spanish and Mandarin are the two I most often see requesting native speakers. With Spanish it's because of the huge number of native speakers in the U.S., and I suspect with Mandarin it's because of the difficulty of pronouncing the language properly when learning the language as an adult. Mandarin must be hard to fill, though, because I see fewer and fewer postings specifically stating native speakers.

By the way, NYC says that World Languages is a hard to fill position, but it doesn't specify which languages.
FL positions are harder to fill too specifically at the k-6 level in immersion classes because those teachers must be dual certified. It's a special teacher that is capable and willing to teach English speaking children new material and concepts as they are also learning a FL. Once the kids are in middle and high school, they are just teaching the language, and the culture.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 11:50 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
FL positions are harder to fill too specifically at the k-6 level in immersion classes because those teachers must be dual certified. It's a special teacher that is capable and willing to teach English speaking children new material and concepts as they are also learning a FL. Once the kids are in middle and high school, they are just teaching the language, and the culture.
Yes,but many districts are saying languages in general are hard to fill, not just immersion. (I'm weird and randomly look at teacher openings in different states.) I was looking again last night, and even most of the Spanish openings are no longer requesting native speakers.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:52 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
In the are of the Northwest where I am, Chinese (Mandarin) is offered in many middle and high schools. All the teachers I've seen are native Chinese speakers, but that's not to say that is a requirement.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:03 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
I don't know about teaching Chinese but their is a humongous demand in China for English Teachers (I think their is a stereotype that foreigners like Americans who live in East Asia tend to be english teachers). I know this isn't exactly what you asked but you could always practice your Chinese, while teaching English to students and out of school.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:46 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Spanish and Mandarin are the two I most often see requesting native speakers. With Spanish it's because of the huge number of native speakers in the U.S., and I suspect with Mandarin it's because of the difficulty of pronouncing the language properly when learning the language as an adult. Mandarin must be hard to fill, though, because I see fewer and fewer postings specifically stating native speakers.

By the way, NYC says that World Languages is a hard to fill position, but it doesn't specify which languages.
It's not a shortage area in NYC. There is a lot of turnover because of the administration, but there are thousands of bodies willing to take their places. Getting a job with the NYC board of ed is very hard, but sticking it out for 5 years is even harder. There are no shortage of Chinese nationals or first gens working for the NYC board of ed. Usually, only the handful of high level high schools offer Chinese as a world language. The website for parents, applications, notices, forms for parents are all available in Mandarin to accommodate the large number of Chinese students in NYC public schools.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:25 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It's not a shortage area in NYC. There is a lot of turnover because of the administration, but there are thousands of bodies willing to take their places. Getting a job with the NYC board of ed is very hard, but sticking it out for 5 years is even harder. There are no shortage of Chinese nationals or first gens working for the NYC board of ed. Usually, only the handful of high level high schools offer Chinese as a world language. The website for parents, applications, notices, forms for parents are all available in Mandarin to accommodate the large number of Chinese students in NYC public schools.
Well, the NYC teacher website says differently than you. As I said, it says World Languages but not which languages. (The schools I grew up in put all forms in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese, but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be a shortage of Vietnamese language teachers. The high school is currently looking for three Vietnamese language teachers.) Speaking a language and teaching a language are two different things.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:35 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Well, the NYC teacher website says differently than you. As I said, it says World Languages but not which languages. (The schools I grew up in put all forms in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese, but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be a shortage of Vietnamese language teachers. The high school is currently looking for three Vietnamese language teachers.) Speaking a language and teaching a language are two different things.
The NYC Board of Ed website says a lot of misleading things. This is my turf. There are no shortages of NYS certified teachers who can teach Chinese. As I said, the demand in NYC is not to teach Chinese as a world language to non-Chinese speakers, but rather to teach in the immersion/bilingual programs geared toward native Chinese speakers, as well as offering language support to parents and students who may be ENL/ELL. If one is certified in special ed and is a native Chinese speaker, then that makes that person more competitive. As for teaching World Languages, the most popular is Spanish in the NYC Schools. It's common for a Spanish speaker to get their certification in ESL, then tack on a bilingual extension, and sometimes just take the coursework and the tests to get certified in teaching Spanish as a World Language. There is more demand for Chinese as a World Language in the surrounding suburbs.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:42 AM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
Huntsville City Schools, Huntsville, Alabama is currently looking for foreign language teachers for the 2016-17 school year.

Mandarin and Spanish, especially someone who could teach Mandarin to middle school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching