Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 07:36 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
And teaching them that doesn't have to involve unprofessional sarcastic comments.
Which, of course, they will never see or experience from their bosses, co-workers, college professors, or any other adult they face out of high school.

And the two words "unprofessional" and "sarcastic" are mutually inclusive, correct?

Wrong.

It might be to you, but please don't presume that what you do/feel is the only way to deal with students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 08:39 PM

331 posts, read 369,723 times
On many of my algebra tests, I "differentiate" by allowing the students to only complete a certain number of problems in a certain section. Example, on a test I gave on factoring 2 weeks ago, there were 14 problems and they could choose any 3 to skip. Of course, this makes it seem like they are "winning" - however, I know the types of problems that they will skip (anything with a fraction or with a "large" number) and make sure to put MORE than the number they can skip on the quiz.

The point of this is: I allow all of them to answer the extras if they want, and if they are correct, extra credit can be earned. It's a simple way to reward those who do well all the time, and give a little extra incentive to the others. I had several students get over 100% on that test.

Another way I offer "extra credit" is by offering the whole class the opportunity to bring in a box of tissues for the class - 2 points per box, up to 2 boxes per quarter.

In terms of make-up assignments, I do let anyone who wants to, turn in assignments for half-credit. But, it's more of a pain for me to deal with than I think it's worth. More often than not, I know the students just copied from someone else, or wrote down the answers when I went over it. Of course, I can't actually prove that so I can't get them for cheating -- but I supposed in the end, it comes back to them when they don't do well on a quiz or test.

And re: sarcasm: It helps keep me sane during the day!

Old 05-18-2016, 09:08 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
I'm sorry, I don't think that what you wrote matches what you intended?

You said that Administration required two weeks to make up missing work, but then you said you were generous by allowing her two weeks. You aren't being generous by doing what Administration dictates!
The policy states that teachers are permitted to allow students to retake missing assignments up to 2 weeks after return from school.

The wording is very interesting. It's almost as if we are only allowed to give them two weeks.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:57 PM

480 posts, read 668,197 times
The problem with allowing students 1/2 credit for missed assignments is this has a potential of significant improvement to those students who miss assignments but does nothing for students who do all assignments but perhaps didn't do as well on them as they would have liked.

I know it's hard to be fair to all but I tried being an A student, but sometimes slid in the B range. I never got opportunities to improve my score last minute, but watched lots of students who didn't bother doing half the assignments get opportunities not provided to me to bring their score up. It was rather frustrating.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:43 AM

404 posts, read 366,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Oh, yeah, and being a smartass is never becoming in a teacher. There are always teachers who think it's a cool personal to cultivate, but it really just makes you look like a dick. You can be no-nonsense and have boundaries without being sarcastic and douchey.
Omg, some people need to get over themselves. Oh you teachers cant be sarcastic because it will hurt their students itty bitty little feelings. Amd then they get a job in the real world and their boss is a total dbag. You set them up for failure like this

Old 05-19-2016, 03:46 AM

404 posts, read 366,690 times
Quote:
And teaching them that doesn't have to involve unprofessional sarcastic comments.
Well they need to toughen up anyway

Old 05-19-2016, 03:54 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
We are going to hav to agree to disagree. But I will say that given the number of college students who think it is ok to ask this inappropriate question the last day of class, I don't think they are learning it from "more professional" teachers at all.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:01 AM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
The problem with allowing students 1/2 credit for missed assignments is this has a potential of significant improvement to those students who miss assignments but does nothing for students who do all assignments but perhaps didn't do as well on them as they would have liked.

I know it's hard to be fair to all but I tried being an A student, but sometimes slid in the B range. I never got opportunities to improve my score last minute, but watched lots of students who didn't bother doing half the assignments get opportunities not provided to me to bring their score up. It was rather frustrating.

That's true but the kids who didn't do the work the first time generally don't do it the second time for 1/2 credit.

In a world of test retakes until you pass part of it is CYA.
Administrator (with parent sitting next to him): What did you do to help make this student successful?
Teacher: Nothing, he didn't do the work the first time, there are deadlines in life.
Administrator: We'll talk tomorrow during your planning. Mrs. Jones, I'll take care of the grade.

OR:
Administrator (with parent sitting next to him): What did you do to help make this student successful?
Teacher: Well, in addition to the regular assignment he was given the opportunity last week to make up what he missed for partial credit.
Administrator: I'm sorry Mrs. Jones, your son was given opportunity to pull his grade up.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:45 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down in a Hole View Post
Omg, some people need to get over themselves. Oh you teachers cant be sarcastic because it will hurt their students itty bitty little feelings. Amd then they get a job in the real world and their boss is a total dbag. You set them up for failure like this
Yeah, basic respect does that. <---- Ooh, look. Sarcasm.

P.S. "You teachers? " I am a teacher.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:24 PM

211 posts, read 211,913 times
Quote:
I never used sarcasm when students would ask an earnest question because I wanted to model the behavior I wanted to see from them.

To me, if a HS student took the initiative to come up to me and ask instead rather than slinking out of the room every day and not caring about their grades, I would offer SOME kind of goal.

It often wouldn't be enough to raise it a letter grade, etc, but I tried to see it as a reward for their effort, even if it was late and "half-aced" effort.

I also advised them on the benefits of working hard consistently throughout the term vs. trying to stage late-term heroics.
Bingo. I love that attitude. Even if kids get snarky, it's always good to show them kindness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching