Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 06:39 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Texting rather than calling and it being rude to call are already an adaptation.

Apart from people just not being present in their world, the bullying potential scares me. When someone goes after you online and it's not your whole world you can walk away. When it is your whole world and the high school mean girl can essentially follow you home and into your bedroom how can a child cope with that?

Cyber bullying is a serious issue. I agree. They can't walk away from it and everything they post on line is permanent and prone to coming back in their faces at a later date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 06:59 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Adults are addicted also, even senior citizens. Look around -there are phone zombies everywhere. I was in the supermarket twice in the past week trying to grab something from the produce section and an adult was standing in front of the produce that I wanted. But the adult was texting away on the smart phone, totally oblivious to what was going on around her. She stood there thumbing away for over 2 minutes. Different store and a different adult a few days later. They were in a daze. I bite my lip to prevent saying anything. Maybe one of them was looking up an grocery list for all I know. But these people have turned into Zombies.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:20 AM

110 posts, read 110,121 times
Phones and electronics in general are hurting our kids. I find it very concerning when students in my class have no idea how to play on the playground with their peers. Unfortunately many parents find it easier to give their kids an electronic device then actually help the child grow socially and emotionally.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaverso View Post
Phones and electronics in general are hurting our kids. I find it very concerning when students in my class have no idea how to play on the playground with their peers. Unfortunately many parents find it easier to give their kids an electronic device then actually help the child grow socially and emotionally.

Given that socialization is now done through electronic media, kids won't learn to grow socially without a phone because they won't be part of the social group. This is our new reality. Socialization is on line. Is it bad? Good? Time will tell.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:18 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,031 times
iPhones are ruining humanity. I used to TA math in college and they just stare at their phone all day. I could walk right up to them and watch them do it, they don't even care to be subtle about it. I can't remember the last time I was at a crosswalk and saw people actually looking ahead, not down at their phones.

I refuse to get a smartphone. This is one reason, though not the only one.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:28 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Given that socialization is now done through electronic media, kids won't learn to grow socially without a phone because they won't be part of the social group. This is our new reality. Socialization is on line. Is it bad? Good? Time will tell.
Time is already telling.
Most raised "connected" to a device , lack:
Grammar, spelling, math and the big one: Manners.

My son is an English teacher: 7th grade. Due to parents mandating that their kids have their phones at school, it's become a challenge to educate when dear mom or dad is texting them to remind them about after school
Activities. When start of class comes, my son has the kids do basic spelling. Most go.,, this is stupid! My phone auto corrects and so does my phone/iPad. My son says then, when's the last time a phone graduated college or read the engineering plans?

Technology can carry speed of info, but common sense is not an app
Yet.

Unplug, get back to living.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Time is already telling.
Most raised "connected" to a device , lack:
Grammar, spelling, math and the big one: Manners.

My son is an English teacher: 7th grade. Due to parents mandating that their kids have their phones at school, it's become a challenge to educate when dear mom or dad is texting them to remind them about after school
Activities. When start of class comes, my son has the kids do basic spelling. Most go.,, this is stupid! My phone auto corrects and so does my phone/iPad. My son says then, when's the last time a phone graduated college or read the engineering plans?

Technology can carry speed of info, but common sense is not an app
Yet.

Unplug, get back to living.

Nope. What will happen is we will redefine living. This is how it is. Might as well get used to it. Technology isn't going away. Socialization is now through media. While I agree that behavior seems rude do digital natives think that way? It's their world now and it will adapt to what they want.

I agree on parents texting kids though I'm certain it's not parents nearly as much as my students CLAIM it's their parents texting them. I think we could teach kids more if we were allowed to block cell phones in the classroom but that's illegal because it's denying someone a service they pay for. Parents have control here but refuse to use it. When my kids were younger I paid $5/month/line for the ability to restrict their cell phone use at certain times. During school, they could text only me. Their phones were shut off after bedtime. I WISH teachers had this ability.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:20 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
those smart phones have probably done more to fuel the selfishness of people, and particularly younger people who haven't learned better before the phone came out and became commonplace. I'd say anyone under the age of 30 is probably susceptible. my 16 year is a prime example, and it's my f&%$ing fault for ever getting her one in the first place. I should be given some prison time with hard labor for ever getting her a smart phone. I hate myself for it, and what a selfish little bi%$h she has become.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
those smart phones have probably done more to fuel the selfishness of people, and particularly younger people who haven't learned better before the phone came out and became commonplace. I'd say anyone under the age of 30 is probably susceptible. my 16 year is a prime example, and it's my f&%$ing fault for ever getting her one in the first place. I should be given some prison time with hard labor for ever getting her a smart phone. I hate myself for it, and what a selfish little bi%$h she has become.

You're not alone. Without a phone she'd be completely cut off from her generation because that's how they communicate so I'm not sure things would be better if you were the evil parent who wouldn't let her get a phone.

The world will have to adapt to them as they become the dominant members of the work force and parents themselves. It'll be interesting to see what they do given they walk around with the world's libraries literally in their back pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching